macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

I recall War III always being stretched on OS X. Wasn't there some deal where the game resolution was fixed so as to prevent any advantage based on screen size? But not necessarily the UI resolution.

mind you it has been years since i've played War III but I remember when I replaced my eMac with an iMac I always played at 1024x768 because I can't stand games with distorted display. I'll take black bars as long as the designed aspect ratio is maintained.

Also popped into a public Diablo II bnet game, immediately inundated with messages about gold or items or some popsnizzle. Dis is why I only play these things privately with people I know. Though occasionally I'll make an exception for SurslySam and Borderlands.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#22 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 14 March 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

I recall War III always being stretched on OS X. Wasn't there some deal where the game resolution was fixed so as to prevent any advantage based on screen size? But not necessarily the UI resolution.

mind you it has been years since i've played War III but I remember when I replaced my eMac with an iMac I always played at 1024x768 because I can't stand games with distorted display. I'll take black bars as long as the designed aspect ratio is maintained.

The game never had a fixed resolution IIRC.

OK, I just tried it at 1920x1080, and you are indeed correct--it's stretched (even though it doesn't say so like the PC version). I must have a very high tolerance for these things. I could only really tell it was stretched by looking at the not-square buttons, which clearly become square when I ran it in a window. It was also probably harder to notice on the much-lower resolutions I was playing on.

In any case, the PC version didn't have widescreen at *all* till a much later patch around 2013 or so. Hopefully they'll do it properly this time, though it would require them to redraw the UI art...

#23 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostCougar, on 14 March 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

The game never had a fixed resolution IIRC.

OK, I just tried it at 1920x1080, and you are indeed correct--it's stretched (even though it doesn't say so like the PC version). I must have a very high tolerance for these things. I could only really tell it was stretched by looking at the not-square buttons, which clearly become square when I ran it in a window. It was also probably harder to notice on the much-lower resolutions I was playing on.

In any case, the PC version didn't have widescreen at *all* till a much later patch around 2013 or so. Hopefully they'll do it properly this time, though it would require them to redraw the UI art...

I thought the engine itself was fixed at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 or something and then was just scaled accordingly based on the resolution the user set but I may be muddling up whats going on (or using the rong terminology). I was pretty big into War III back in the early 2000s and I remember everyone making a big deal about monitor size and resolution having no effect on the competitiveness of the multiplayer because no matter what you set the actual assets displayed were identical (if albeit stretched).

I think it's harder to notice the assets looking off with War III because the low poly count already has a distorted look to it (compared to the pixels of War II and Starcraft).
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#24 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:04 AM

Weh, you can play in a higher resolution, UN FAIR FOUL FOUL CHEEETZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

srsly. git gud kid n stfu

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#25 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:30 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 14 March 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

I thought the engine itself was fixed at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 or something and then was just scaled accordingly based on the resolution the user set but I may be muddling up whats going on (or using the rong terminology). I was pretty big into War III back in the early 2000s and I remember everyone making a big deal about monitor size and resolution having no effect on the competitiveness of the multiplayer because no matter what you set the actual assets displayed were identical (if albeit stretched).

Ah, that sounds likely. My dad's 15" widescreen Titanium powerbook only had a resolution of 1280x854, so it would've been hard to notice.

#26 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:35 AM

I guess I need to look again but the Diablo II Mac version I just installed has no resolution setting options at all. I do own the Battle Chest editions of the Blizzard classics and each has Mac installers but they are not Intel of course. So, I don't know how I'd get wide resolution by having them. The other thing is, wouldn't the newest version level be different, possibly impacting battlenet connectivity? It's not a big deal probably although I wonder if they won't use that to provide updates if needed to these new versions.

If the best version for Mac already existed and still works with only the installer being the issue previously, I don't get why they wouldn't have just created a new installer to install that existing version.

In any event, still no complaints here but it would be nice to gain widescreen if possible and I'd probably be okay with stretched. I'd like to see it anyway and be able to revert back if I didn't like it.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#27 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:45 AM

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/diablo-ii

This suggests no option if you want multiplayer at least.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#28 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

Warcraft III patch is out: http://us.battle.net...pic/20743004520

#29 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

View PostCougar, on 15 March 2016 - 08:55 AM, said:

Warcraft III patch is out: http://us.battle.net...pic/20743004520

From its patch notes:

Throw away that old PowerPC Mac in the closet,…

Never!!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#30 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

How sweet it is!

Tell me next and soon about the new release for StarCraft!

Off to commence to downloading and installing and stuff!

#31 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

Wow! It supports widescreen resolutions! I set it to 1440p and it looks great but seems to scale itself so everything isn't tiny which is great. That's really sweet. The best I could get with the windows version I'd setup with Wineskin was 4:3 1024 x 1024 if I recall correctly. There was no widescreen support.

I only took a quick look just now and it looked nice to me. If it is stretched I didn't notice it.

Man, you just have to love Blizzard. You just have to. :)

Edit: Actually, it might have been 1600 x 1200 in the Windows version for a maximum but I forget now.

#32 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

It is stretched, no different than the old Mac version. You can tell because the build icons aren't square like they should be.

#33 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostCougar, on 15 March 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

It is stretched, no different than the old Mac version. You can tell because the build icons aren't square like they should be.

But we still make out better as mac users because my understanding is our version of the game will do all the scaling in game (with whatever resolution you set) and those wandows suckers can't. Functionally the same but I like feeling superior. :teehee:

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 15 March 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

From its patch notes:

Throw away that old PowerPC Mac in the closet,…

Never!!

I have this old PowerPC, the last tower they built, residing peacefully on a stand, ready to be activated.  You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 Spike

Spike

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:11 PM

Blizzard, on 15 March 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

- Throw away that old PowerPC Mac in the closet, we’ve created a new installer to support Mac 10.10 and 10.11

Never! My PowerMac G4 and others are from when Apple made awesome desktop computers. Now I hate their non-upgradable desktops and only buy their laptops.

Also, what is with the support Mac 10.10 and 10.11 instead of saying Mac 10.10 and later?

Anyway, I have been playing the Intel Warcraft III fine, I guess it is its installer is intel now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diablo II, Blizzard, So long PPC