• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

I spotted this on GoG today (it's available via Steam too, if that's your preference)..interesting little game.

It's a 3rd person free-form survival sim/adventure/rogue-ish type thing where you take the role of a young woman surviving in a post-societal, procedurally generated flooded wilderness (stay with me here). For the most part you're piloting a raft down a river, fighting against starvation- and exposure meters. You can hunt, and craft and upgrade your raft, and generally just try to survive as long as possible (the main objective of the game).

The game has development pedigree, with peeps from Halo and BioShock involved in the process. And it's pretty good! Admittedly I haven't got very far with it yet, but I'm enjoying it. It's oddly relaxing, despite the premise. It looks great, and the twangy Americana guitar soundtrack fits well. Recommended.

Importantly, the GoG page states that 'integrated Intel GPUs are not supported' - all I can say is that it runs very smoothly indeed on the Iris Pro 6200 in my iMac.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:14 AM

I gotta tell you that when you said (stay with me here) you made me laugh right out loud! Good one!

I'm not too keen on the idea of survival rogue-like anything myself. I've had enough of that in real life and amazingly it's been a good run so far. I am still here. I probably should give a game of this kind a shot though as you really don't know until you try something.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

View Postnick68k, on 24 February 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

Importantly, the GoG page states that 'integrated Intel GPUs are not supported' - all I can say is that it runs very smoothly indeed on the Iris Pro 6200 in my iMac.

Developers need to give more specific recommendations. For one thing the catch all "Intel Integrated Not Supported" was fine back in the GMA950 era but the current swath of IGPs are solid, the Iris Pro 6200 is approximately equivalent to a Nvidia 750, very passable for 1080p on most games.

Second they need to give recommendations at common resolutions. Like a game might have very different requirements for 1440x900 vs. 1920x1080. I'd like to know what the resolution target is for the given system requirements.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 February 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

Second they need to give recommendations at common resolutions. Like a game might have very different requirements for 1440x900 vs. 1920x1080. I'd like to know what the resolution target is for the given system requirements.

Agreed. I'm running it at 1080 with the graphics options set to 'medium'; I don't have framerate numbers, but honestly it looks very smooth. I'll tinker a bit with the settings later. (I also took into account that I could get a refund from GoG if the game didn't run).

In general I tend not to play very graphically intensive stuff, so are there games out there specifically hard-coded not to run if integrated graphics are detected? It's just OpenGL, right? At the worst you'll be getting a slideshow.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

Hay, just be glad they didnt say DirectX is required on the mac specs.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 25 February 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

Hay, just be glad they didnt say DirectX is required on the mac specs.

or Intel or AMD Processor!

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:20 AM

Yeah, I love it when they require specs on Mac that don't exist. Gives you a real warm, fuzzy, I can trust these guys for sure kind of feeling.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell