51 replies to this topic

#21 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

Worth the download! Agree with others that it's an awesome game.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#22 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

Just an FYI if anyone's planning on buying the PC version at launch, if you have Amazon Prime, they now apparently have a discount for physical pre-orders of games. The boxed copy for Steam is $47.99 to pre-order instead of $59.99 (basically you get a disc to save you time/bandwidth and it includes a Steam key to activate it). Apparently applies to PS4 and Xbone physical copies too. Just found out. Pretty sweet!

Going to grab me that physical Steam copy.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#23 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:13 PM

Going to play it on XBox One when it's selling for 20 bucks. :)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

OK I lied.  I just dropped everything else and played the game all day.  This is so sweet, I'm back in Castle Wolfenstein with all my old friends and some new ones.  I have no complaints about anything except for the save system, which is a checkpoint save.  I never liked checkpoint saves.  Ever.  I like to experiment and try new routes and strategies, and sometimes I do stupid stuff like see how much an explosion hurts me, make death leaps to see if there is a prize on the other side, and just normal tom foolery.

Ah well, this game is still pure candy for a Wolfenstein and Id fan like me.  I done kilt me some dawgs and I done et all their food, just like Grandma.  I don't mind sharing the chow but these are bad doggies so they get a pipe in the throat.  Bad doggie bad!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

Wow.  That was over fast.  Hope Doom lasts longer.  This was a great game, lots of fun and I was happy to find that it was a reboot of the Wolfenstein story that works well for me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:15 AM

Okay, I haven't finished the new Doom (or DOOM as id capitalises it) yet, but I can't but really recommend it – at least to everyone who likes old school shooters. Id managed to come up with a new game that feels a lot like the original Doom, without on the other hand being too retro. The action is fast-paced running and gunning, the enemies are instantly recognisable as their 1993's counterparts, the levels are sprawling and lend themselves for exploring every nook and cranny, and the Doom guy exudes a satisfyingly badass attitude without uttering a single word.

I'm a bit less enthusiastic about the multiplayer part, which feels less like the old-school arena shooters it's supposed to call back to, but rather like some CoD clone, but the singleplayer part is glorious.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#27 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:54 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 June 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

Okay, I haven't finished the new Doom (or DOOM as id capitalises it) yet, but I can't but really recommend it – at least to everyone who likes old school shooters.

WHAT IS THIS SOPHISTICATED NONSENSE, THIS POPSNIZZLE IS AMAZING.

The only other game in the last five years to give me a legitimate, honest-to-goodness ready-to-punch-the-screen-with-glee roidrage combat high was Titanfall. You can now add DOOM to the list.

Don't get me wrong, I was one of like 5 people who loved the horror angle and atmosphere of Doom 3 and really got into and enjoyed it. I hunted down all the PDAs and read through them like they were Marathon terminals. I won't knock Doom 3 ever, that was a great experience. But this is like Doom 1 and 2 got together with Doom 3 and had a baby of the original games asskicking action-packed power fantasy with the sequel's push for kickass visuals, and the resulting baby was a supersoldier of goodness.

I'm not very far into the game at all but I'm holding myself back from purposely damaging my own equipment every time I load it up for more than a few minutes at a time.

To put it another way, playing Doom 3 made me feel like this:

Posted Image

Playing DOOM makes me feel like this:

Posted Image
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#28 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

Waiter, I'll have what he is having.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#29 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:31 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 June 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

Waiter, I'll have what he is having.

One heaping helping of DOOM coming right up! Would you like fries with that?

View PostFrost, on 21 June 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

WHAT IS THIS SOPHISTICATED NONSENSE, THIS POPSNIZZLE IS AMAZING.

The only other game in the last five years to give me a legitimate, honest-to-goodness ready-to-punch-the-screen-with-glee roidrage combat high was Titanfall. You can now add DOOM to the list.

Don't get me wrong, I was one of like 5 people who loved the horror angle and atmosphere of Doom 3 and really got into and enjoyed it. I hunted down all the PDAs and read through them like they were Marathon terminals. I won't knock Doom 3 ever, that was a great experience. But this is like Doom 1 and 2 got together with Doom 3 and had a baby of the original games asskicking action-packed power fantasy with the sequel's push for kickass visuals, and the resulting baby was a supersoldier of goodness.

I'm not very far into the game at all but I'm holding myself back from purposely damaging my own equipment every time I load it up for more than a few minutes at a time.

To put it another way, playing Doom 3 made me feel like this:

Posted Image

Playing DOOM makes me feel like this:

Posted Image

I also loved DOOM 3 and make zero apologies for it. It rocked start to finish, simple as that. I also enjoyed the expansion very much. I still need to go play the extra levels made available with the BFG Edition of the game. I played DOOM 3 when it launched and never had any complaints about the lighting or anything else. I loved it. The game is pure old school shooter goodness with no added crap. Perfect!

It will be a while before I see the new DOOM but it is an absolute must play for me and I am glad to hear it is being well received.

So I guess you can count me among the 5 with good eyes who saw the glory of DOOM 3 and enjoyed it. I also liked reading all the PDA's btw.

#30 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

People didn't like Doom 3?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#31 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3814 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

I am also on the loved Doom 3 wagon. I can understand why it got some critique, since people expected a AAA masterpiece that pushed all areas of innovation, and it was blown up to be the next holy coming of shooters. But for what it was, a horror shooter, it was awesome. Some great level design, very nice monsters, and with IDs shooting, monster AI, and creepy outset, it totally worked.

I look forward to NewDoom, although it doesn't appear to be anything other than a fast paced generic shooter to me. I will likely wait until I upgrade my 2011 iMac sometime in 5 years though. :P (Unless I upgrade the graphic card to an nVidia 780M instead...)
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#32 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

I wasn't totally blown away by Doom 3, since I felt it quickly began to repeat the same old tricks (pick up item, door opens behind you, jump scare). But in general, I liked it. It was a fun shooter, and back in the day quite impressive looking.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#33 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

*shrug* I was entertained, and the xbox version had full coop. I guess I am easy to please.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 22 June 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

That makes my Martian Buddy so sad that now all he can do is turbo punch turkeys through his tears.  I thought it was a great game, a little too dark and a little too repetitious but all in all a really fun shooter if you played in a very dark room where you could see better.  It was fun to see the high resolution demons as opposed to those pixelated sprites with the jaggies.  And I read every damn PDA I came across every time I played the game.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 22 June 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

Believe it or not, the prevailing opinion on Doom 3 is generally negative. Which surprises the hell out of me; I loved it. Yes, there were closet monsters, and they repeated to the point they were sometimes predictable. But even so id nailed the sci-fi horror atmosphere. It may just be because that was one of the last times I was still fresh enough to horror gaming that it could really scare me and my scare gland was not scarred over yet back then, but it did scare me, and part of that was how much the atmosphere pulled me in.

Even as much as I'm loving the popsnizzle out of Doom 4 aka DOOM just for all its visceral awesomeness, I was more immersed in Doom 3.

As an aside, I'm impressed with id's usual job of optimization. When Rage launched on the PS3 it looked enormously better than any other PS3 game, and yet they had it running at 60 FPS rather than the usual 30. That says something about how good their programmers are. Doom 4 I have everything all the way up and it's easily blasting past 100 FPS on my Titan X. Which means anybody with a 1070 or better is having a nice glass smooth experience. Good job, id.

Eric5h5:

#36 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

I recall DOOM 3 was criticized for being too dark, you had to switch to the flashlight to use it if I recall correctly (which I think was changed in the BFG Edition?), some felt it was too old school/formulaic and did not bring anything new to the table in particular and as such considered it more a tech demo than a great game and lastly the multiplayer was roundly criticized for initially only allowing 4 players which I think was later increased to 8 but the multiplayer never took off and I doubt the increase to 8 solved the real problem people had with it which was that it simply wasn't all that interesting for very long so it died quickly. I seem to recall it was also put down for the "industrial" setting with little to no outdoor areas. Actually I think there was zero outdoor areas in the game. It's been a while.

While these criticisms are all legitimate in my mind, I always felt that taken together they were minor except a decent multiplayer with more player slots would have been good fun. They really did drop the ball there although it was true to original DOOM and I guess that was at least part of the reasoning for it.

As much as I loved the game, I loved it simply as a great shooter with satisfying fun to use weapons and great monsters to kill all with awesome graphics for the time. I was not particularly impressed with it being scary aside of a few jump scares that were cool. I didn't even think of it as a horror game really despite the setting/story of it. It was all just kill nasty monsters to me, keep the story light works for me, thank you very much. I've never played a game that scared me aside of a rare scare here and there. I need something like, "The Shining" or "The Exorcist" to make my skin crawl. Nothing less will do it. Games are nowhere near to that yet in my experience including some of the better known "scary" ones. They pale in comparison to the two films I just mentioned.

There is a big difference between a game startling you with some jump scares and a well done film that gradually ratchets up the tension, dread and evil until it gets to bone chilling fear and horror and leaves you feeling a mix of relief that it is over and shock after seeing it. Real horror is disturbing, sometimes deeply. If someone ever develops a game that really nails this criteria I'd expect it to be a major hit but that has not happened yet in my opinion.

I enjoy horror themed games but I consider them all to be "horror lite" at best.

#37 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6094 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 22 June 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

There is a big difference between a game startling you with some jump scares and a well done film that gradually ratchets up the tension, dread and evil until it gets to bone chilling fear and horror and leaves you feeling a mix of relief that it is over and shock after seeing it. Real horror is disturbing, sometimes deeply. If someone ever develops a game that really nails this criteria I'd expect it to be a major hit but that has not happened yet in my opinion.

I enjoy horror themed games but I consider them all to be "horror lite" at best.

You've probably just experienced enough in the way of other media to be jaded. :P

Doom 3 I remember having that overwhelming dread heading into really dark, really open areas quite a bit. Problem was I replayed it in 2010 and I had none of that. Silent Hill 1 and 2 also scared the crap out of me back in the day. More recent playthroughs were a tad yawn-ish. I don't think that's the games not aging well so much as I've milked the adrenal gland on scares so much that it flat doesn't respond anymore.

Probably not a good thing; was almost positive I had a burglar in the middle of the night a few months ago, went and checked the house with the M1014 and my heart rate didn't even go up. Shrugged my shoulders when I found nothing and all doors and windows secure, went back to bed, then was staring at the ceiling in the dark thinking, "What the hell is wrong with me?" I think there's such a thing as becoming too unflappable.

The only thing in recent years that has creeped me the frak out was the Alien in Alien: Isolation. Something about that thing's unkillability and relentless stalking had me not even wanting to play anymore around 15 hours in even though the game was awesome!

Eric5h5:

#38 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:37 AM

View PostFrost, on 22 June 2016 - 08:15 PM, said:

The only thing in recent years that has creeped me the frak out was the Alien in Alien: Isolation. Something about that thing's unkillability and relentless stalking had me not even wanting to play anymore around 15 hours in even though the game was awesome!

That sounds good. I haven't played that yet. That kind of scenario could work. Likewise, I haven't played Outlast yet but that looks like it might be good. I watched one clip of gameplay that I could see how if you were engrossed in the game at the time could be pretty creepy, particularly if the sort of thing I saw happens enough which I think it does. I think the game is built around you being highly vulnerable at all times.

Thinking about this more, I think what I note is the difference between the experiences of fear or dread versus outright horror in the extreme. It's the latter that is what I've really not seen in games. Instances of fear or dread I have at times to varying degrees. The first FEAR game creeped me out in parts now that I remember it. Also, this might seem surprising but EverQuest did at times in the early days before the consequences of dying were somewhat toned down. Early on it was scary to die somewhere bad and especially if you happened to be exploring alone. You'd pop up at your bind point in some safe and probably far away part of the world and have to run back naked to loot the gear off your corpse or else you'd lose it. Gear in that game was not easy to come by, again particularly early on and it was a huge deal to possibly lose access to it. So running back alone hoping no normally trivial or worse mobs saw you and killed you along the way was scary. You lost experience points whenever you died and it was not very hard to lose enough of them with repeated deaths to lose a level or even more in a very bad scenario. Even at high level raiding we always kept a buffer on our mains to ward against losing a level and critical abilities or ability to wear key gear during a raid if we wiped too many times.

Once again though, that experience in EverQuest was more about fear and tension than what I'd call horror which I consider much worse in terms of intensity. This distinction in my mind occurred to me after thinking more about this stuff as some games are legitimately scary in places and I cannot really dismiss everything like it isn't any good when it is. I will probably enjoy Alien very much when I get to it I think. Outlast is a maybe but hopefully so.

#39 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 22 June 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

I would imaging that true horror would be X-rated at best and most likely illegal.

View PostFrost, on 22 June 2016 - 08:15 PM, said:

My advice would be to use the lockers to hide in.  ;)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#40 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 23 June 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

Thinking about this more, I think what I note is the difference between the experiences of fear or dread versus outright horror in the extreme.

Real fear won't happen in games until we start playing in an electric chair and perma death is the real thing.