12 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

I was surprised to see Descent: Underground for sale: http://www.macgamest...nt-Underground/

The product is in alpha testing now. I guess they are selling early access but I think the listing should make that clear. There are bugs and placeholder art, and the list of features is changing pretty rapidly.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#2 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

Almost got this because of nostalgia but then I realised it was a early access title and the Mac build was only just added from the notes plus it says no single player campaign yet....

Will wait for it to be finished as I have plenty to go at anyway.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

Yeah I've tried to add (early access) to the titles, but someone keeps going in and clearing them off. So I've given up trying to make it clear.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

Oh but yeah, the game looks kind of cool. I enjoyed the original descents (as much as I could as they played so slowly on my old macs)... the opening sequence in the vids looks good so far, if only they can carry through and deliver that brilliance to the end of the single player campaign, I will certainly be buying it.

But as early access? frak no.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:06 AM

You guys probably already know this but just in case: you can get all three original Descent games on GOG although you will need Windows to play the 3rd one I think. The first two are probably setup in Boxer but I forget now.

This looks cool to me too but I don't do early access anything. I'll just wait and see how it turns out, hopefully very well.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 01 March 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

You guys probably already know this but just in case: you can get all three original Descent games on GOG although you will need Windows to play the 3rd one I think. The first two are probably setup in Boxer but I forget now.

FWIW descent 3 works fine in crossover.

https://www.codeweav...sover/descent-3
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 01 March 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

FWIW descent 3 works fine in crossover.

https://www.codeweav...sover/descent-3

Ah, that's cool. When I was posting about the originals, I did wonder about Wine in some form for the third one but was too lazy to go investigate that. That's good to know. That means that you could play all of them without reboots and going forward you can play the first Descent Freespace with Wine and the second one with an excellent well regarded source port last I knew but I've not ever tried it as of yet. I'm pretty sure GOG already has the first Freespace game setup with Wineskin. I know these last two games are very different animals than the first three but they were next in line sort of so I figured I'd make mention of them although again you guys already know about those anyway I imagine.

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:35 PM

FWIW I don't think they are planning much of a single-player campaign for Descent Underground. They do plan one, but I think its main purpose is to show you the ropes. I don't think it's going to have elaborate scripted levels, or much in the way of cut scenes or voice acting.

If you like the full single-player Descent experience, you may want to back this one: https://www.kickstar...hoote?ref=users
Yet another 6DOF shooter, this one from the Parallax veterans who created the original Descent. "Destroy robots, rescue hostages, blow up the reactor, and escape before the whole thing explodes."

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

So it is a multiplayer game? Umm, not for me then, not that anyway. The other sounds good but I'll wait on it to appear someday if it does.

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, I've no interest in a multiplayer descent. Meh. I want to enjoy something like that on my own terms in a PvE environment. Not deal with mp players.

-Fm [1oM7]

#11 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:55 AM

I'm primarily a single-player gamer, but back in the day we has some great LAN parties to play Descent (also Myth) so a few of us are hoping to recreate that. Private matches will be the norm for us.

Mind you, many of the people backing this game are old-timers so maybe we wouldn't be all that bad in public matches.

I want to enjoy something like that on my own terms in a PvE environment. Not deal with mp players.

Like all games still in development, this is subject to change. I'll let people know how the single-player campaign develops. And they do plan for the game to be fully moddable so there could be some spectacular campaigns released by the community-- the community is already generating maps and other assets for it.

But the other one looks to be the interesting one for single-player right out of the box. Frankly they could use more backers, not sure they're going to make their goal.

#12 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:39 AM

Thought I should mention, the Overload kickstarter is going to release a playable Windows build to the public! It's a Windows-only unoptimized tech demo, but even in this primordial state I had a lot of fun with it. Looks great, feels great (except I had to turn down the resolution.)

If you are hankering for a modern single-player Descent game then try the demo and consider backing the kickstarter. They are at risk to not make their goal, but the demo shows that they know what they are doing. I have every expectation that this game will ship next year as intended, and these are the original Descent developers after all.

https://www.kickstar...hoote?ref=users

#13 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

FYI - Overload kickstarter has released a Mac version of the tech demo as well, but only to backers. (Plus a public VR build.)

For the Mac version, if the menus are garbled then try running it in a window instead of full-screen. I'm the only one who reported that problem though.

Anyway, the reassuring point is that the Mac & Linux versions are not vaporware. I backed Descent Underground and I don't regret it, but I think I'm looking forward to this one more. It's the original Descent developers, making the Descent game that I'd been missing.