DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

You'd figure that installing and using LastPass would be simple enough and it is too when it works, sort of. When I installed it wound up with a 50% success of sorts. It installed into Chrome and was straightforward enough when it first made its presence known. Unfortunately, although I told the installer to install to both of my browsers, Chrome and Safari, it did not install itself into Safari for some reason. I checked extensions just in case but there was nothing there.

I've since nuked my Windows bootcamp partition in order to simplify my life. Thus, I don't really need LastPass when I can use Apple's Keychain for free. Well, I thought i could anyway but no! I used the uninstaller provided by LassPass with the installer download. It did uninstall it out of Chrome. I presume it is gone.

Here is the problem I now have which I did not have before. None of my logins in either browser are remembered anymore, even after I enter them when I return I have to do so again. Checking in Safari, I note it still knows all my logins but it does not fill them in. Meantime, I have not seen a trace of keychain since I installed and then removed LassPass. It never prompts me for anything now even though my browsers both seem to have experienced a frontal lobotomy of sorts.

Before I manage to screw things up further this seems like a good time to pause and ask the pros so here I am. So, umm, what do I do now? I could start poking around to see for myself but I thought you guys might know from my description here what is going on or if not have a suggestion about where to begin. I am thinking there must be some way to reset Keychain and start over. I don't care if the browsers don't know what is going on with passwords. I consider that to be just as well.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 23 February 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

Chrome

Posted Image

:D
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

Are you sure you didn't delete your account or something when you uninstalled? I've never seen anything remotely similar to that, and I've setup lastpass on dozens of computers (OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.).

Also, LastPass has a great free version. I pay for the premium version, but the free version works great. The only reason I pay for premium is so I can use it with my phone.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 23 February 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

Are you sure you didn't delete your account or something when you uninstalled? I've never seen anything remotely similar to that, and I've setup lastpass on dozens of computers (OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.).

Also, LastPass has a great free version. I pay for the premium version, but the free version works great. The only reason I pay for premium is so I can use it with my phone.

I did install the free version obtained directly from their website. I was checking it out on my iMac before making a decision to pay for it which I expected to do where I wanted to also be able to install it on an iOS device and in Windows. I just wanted to see what it was like before I did that. Since it was only installed on the iMac, I did not make any changes to existing passwords with it at all yet. I planned to do that if and when I upgraded to the paid version.

As mentioned above, the only thing I did was run the uninstaller they provided in the dmg file containing the installer to remove it and that ran without error and seemed to do what it was supposed to. The install did go as I described. I think I understand why that was and could easily have fixed it by just installing the extension into Safari. I doubt the install has anything to do with the issue I have now.

I am not making any assumptions about just exactly what took place under the covers here but something clearly did in response to installing and then removing this. Something I wondered about prior to installing it was how does this thing get along with iCloud Keychain which would normally furnish passwords? How is this managed such that the two are not in conflict with each other every time I go to login somewhere? I have no idea how this works but I have wondered if there is some clue to be had there regarding what is happening now.

I did open iCloud Keychain tonight just to review the contents of the Passwords section of it and everything seems to be intact there going all the way back to 2012 which tells you how often I ever monkey with stuff I do not need to. So, I made no other changes here, no deletions, no additions, etc. I also just verified that I can still login to my LassPass account online via it's webpage. So I did not delete that either but LastPass is not on this system now, at least neither of its browser extension are for my browsers. If it installs anything else locally, I don't know. I have made no effort to find out yet.

I see there is a simple way to reset one's iCloud Keychain within the app for it. I am a little hesitant to do that as it blows away everything although the dialog claims it "moves it aside" and does not delete the original and creates a new one with factory default settings. Considering what i notice is in there, like my routers and stuff I am not so sure I feel like dealing with resetting it completely. The reason I am considering doing that is my hope would be in that situation it would begin prompting me everywhere I go for everything it does not know about which would be zero in the case of a reset. I just worry that if I am am wrong and it does not help I've only made things worse taking what is at the moment just a shot in the dark.

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:22 PM

I am laughing to myself now as i consider what might be the path of least resistance here. I could try to reinstall LastPass and if anything goes wrong, fix it. Then if all goes well, just pay them the 12 bucks and use it wherever I want, whenever I want without having to think about this again. In its favor I was just noticing it does offer a nice, simple user interface for managing this stuff and their little security review which will tell you about known breaches, etc. So I wouldn't argue there is plenty of value offered.

At this point in my life if I think throwing 12 bucks at some issue will make it go away for a very long time that option appeals to me.

View PostFrost, on 23 February 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

No, Frost! I am not going to use Internet Explorer so just forget about it! I just won't do it! I won't!

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:40 PM

Okay. Problem solved and as often happens I feel dumb for not thinking to check something that turned out to be it.

When LastPass removed itself, the uninstaller did not restore the default browser setting to manage passwords in Chrome which I am sure the installer touched to prevent conflicts once LastPass was in use. The same thing happened with Safari. So, all I had to do was find the setting in Preferences -> Passwords and now I am back in business.

Although it makes sense to me now, I didn't realize that iCloud Keychain is married into Safari password management the way that it is. At least, I think it is such that a deletion or change made there is also seen in the iCloud Keychain Access app. So there's nothing wrong with iCloud Keychain at all and never was. Just dumb user not knowing what was going on (again!).

I probably need now to turn off Chrome's own password handling yet again such that iCloud Keychain manages its passwords. I'll look into that later. I only use the thing rarely and not for anything financial or important but I might as well keep it simple and have one thing managing all passwords. Hopefully, iCloud Keychain supports Chrome. I have no idea but I'll go find out.

That was easy after all and on a bright note aside of this thread I spent very little time on it. Yay!

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

Good to hear it's solved.

If you are still considering moving fully to iCloud Keychain, just keep it mind that it only works with Safari in OS X. If you are planning on using another browser then it's not really an ideal solution.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:27 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 23 February 2016 - 09:53 PM, said:

Good to hear it's solved.

If you are still considering moving fully to iCloud Keychain, just keep it mind that it only works with Safari in OS X. If you are planning on using another browser then it's not really an ideal solution.

Yeah, I just did that checking I mentioned in my last post and found a comment from someone at Google explaining why they are unable for both technical and non-technical reasons which he outlined, to support iCloud Keychain with Chrome. I can see where they are coming from but I also see where Apple is coming from. Unfortunately, some end users conclude from this that it is a deliberate and evil plot by Apple to corral users into using Safari. Anyway, whatever.

I have very limited if any need for passwords in Chrome anyway. It's just a utility to me that I use for it's sandboxed flash until some sites get their act together and ditch it. Flash does not otherwise exist on my system and never will. So Chrome is handy there once in a while to get around that but if I Chrome didn't do that for me, I'd just do without the sites still using Flash which are not many anymore fortunately, at least not that I visit myself.

Thank you for the helpful responses Sneaky One. I appreciate it.

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:32 PM

Oh, kinda unrelated but I'd recently complained about performance with Safari. I reset Safari completely to defaults and wiped all data. Mucho bettera now.

Considering that I have never done that since I began using it and this system descends from Lion on a mid-2011 iMac that has always had OS X upgrades on top of existing installations and when I moved to the late-2013 iMac I am using now which I think came with Mavericks, I did a full restore with Time Machine of everything so I assume whatever state Safari was in then, those settings and data came along for the ride. This means that it's been accumulating who knows what since May, 2012. I guess a little housecleaning after that much time was in order and isn't all that unreasonable. It's running very nicely now.

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostFrost, on 23 February 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

Posted Image

Heh, my Safari eats more ram than my chrome, and I have more tabs open in chrome than I do in safari ;)

But hey, we could all switch to Firefox.

Then /slitwrists.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:43 AM

Hey, Firefox ain't bad if it's a good build. TenFourFox is surprisingly speedy and stable on PowerMacs these days, although that's probably less Mozilla and more the TenFourFox team being awesome.

My main problems with Safari were I'm still on Mavericks (go away, ugly UI) and 7 was starting to get creaky, not to mention having those god-awful 100% CPU for no reason errors every now and again... WHEN I'M ON BATTERY POWER. Since Apple put Safari 9 on Mavericks to patch security holes I've actually not had any issues.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:30 AM

I'm happy with Safari again now. No complaints and I like the way it's setup. I like how easy it was to setup my own custom bar of favorites places including drop down menu buttons for collections of related sites like everywhere I pay bills to, etc. Like the reading list feature too. I did install the Pocket extension the other day though along with its OS X app just to see what that offers. Picked up a couple other cool extensions that are useful to me also.

For now though, I am happy to have Chrome on board as well. It's always good to have a fallback browser if you encounter any strangeness with a particular site or in my case if I want to run something requiring flash. At least it is sandboxed in Chrome. I do like Chrome's little feature of turning a web page/site into a pseudo-app too. People actually pay for that stuff on the app store for say, Netflix or whatever and Chrome will do it for you for free if you like that sort of thing. I haven't even bothered yet but I think might for a few video oriented sites just to pop it open and instantly be where I want to be. Netflix and HBO NOW come to mind for example for this. Fortunately, Netflix doesn't require Silverlight anymore.

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 27 February 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

For now though, I am happy to have Chrome on board as well. It's always good to have a fallback browser if you encounter any strangeness with a particular site or in my case if I want to run something requiring flash. At least it is sandboxed in Chrome. I do like Chrome's little feature of turning a web page/site into a pseudo-app too. People actually pay for that stuff on the app store for say, Netflix or whatever and Chrome will do it for you for free if you like that sort of thing. I haven't even bothered yet but I think might for a few video oriented sites just to pop it open and instantly be where I want to be. Netflix and HBO NOW come to mind for example for this. Fortunately, Netflix doesn't require Silverlight anymore.

I use fluid for that and then I don't have to infect my system with chromebot. http://fluidapp.com
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:34 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 27 February 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

I use fluid for that and then I don't have to infect my system with chromebot. http://fluidapp.com

That looks cool. I downloaded it and will try it out. Thanks.

#15 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

Seconding that Fluid recommendation; I should have remembered to mention it on that thread about useful utilities. I use it to wrap GMail and other web applications I'm forced to use at work.

I sent the guy money; the free features were all I needed but it's worth it just to have my programs in the Dock, where I can see if they are running and switch to them with one click. (If you are like me you will not be happy until you give each application a hi-res icon. But for common programs like GMail there are plenty of free icons out there.)

Just keep in mind that it's a Safari window, when all's said and done. It can report itself to the website as Firefox or Chrome, and that can be enough to convince a website to work, but sometimes there are issues.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.