DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

Do any of you guys enjoy listening to soundtracks of favorite games? I was just curious and if so what your favorite ones might be. I really enjoy them for some titles where the music stood out for me while I was playing.

An hour and a half worth of C&C music excellence (from the first game) thanks to Frank Klepacki is just about to wind up now. The music in this game is awesome and easily stands on its own but especially I think if you played and enjoyed the game it just rocks. It's not as noteworthy but I like the soundtrack for the first Baldur's Gate game a lot also. It just reminds me of running around the world of Faerun with my party on our quest. I lifted all the music files out of my EverQuest install and have been working on organizing them by expansion. I'm roughly half done with that. Those tunes make me remember the zones they played in and the fond memories I have of being there.

Here's one from GOG I fired up just for laughs where I've moved from north to south in North Carolina now, the "Redneck Rampage" and "Redneck Rampage Rides Again" soundtracks which are some rocking stuff that is pretty funny too. The game didn't do much for me although I need to go back and give it another shot for laughs. I think I was too lazy to configure the controls or something. I forget now. However, it turns out that the music alone easily justified the inexpensive purchase of the game there. I said to my sister today who was blasting some funny rap tune that the two of us are becoming assimilated to which she replied, "Resistance is futile" and we both had a good laugh. I had just told her about blasting my Redneck Rampage stuff the previous day.

Another one I really like but it was painfully brief is the Morrowind soundtrack. Fortunately, you could drop tunes into a certain folder and they'd just play in a random order I think. So I grabbed a few tunes from Ultima Online, Wizardry 8 and I forget what else and that worked very nicely while playing that game. So I have that in iTunes also. Naturally, I have other stuff by Jeremy Soule as well, all of it excellent. It turns out he did the soundtrack for Dungeon Siege that i just finished a play through of recently. I had noticed the music was really good and wouldn't you know, it turned out he composed it all.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

Good question.

Civ IV's title track was the song Baba Yetu by Christopher Tin, which I loved so much I bought the album that it was from. The album is not actually a game soundtrack though.

I don't think I listen to any other game soundtracks as a whole. I used to regularly listen to film soundtracks so I'm not sure why I didn't get into game soundtracks. For example I loved Myth & Myth 2's music but I didn't get the soundtracks. I wonder if there are game soundtracks on Apple Music?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:17 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 05 February 2016 - 08:12 PM, said:

I wonder if there are game soundtracks on Apple Music?

It's never dawned on me to look although I know that Blizzard released soundtracks for World of Warcraft and most if not all of its expansions on iTunes. I bought the original WoW, Burning Crusade and Taverns of Azeroth soundtracks which I like a lot. I'd like to get the Wrath of the Lich King one at some point also. Beyond that they are okay but not such that I'd buy them I don't think.

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 05 February 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

Do any of you guys enjoy listening to soundtracks of favorite games? I was just curious and if so what your favorite ones might be. I really enjoy them for some titles where the music stood out for me while I was playing.
Man, you just asked one of the world's biggest soundtrack aficionados. And yes, that includes games. Some of my favorites, in no particular order (except maybe sorta alphabetical):
  • Ace Combat 2
  • Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
  • Battlefield 3
  • Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
  • Caesar III
  • Command & Conquer (the original)
  • Command & Conquer: Generals
  • Destiny (Marty O'Donnell went out with a bang... stupid Bungie. His The Last Array was the most amped up a game track has gotten me in a long time)
  • Gears of War
  • Halo: Combat Evolved (and its live orchestra remaster from 2011)
  • Halo 2 (and its live orchestra remaster from 2014)
  • Killzone 2
  • Mass Effect
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Marathon
  • Parsec (never actually released, but I still really enjoyed the music it would have had)
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Rise of the Argonauts
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs
  • StarCraft
  • StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
  • StarForge (game ended up being one of the worst Early Access disasters of Steam, but the guy they hired to do the music delivered. I could listen to the soundtrack all day)
  • Streets of Rage
  • Titanfall
  • Trine
  • Trine 2
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Fallout 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider may end up on the list too. I haven't listened to the F4 soundtrack all the way through yet, but several of the tracks are really, really nice. Haven't listened to ROTR because I haven't finished it yet and don't want to spoil it, but there have been some great atmospheric tunes thus far, and some action music that got my blood pumping. Star Citizen's Squadron 42 will almost certainly end up on the list as well; they hired Pedro Camacho who I like very much, and even though I have only heard a few of his pieces thus far, I loved them.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:17 AM

You may take a look at this thread I made some time ago, on RPG soundtracks. Lots of good stuff. So yes, I listen a lot to game soundtracks. And movie scores for that matter.

My favorite all time game soundtrack has to be that of The Dig. Followed by the one for Myth II.  And apart from touching what Frost mentioned (And everything else on him), I also suggest getting the Black Mesa Soundtrack. And everything related to EVE online, if you like ambient spacey background stuff (Really good for writing!).

And my love for the Legend of Zelda series has also seen me collect a lot of that stuff.. I got 721 tracks just related to that in iTunes... :P
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:37 AM

Oh popsnizzle yes, The Dig. I never played that and even then I was familiar enough with how good the music was to buy the CD.

You know what, I need to play that.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:13 AM

You *really* need to play that. I consider it the finest adventure game made by Lucasarts. The setting with the music is absolutely incredible, and the story is so different from the rest of the Lucasarts games, due to its more mature approach. And exploring an alien world with all it has to offer of critters, ancient mysteries? mMmMm...  need to play that again soon.

Heck, you even get to reassemble the bones of a dead alien turtle, and reanimate it! And what you end up using it for is even more awesome.. ^_^

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#8 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

Love the soundtracks from the EU and HOI series. On many occasions, I'll listen to these while lyming around the house.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#9 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

Jeremy Soule's Icewind Dale soundtrack is a wonderful, evocative thing. I listen to it regularly. The Dear Esther soundtrack by Jessica Curry is also a favourite of mine.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

Ah, it's nice to know you guys enjoy these so much too. It's also nice to pick up some recommendations I need to check out.

#11 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

I'm more of a movie soundtrack guy, but the score to Riven is some of my all-time favorite music. Totally stoked Robyn Miller is scoring Obduction. The rest of the Must series is also pretty great, even the ones not made by him.

Honorable mentions go to Deus Ex Human Revolution, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Old City: Leviathan, Austin Wintory (Journey). +1 to Jessica Curry. Her score for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is also fantastic.

#12 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

Warcraft 2 - almost worth firing it up just to listen to...
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 06 February 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

You *really* need to play that. I consider it the finest adventure game made by Lucasarts. The setting with the music is absolutely incredible, and the story is so different from the rest of the Lucasarts games, due to its more mature approach. And exploring an alien world with all it has to offer of critters, ancient mysteries? mMmMm...  need to play that again soon.

Heck, you even get to reassemble the bones of a dead alien turtle, and reanimate it! And what you end up using it for is even more awesome.. ^_^
When we are talking LucasArts soundtracks, The Secret of Monkey Island should not go unmentioned.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

The first Marathon shipped with a dual purpose CD that not only had the game on it but it was a playable CD.  The music was full sounding synth created copies of the midi music that played during the game.  Some of the tunes were pretty good like Fat Man which just jumped up and rocked and another song, might be Landing that gave one and the charm and coziness  of seeing weird alien brains sliding down the bulkhead.  I played that CD a lot.  For awhile, even though I didn't play Myth I played the epic Myth music CD on the Myth Codex disk that Bungie gave me.  Played it as background music during man cave time for instance.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

I am not a huge soundtrack aficionado (though I do like VG Remixes) but I am very much appreciating this thread and scanning spotify for all relevant music.

pls keep listing popsnizzle for me to listen to.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#16 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

Wiki threads would be nice to have in this case, for everybody to add to post one.

#17 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

Last three I bought yesterday (thanks to Steam's Lunar New Year Sale):
Psychonauts Original Score
Psychonauts Cinematic Score
Papo & Yo Original Soundtrack

#18 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

I had a quick look on Apple Music for game soundtracks.

Quite a few EA soundtracks, including several Dragon Age games, Mass Effect 3.. and Peggle:  https://itun.es/us/eAp9p
From there I followed the links of various game composers to see if they did any non-EA games. This guy (Jack Wall) is also credited with Myst III, Myst IV and Jade Empire: https://itun.es/us/xjMgh
Myst and Riven: by Robyn Miller: https://itun.es/us/b_8RA

Also found soundtracks for Crysis, Sword Coast Legends, LOTR War in the North.
Marty O'Donnell is represented with several Halo games, but unfortunately his earlier work doesn't appear to be available.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#19 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

Another vote for Myth II - have that one on my computer.

#20 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:23 AM

View Postdojoboy, on 06 February 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

Love the soundtracks from the EU and HOI series. On many occasions, I'll listen to these while lyming around the house.
They are excellent, but after 500 hours, EU IV's tracks have become a bit repetitive.

View PostMatt Diamond, on 07 February 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

...Quite a few EA soundtracks, including several Dragon Age games, Mass Effect 3...Marty O'Donnell is represented with several Halo games...
Yup and yup.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State