51 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:42 AM

What have you guys heard about this game?

http://www.gamersgat...doom?aff=ggnews

Available for preorder now, but this is the first news I've heard about it.  Watch the trailer, it is obviously a modernized version of the original, or at least in the same universe as the original.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

Looks goodman. I know I had a blast with the new wolfenstein so I trust their development chops with doom.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

tBC you are officially old. Doom "4" was announced 8 years ago! Its been all over the gaming news repeatedly for a year now, since it is nearing release, so I am amazed you missed it.

As per the game, I'll save my verdict until I actually try it. I liked Doom 3, but it wasn't evolutionary, just really awesome graphics.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:05 PM

New wolfenstein wasn't revolutionary either. But it let me dual wield assault rifles to mow down cyborg nazis.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

Shooters have to do interesting things these days to capture my attention. Just feel like I've been there and done that.

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:37 AM

A good story goes a long way for shooters these days. I still think the best shooter I've played, story wise, is Half-Life 2.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#7 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1352 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 20 February 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

A good story goes a long way for shooters these days. I still think the best shooter I've played, story wise, is Half-Life 2.

That honor would have to go to Spec Ops: The Line for me. The gameplay is horrible, but that's almost the point.

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

View PostCougar, on 20 February 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

That honor would have to go to Spec Ops: The Line for me. The gameplay is horrible, but that's almost the point.

Spec Ops: The Line was awesome. It was also one of those games that would've probably benefitted tremendously from them dumping the tacked on multiplayer that no one ever played and putting that effort into the actual game.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

All Doom so far has been goodness so I hope this will continue the proud tradition. For me just so long as it is more DOOM and they don't screw it up with changes, I'll be happy. DOOM is DOOM. It does not need to change much besides the graphics and new places to kill new stuff. Decent multiplayer that lasts for a while this time would be welcome. Is there a Quake 5 in the works? I can't recall if I have heard there is or not. I'd love to see another Quake with a solid single player experience and a return to the multiplayer arena glory of Quake III with fabulous new visuals. This also needs to not be screwed up with a bunch of changes to a proven formula.

It was only recently that I fired up Doom 3 BFG just to play the expansion content I'd long neglected. I had a fine time. It was basically more of the same and that suited me just fine.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 20 February 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

All Doom so far has been goodness so I hope this will continue the proud tradition. For me just so long as it is more DOOM and they don't screw it up with changes, I'll be happy. DOOM is DOOM. It does not need to change much besides the graphics and new places to kill new stuff. Decent multiplayer that lasts for a while this time would be welcome. Is there a Quake 5 in the works? I can't recall if I have heard there is or not. I'd love to see another Quake with a solid single player experience and a return to the multiplayer arena glory of Quake III with fabulous new visuals. This also needs to not be screwed up with a bunch of changes to a proven formula.

It was only recently that I fired up Doom 3 BFG just to play the expansion content I'd long neglected. I had a fine time. It was basically more of the same and that suited me just fine.

Another Doom fan here.  It appears from the trailer that there is an enhanced melee system.  I hope it remains a single melee key and acts like Serious Sam 3, a single key changing melee tactics to match the situation.  I don't need more keys to fumble over.

View Postmacdude22, on 19 February 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

Looks goodman. I know I had a blast with the new wolfenstein so I trust their development chops with doom.

Excellent.  Exactly which new Wolfenstein are you referring to?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 DeChief

DeChief

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:33 AM

I was part of the first multiplayer closed alpha for this new Doom on the xbone, and I have to say I had an absolutely blast with it. Definitely pre-ordering as soon as I've got the cash.

#12 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

http://store.steampo...com/app/201810/

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 21 February 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

Hot damn, mineminemine!  What about Old Blood?  Any good?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 February 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

Hot damn, mineminemine!  What about Old Blood?  Any good?

Both were an entertaining romp. I liked The Old Blood's sort of B movie campiness.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

This is like how I used to feel at Christmas when I was a kid, I couldn't wait for it to come.  Christmas will come for me when these things go on sale.  I have been a huge Wolfenstein fan since Wolfenstein second encounter.  This is my favorite game franchise and I've played all their Mac games.  I love the weirdness of it, and who doesn't like killing NAZI's?  I mean besides other NAZI's.  In Wolfenstein I got to kill frika frakin Mecha Hitler!  I sure hope our US presidents are as much of a bullet sponge as he was.  I guess that's how you get to the top...  Anyway played Return to Wolfenstein and played that every which way from every strategic attack I could imagine.  I lost count of how many times I've played it.  Didn't have many games and nothing even close to Wolfenstein.

Now these two bright rays of hope playing through the clouds of the future hold the promise of more Wolfenstein deliciousness.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:21 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 February 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

I sure hope our US presidents are as much of a bullet sponge as he was.  

Posted Image

#17 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:58 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 February 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

This is like how I used to feel at Christmas when I was a kid, I couldn't wait for it to come.  Christmas will come for me when these things go on sale.  I have been a huge Wolfenstein fan since Wolfenstein second encounter.  This is my favorite game franchise and I've played all their Mac games.  I love the weirdness of it, and who doesn't like killing NAZI's?  I mean besides other NAZI's.  In Wolfenstein I got to kill frika frakin Mecha Hitler!  I sure hope our US presidents are as much of a bullet sponge as he was.  I guess that's how you get to the top...  Anyway played Return to Wolfenstein and played that every which way from every strategic attack I could imagine.  I lost count of how many times I've played it.  Didn't have many games and nothing even close to Wolfenstein.

Now these two bright rays of hope playing through the clouds of the future hold the promise of more Wolfenstein deliciousness.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a friggin' great game. I played the heck out of it too. I don't know how many times I beat it back then when the Mac version got ported, but it might have been at least 4, if not more.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1508 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:45 AM

Yeah, RtCW absolutely rocked. I remember playing the multiplayer demo of the beach level constantly just before the release. Loved it! Right around that same time Medal of Honor Allied Assault also released and it too had fabulous multiplayer, my favorite was all the team vs stuff. Fantastic. There again, I played the demo a lot just prior to release. I spent one whole day playing one of the two free levels of the demo, the one of the building with the center courtyard. I grabbed a rocket launcher and found a good spot to rain death down upon the hapless victims below until they got wise to me and came calling. Being there all day as people came and went, my kill numbers kept rising putting me at the top and of course I stayed there with the margin growing as the hours passed. I'm just average on a good day but I had a great time talking trash about how amazing I was, taunting them asking if there were any real men on this server or what? OMG it was too funny because some people knew I was just messing around but a few took it serious and were going insane giving me hell, pointing out I was only at the top of the leaderboard because, etc. to which I would announce more trash about my superiority to basically any other human being alive. It's funny how more than a decade later I recall playing that demo that day and similarly I remember the great excitement of that beach level, running up to the wall and blowing a hole in to we could make our way in, etc. Now, those were the glory days of online shooters to me. Nothing complicated but incredibly fun. Even the little details like the funny canned voice responses people would spam. I rate those two games multiplayer as among the very best I have ever played because they served up exactly the kind of gameplay I enjoy.

That year, my ex got me RtCW for Christmas. I have a bunch of screenshots from going through the single player stashed away. Certain games I've taken a bunch and saved them, that was one. Quake modded with Darkplaces was another.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#19 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 22 February 2016 - 01:45 AM, said:

Yeah, RtCW absolutely rocked. I remember playing the multiplayer demo of the beach level constantly just before the release. Loved it!
That beta/test/demo was amazing. Why they didn't include the map in the final release is beyond me. It is to this day still one of the best multiplayer maps I've ever experienced in a shooter.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

OK, found Wolfenstein: Old Blood for $20 on Steam after my last post and started downloading it.  It took until the wee hours of the morning to finish... the game is huge!  Anyway no time to play it now, I'll check it out this evening.  Thanks for the heads up.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat