#1 MacgamerHQ

MacgamerHQ

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

Hey guys,

Just a heads up. I just released a massive guide with the Top 100 Mac games. The descriptions are detailed and you can also filter the games by genre, paid or free, and even the type of Mac needed:
http://www.macgamerh...best-mac-games/

Your thoughts? I would appreciate your feedback.

Ric

Ric from MacGamerHQ.com

#2 ukimalefu

ukimalefu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:44 PM

Why isn't Marathon at the top of every category? and top overall. Ever. I didn't see it. If it is there, it should be at the top.

I mean... nice list. Thanks for still believing in Mac gaming.

Ok, bye, I'm going back into stasis. Wake me up when we reach Alpha Centauri.

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

That list comes out as one made by someone who started gaming within the last 5 years, and is *extremely* subjective. Half of the games on the list gives me a "wut?" moment, and the rest are good but wouldn't have made an 'all time best' list. You should change the title to "Best Mac games of the last 5 years" or something.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 MacgamerHQ

MacgamerHQ

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 05 March 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

That list comes out as one made by someone who started gaming within the last 5 years, and is *extremely* subjective. Half of the games on the list gives me a "wut?" moment, and the rest are good but wouldn't have made an 'all time best' list. You should change the title to "Best Mac games of the last 5 years" or something.

Agreed, it mainly focuses on modern games. In fact, that's why I didn't use the title "Best Mac games of all time". But I do mention that somewhere so I get why someone would be disappointed to not see the old classics. At the same time, I don't think it would be useful to the average Mac user and / or gamer to have 50 old games that aren't relevant today. But as you said, this is subjective...
Ric from MacGamerHQ.com

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

I'm wondering why you are surprised by SR Hong Kong's editor. Both previous games already had one. In fact, the editor was already a major feature in SR Returns original Kickstarter campaign.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

View PostMacgamerHQ, on 05 March 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

At the same time, I don't think it would be useful to the average Mac user and / or gamer to have 50 old games that aren't relevant today.

Why not? Just because it's old doesn't make it irrelevant. As long as the game is still available (thanks to GOG, Steam or being free) I would think they're extremely relevant, especially for Mac users. By far the majority of Macs sold are laptops with crap graphics cards, so being aware of amazing games with paltry requirements should be valuable. Older games I would include:

• Alpha Centauri, GOG (seriously, get that Beyond Earth popsnizzle outta there)
• Riven (available from GOG and made OS X-able with this.)
• Planescape: Torment, GOG
• The Dig
• The Longest Journey
• Baldur's Gate, BG2 (these are recent remasters)

#7 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:08 PM

View PostCougar, on 05 March 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

Just because it's old doesn't make it irrelevant. As long as the game is still available (thanks to GOG, Steam or being free) I would think they're extremely relevant, especially for Mac users. By far the majority of Macs sold are laptops with crap graphics cards, so being aware of amazing games with paltry requirements should be valuable.
Agreed. Last Fall I bought myself a Mac Mini (i5 2.6Ghz 2014 model) which only boasts the lowly integrated Intel Iris graphics. It's no gaming powerhouse for sure, but it has game, none the less.

Especially once you consider using something like Wine/skin to boot. There are quite a lot of older Windows games that run splendidly via the former. PaulTheTall.com is without a doubt the best resource for something like that. Thanks to it I've been able to easily install and play games such as Dungeon Keeper 2, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, Rayman 2, System Shock, TES: Morrowind, Silent Storm, Unreal Tournament, Populous: The Beginning, Hitman 1-3, etc.. among many others that are available. :)

Oh, btw... *rises from the dead* ;)
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:16 AM

Your Mac recommendation for Team Fortress 2 is wrong. You say a recent mac with average specs, but that game literally requires a potato to run. The recommended specs are ones that a 2006 iMac would meet.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:30 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 06 March 2016 - 12:16 AM, said:

Your Mac recommendation for Team Fortress 2 is wrong. You say a recent mac with average specs, but that game literally requires a potato to run.

Can confirm. Just carved an Apple logo into a potato and it ran Team Fortress 2.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:21 AM

View PostMacgamerHQ, on 05 March 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

In fact, that's why I didn't use the title "Best Mac games of all time".
Posted Image

And in any event "Top Mac Games" really does mean the same, and certainly not "My personal list of top Mac games the last 5 years, which is not any way affected by metacritic scores"

At the same time, I don't think it would be useful to the average Mac user and / or gamer to have 50 old games that aren't relevant today. But as you said, this is subjective...
Just because a game is old, does mean it isn't awesome.

View PostFrost, on 06 March 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

Can confirm. Just carved an Apple logo into a potato and it ran Team Fortress 2.
That would be TF1. If it was TF2, the potato would be needing to wear a hat.
Posted Image

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#11 MacgamerHQ

MacgamerHQ

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:38 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 06 March 2016 - 12:16 AM, said:

Your Mac recommendation for Team Fortress 2 is wrong. You say a recent mac with average specs, but that game iterally requires a potato to run. The recommended specs are ones that a 2006 iMac would meet.

You're right, I just changed it to "low". Thanks for the heads up.
Ric from MacGamerHQ.com

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

I just clicked the link in the OP and was very quickly reminded why I have not visited the site in a long time by a pop up asking me to sign up for a newsletter I used to get but also stopped. I do not appreciate this pop up telling me the following:

"No thanks. I'd rather not learn how to play games on my Mac" if I choose not to accept the newsletter.

You are in pretty tough shape if you cannot figure out how to play a game or run any app on a Macintosh computer for openers. I am not real fond of having my intelligence insulted every time I visit someplace in this way. Mind you, I am not full of myself. I do not think I am Einstein but I also do not need to be told about it on a regular basis. I have family members who handle that for me. :)

I gave you input on that in the past and I see nothing has changed so I am sorry but I will leave it to others to review the list, etc. I don't visit anymore and I won't until and if the pop overs go away at the minimum. Sorry. That is useful feedback if you make use of it.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#13 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 05 March 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

To be fair, Ric started gaming on Mac merely 4 years ago. He won't be telling you stories about Quarterstaff, Spaceship Warlock or Pathways Into Darkness. :-)
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#14 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:49 PM

I played that over and over. And I think it was the first time I felt a game was too short. It was so awesome. Just the right level of "try random things that makes sense and see what happens".

View PostJan, on 06 March 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

To be fair, Ric started gaming on Mac merely 4 years ago. He won't be telling you stories about Quarterstaff, Spaceship Warlock or Pathways Into Darkness. :-)
Again, then he shouldnt mess around with "best mac games of all time" :P

#16 MacgamerHQ

MacgamerHQ

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 06 March 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

I played that over and over. And I think it was the first time I felt a game was too short. It was so awesome. Just the right level of "try random things that makes sense and see what happens".

Again, then he shouldnt mess around with "best mac games of all time" :P

Well played ;)

And thanks for the screenshot lol
I removed it from the title before publishing but forgot the subtitle... I removed that yesterday. From what I can see here, you guys are prime for a round up of all the classics. :P
Ric from MacGamerHQ.com

#17 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostMacgamerHQ, on 07 March 2016 - 02:32 AM, said:

Well played ;)

And thanks for the screenshot lol
I removed it from the title before publishing but forgot the subtitle... I removed that yesterday. From what I can see here, you guys are prime for a round up of all the classics. :P

You should see our good lord and saviour: the marathon 4 thread.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

View PostMacgamerHQ, on 07 March 2016 - 02:32 AM, said:

From what I can see here, you guys are prime for a round up of all the classics. :P

Nailed it!  Bring it on MacGamerHQ.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

As long as it's playable on any modern Mac it should be game for a modern list. So anything available at GoG should be ripe for the picking.

Pretty much I'm saying put Judgement Rites on a list or I'm gunna hunt you down.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD