Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6097 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 23 June 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

Real fear won't happen in games until we start playing in an electric chair and perma death is the real thing.

Ha... this is actually a good point. Self-enforced permadeath runs have a way of making even tactical shooters downright scary. I haven't done it for a while, but something I used to do was do a permadeath run of a game (sometime after I'd completed it normally of course) where if I died for any reason other than an honest-to-goodness game glitch, I would delete the save and stop playing.

The original Dead Space was moderately creepy, but I did a permadeath run in late 2008... oh my God, straight up blind panic at several points when I thought I'd been cornered and was trying to escape from something. There's this one part where an unkillable monster is coming for you and you have to use your magnetic engineering device to move objects around like a puzzle to get yourself out before it reaches you. Talk about hair on the arm standing straight up while I'm going, "Come on, focus focus focus... OH SHEEIT FOCUS!" Amazingly I actually made it clear to the end without dying once, but it took me almost twice the length of a normal playthrough and I was cautious as hell. I actually enjoyed the game hugely more than when I previously played it too.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#42 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

That's impressive. It is not hard to get yourself killed in Dead Space if you aren't very careful in spots. I loved that game. I need to get back to that series and play the other two installments. That was really great stuff.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#43 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:25 AM

Story time.

In college I had an old G4 533 Tower and a G3 Pismo that couldn't handle Doom 3. I bought an Xbox specifically to play Doom 3. AMMMMMAZING. COOP. I played in the fraking dark on a popsnizzlebox 20" CRT which was probably tits at the time. I remember pissing my pants a few times. And that Xbox deathmatch mode. So much nicer people than the Halo 2. Replaying it now doesn't have the same effect but Gdamn at the time i pissed my god damn ass off.

Kind of like Final Fantasy 1. As a kid I could imagine myself playing it. Now its hard to play but damn, back then on a 9" BW TV. WOWOWOWOWO.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#44 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 23 June 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

That's impressive. It is not hard to get yourself killed in Dead Space if you aren't very careful in spots. I loved that game. I need to get back to that series and play the other two installments. That was really great stuff.

2 and 3 weren't significantly better. Maybe I already had spent all my adrenaline, but they didn't seem that scary compared to the first.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#45 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 June 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

2 and 3 weren't significantly better. Maybe I already had spent all my adrenaline, but they didn't seem that scary compared to the first.

i was thinking i'd just enjoy more of the same overall but not exactly the same as with a replay. Then again, it's been a long time so maybe I should just replay the original although stuff like this is more wishing and hoping than anything I actually have time for. WoW is presently consuming all my time as so often happens with me and MMOs but I am having a blast and that's what counts.

#46 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:22 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 25 June 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

No experience yet with Dead Space (I do own all three but they're buried deep in the backlog). But I have the same feelings about F.E.A.R.: the first one was quite scary, by the second I was used to it, when playing the third I was more laughing than being scared.

#47 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:34 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 26 June 2016 - 01:22 AM, said:

No experience yet with Dead Space (I do own all three but they're buried deep in the backlog). But I have the same feelings about F.E.A.R.: the first one was quite scary, by the second I was used to it, when playing the third I was more laughing than being scared.

I felt the same way except I didn't even bother with the 3rd one. The first game was the real deal and a great time. The second was an enjoyable shooter with a few surprise scares even though by then i knew who was scaring me. I lost interest after that one and its DLC.

#48 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6097 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 June 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

i was thinking i'd just enjoy more of the same overall but not exactly the same as with a replay. Then again, it's been a long time so maybe I should just replay the original although stuff like this is more wishing and hoping than anything I actually have time for. WoW is presently consuming all my time as so often happens with me and MMOs but I am having a blast and that's what counts.

Nooooo! Resist their evil clutches! The skinner box will eat your soul!
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#49 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:22 PM

View PostFrost, on 26 June 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

Nooooo! Resist their evil clutches! The skinner box will eat your soul!

Resistance was futile. I have become a Tauren Shaman with amazing burst DPS.

DPS. We deliver for you.

#50 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

Your technological and biological distinctiveness were added to the WoW...  but you got a nifty eye laser and drill bit fingers out of the deal.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#51 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 27 June 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

Your technological and biological distinctiveness were added to the WoW...  but you got a nifty eye laser and drill bit fingers out of the deal.

You're not far off. I boosted that Shaman to level 100 today with nice gear and changed his spec from melee to DPS caster for fun. Raining down Elemental destruction will be good times and with dual spec enabled, I can go back and forth between it and melee if I feel like it. Melee is more work though. I have to run all over the place chasing mobs and it makes keeping up my DPS more work. Playing as a caster will be goodness because once the tank pulls, all I have to do is keep hammering my assist macro key I made meself and nuke them to death. No running around required aside of staying out of fires, cones of doom or whatever. Everyone has to deal with that stuff.

Regarding the tech, my shammy is an engineer because we can make cool toys and explosives that work most of the time but may sometimes have unpredictable results which adds to the fun. He does mining to support this because engineering uses a lot of ores. As part of the boost, I now have max skill of 700 in both professions, ready to rock when Legion releases. Oh, yeah. I'll be making all kinds of cool stuff and killing all kinds of stuff and looting all kinds of stuff. I just can't hardly wait.

#52 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6097 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

Heads up for anyone who wants Doom, their Mac/PC is too crappy to run it, but does have a modern console on-hand: DOOM for PS4 is $19.99 at Amazon for a limited time

Eric5h5: