DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

I don't recall seeing this discussed yet anywhere aside of mention the game's Mac version is being developed with the Metal API. So I thought I'd post the system requirements I just found tonight on the Blizzard site as they currently exist anyway:

https://us.battle.ne...em-requirements

As you can see, these requirements seem to support systems that cannot run Metal I think. Am I wrong about that? I am too lazy to go look up the minimum requirements for Metal. Once I knew I met them, I forgot all about whatever they are. If this is true, then I would assume they intend this time around to offer support for both OpenGL and Metal which is nice for the many Mac users that like to play but would need new systems for this unless they are really doing this. On the other hand, it seems strange to me that a small team would have the resources to do two versions unless it is considerably easier than I imagine it to be. Nothing is really easy in software development though as some of you know all too well, especially a project of that enormous scope. So ultimately I am confused a little by this and wonder what the plan is. I don't wonder enough to go digging on the Blizzard forums trying to find out though.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:27 AM

6750M is from 2011 and therefore not supported by Metal. Sucks since I have iMac with 6970M.

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:27 AM

Metal will only be an option and the OpenGL renderer will stick around for the foreseeable future. There was a post on Blizzard's forums on this matter, but I can't find it right now.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

WoW's success is based on it's ability to run on the average popsnizzlebox. Blizzard isn't going to drop the OpenGL renderer for a long time. Nobody will, until Apple forces the issue by actually documenting the depreciation of OpenGL, even though they de facto have by not updating it in years.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

I believe they're dropping support for OpenGL 2.x (they're moving the engine to 3.x). But the default renderer will still use OpenGL (Metal is expected to be an option for systems that support it).

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

That makes sense. I should have known without thinking about it that they'd want to do this and it is in keeping with how they've always attempted to run on the widest possible array of hardware within reason. I am looking forward to trying it. It may be fun to try it both ways but I am not sure if the Metal version may or may not implement any features that wouldn't be present in OpenGL at the time which would make informal comparisons pretty hard to do with any accuracy at all really. Still fun to try and see though.

#7 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:31 AM

It has regularly been a bone of contention with me that Blizzard pander to some very lowly specified hardware.

Sure, as many of us are iMac owners we are never at the forefront of graphics card technology so perhaps we should ride along with this.

But as WoW steadily slides into oblivion (it is still #1 by far) I really think that Blizzard is trying to cater to its existing market at the expense of not being attractive in terms of enticing new customers. Old customers will always leave, for many good reasons. Real life issues, tired, and so on.

When TESO launched I thought wow! Great graphics. When I play Skyrim (yes I know, a single player game) I really enjoy the better graphics. And so on.

Blizzard are the only ones who have the data for who uses what kind of hardware to play WoW.

The only reasons I can think that are holding them back are:

(1) an unwillingness to invest in vastly improving graphics technologies
(2) they are creeping upwards in step with the vast majority of players

(1) surely could not apply. They wouldn't be so stupid.

So alas, they are stuck. Held back by too big a percentage of players on ancient computers.

Sigh.

They need to invest in this:

LOSE a significant percentage of players on old gear BUT gain a BIGGER number of new players than they would otherwise have attracted with the existing graphics engine.

Now how does a billion dollar corporation make that gamble?

Well, they are a billion dollar corporation because they don't gamble like that.

Sigh.

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:43 AM

I expect part of blizzards ongoing success is the fact that their games both play well and run well on limited hardware. WoW and SCII run fine on a MBA or walmart popsnizzlebox. Same can't be said about most games. Same with games like League of Legends, "F2P" and runs on crap.

TESO really does look good and runs well on both limited hardware and OS X. Most Mac games are a slideshow on my 3,1 Mac Pro (Radeon 4870). ESO looks and run like a dream. Same on my MBP. Have to tick the graphics down a notch on my work air but its still acceptable. Pretty much I'm losing tolerance for shoddy OS X ports after seeing how well TESO runs.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

I personally think Blizzard's approach is a very good one, especially for Mac users. For one thing, the art style of the new games is a huge a upgrade from the original franchise titles the leading ones descend from. It is not like they do not make big improvements over time. Secondly, by making some tradeoffs such that their games will run on a wide range of hardware it is more feasible for them to continue supporting the Mac. I think if they limited themselves to high end iMacs for example, whether or not continuing to release games of the scope and expense that they create for an even smaller subset of Mac users might become a problem. So there's that too.

Their games are quite scalable so far as adding in various eye candy such as cool spell effects, etc. to enhance the overall visual presentation further on hardware capable of it. Last but not least, the art direction, the use of color, and the creativity of their artwork and worlds all come together to make for a good experience along with the all important, most important, fun gameplay.

Not everything needs to be or should try to be going for photorealistic look in my opinion. It is absolutely okay for cartoons to exist, especially really well done ones.

I don't believe that Blizzard are held back by the hardware their users own anymore than all game developers have to keep in mind being able to run on a lot of hardware to maximize return on investment. They are not at all unique in needing to be mindful of this. All game developers need to be mindful of this. There is no point making something that only a small number of systems can run well. For what it costs to deliver AAA games no company could survive doing that. Even something scalable has to have some minimally decent visual presentation at the minimum recommended hardware spec or nobody would want to play it, it would review poorly, etc.

As for bringing new blood into any MMO, there is a point of no return for all of them thus far and WoW is no different. It has nothing to do with graphics at all. WoW is nowhere near approaching oblivion in a world where people still subscribe to and play Ultima Online and EverQuest in big enough numbers to keep the lights on after all these years. For WoW to still be doing as well as it is after more than a decade is a phenomenal success and because it is so huge with so many gamers invested in the game who do return for expansion releases, nostalgic visits, etc. that game isn't going anywhere for another decade easily.

Ultimately, I think someone either likes the art style of WoW or they don't. A huge number of people are just fine with it. So it is no wonder they are not very concerned with doing something crazy like a new graphics engine for it or something. They don't need to do that. Their user base does not care about that really in any big way, certainly not enough to alter their spending in any significant way which means from a business point of view it would not be wise to throw money at something that offers so little return if any. A game as old as WoW is well past bringing in new blood. That does not happen beyond a certain point in MMO-land. It never has before, even for WoW and it is not likely to for anything else either for the foreseeable future. They all rise to a peak over time and then decline over time in user numbers, every single one of them does this. Shiny new graphics for any of them after the fact would not change that in my view. The games live and die on their gameplay and the appeal of their worlds from the outset more than anything else.

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

All I heard was "DirtyHarry is going to play ESO"

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 01 March 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

All I heard was "DirtyHarry is going to play ESO"

LOL!

Yeah, I can't stand those damned silly cartoon graphics, low res visuals, cows running on their hind feet in massively oversized (warhammer) armor, kids camping mailboxes, the worst general chat in the history of MMO's and more!

I do have to say that while ESO has little in common with EverQuest really, it has one very important thing in common with it from my perspective which is a world that is in a sense more believable and more immersive as such. I expect a much greater opportunity there for exploration just for it's own sake and sense of adventure vs the quest hub nature that a game like WoW revolves around. EverQuest also was a game for those who enjoyed exploring interesting, varied and most certainly dangerous worlds.

To me EverQuest remains the gold standard by which all other MMOs are measured and it set a very high bar not a one of them has ever managed to reach yet from my perspective. It is the very best game I have ever played.

I am without any question greatly looking forward to ESO. In fact, I have to confess I am tempted to play it on Mac but I keep holding back because I think I'd enjoy it on the XBox and I don't really want to become invested in characters and in game relationships with people only to toss that and them under the bus if when I get my XBox I'd rather move to ESO there. I'd rather check it out there first I think and if I find it somehow lacking compared to what I am used to, playing such games on a desktop, I might rethink things early on then and buy it a second time for Mac but having seen it on my nephew's console I'm pretty sure I will be happy with it on XBox.

So meantime, I'll be messing around in some old worlds for a bit of nostalgic fun. I have characters of various levels with all kinds of cool toys and whatnot in DDO, LoTRO and not the least of all World of Warcraft where I've spent a lot of time and had a lot of fun.

So ESO is certainly in my future but despite the temptation I'm probably going to continue holding out for when I have my XBox.

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

I just had a funny thought. A while back I was posting somewhere around here about having freed myself from the bondage of MMO addiction.

Apparently I have fallen right off the wagon yet again. Most likely I was in denial when I was saying that earlier. I have probably never stopped being addicted to these kinds of games. The living breathing worlds populated by other people and the ability to do whatever I feel like while in them, especially just goofing off exploring or fishing or crafting or whatever is something you just don't get anywhere else. You can get most of that in a game like Skyrim but it lacks the people that make all the difference. What's funny is that for me this does not necessarily mean a great deal of interaction with other people on a constant basis such as raiding anymore or even grouping much but simply that everywhere one goes, there either are people or there is the potential to encounter someone in your travels. In busy places such a cities where people are clustered for whatever reasons you get an experience no other kind of game can replicate. I think the combination of all these things, the ability to drop into a virtual world and be immersed in it among many other people is what draws me in, is what I find magical about these places.

Yeah. There is no cure for me. I bet I go into denial again sometime though when I am feeling burned out and need to do something else for while... until the urge returns.

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:02 PM

The cure is 2 scoops of Elder Scrolls Online next time it's on sale. I've talked to 3 out of 5 doctors about this.

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:04 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 01 March 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

The cure is 2 scoops of Elder Scrolls Online next time it's on sale. I've talked to 3 out of 5 doctors about this.

I'm not sure that constitutes a cure for my addiction but fortunately, I don't want to be cured. Besides, I can quit anytime I want. I just don't want to. If I did though, this would not be a problem for me. No, really.

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

Posted Image