Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

View PostCougar, on 17 February 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

Wait, are you saying this has to do with Error 53? It's because they just got hit with that court order.

I'm saying this is indicative of their stance on physical and software security. Error 53 is a byproduct of this security posture, for better or worse.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#62 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 17 February 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

I'm saying this is indicative of their stance on physical and software security. Error 53 is a byproduct of this security posture, for better or worse.

I suppose, but I still don't understand if it's a security thing, why your phone only becomes bricked after you attempt to update or restore it, and without warning.

#63 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

Because of the scary reports, I asked two different apple reps this question. They insisted the $329 was only the *maximum* amount, and the actual cost of repairs could only be given after they look at it. I really hope you're wrong or I am screwed. BattleCat, can I open a "Cougar's new iPhone" fund on here? Now accepting donations. ;)

Given the device is reporting a bad sensor I don't see them doing anything but the OOW flat rate. We have a SSA and are not an AASP but pretty much if it's not a screen replacement it's the full OOW fee not the screen replacement fee. Since they didn't do the screen replacement (when damage may have occurred with the screen replacement) I imagine they would just do the OOW flat rate. Assuming you are going to an actual apple store and not an AASP, I've seen some AASP's "flex" on this a bit. Genius Bar might have more flex than I do as an SSA too so YMMV, hope you get the good rate but I wouldn't expect it.

I will say if there is significant damage the OOW flat rates are a good deal. I just had a user spill all over their month old air and I sent it to the depot for flat rate repair and they literally replaced everything but the SSD. 700 better than 1400. I thought for sure they would send it back with "not economical to repair".
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#64 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 17 February 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Assuming you are going to an actual apple store and not an AASP, I've seen some AASP's "flex" on this a bit. Genius Bar might have more flex than I do as an SSA too so YMMV, hope you get the good rate but I wouldn't expect it.

Yep, I plan on going to an Apple Store, though there are authorized service providers close as well (actually, they are closer); you're saying I may have better luck there? I plan on giving them the complete sob story, while emphasizing that I am a poor grad student, and how displeased I was that the Apple rep told me to do something that they knew would brick my phone. All I can do!

Edit: Well, I just contacted an authorized service provider, and he said he isn't even allowed to work on unauthorized modified iPhones. He also said that Apple won't either.

#65 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostCougar, on 17 February 2016 - 12:53 PM, said:

I suppose, but I still don't understand if it's a security thing, why your phone only becomes bricked after you attempt to update or restore it, and without warning.

I think you hinted at this earlier when you suggested something may have happened to the sensor cable (i.e. these parts are ultra delicate and looking at them sends them into a quantum state of failure). It's failed the hardware check after restore but not necessarily because of restore. I don't know enough about the check to know for a fact but one might speculate there is a different hardware check that is performed at update/restore rather than during a reboot (it's possible the check only occurs during update/restore).

FWIW if you were talking to a tier 1 applecare phone jockey they are not necessarily privy to the specifics of complex technical issues such as error 53. These folks are often @home advisors or sometimes even outsourced call centers (Xerox runs some Applecare Call Centers). I'm not saying this to defend Apple, just that my expectations of 10 dollar an hour @home phone jockey is tempered. Personally I think they can afford to hire more competent support staff, they just don't. Support is a cost center not revenue generating.

My biggest beef with the whole situation is Apple PR really should have gotten out in front of this thing at first whiff. Hey if you don't do XYZ for a repair the boot trust chain is broken and the device is bricked so make sure you do XYZ. Apple made a conscious decision for this security functionality, they know after market repair is rampant, they should have communicated the necessity of in-house repairs much better than "well popsnizzle people have been complaining for a while I guess we'll post an obscure note on our service KB" *wipes hands* That's 100% on Apple.

#66 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 17 February 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

This just released open letter from Apple seems an incredible coincidence.

http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

Wow. Chilling is the word. I could say quite a bit about this but it gets into American history and politics so I won't. I just hope Apple is able to successfully defend themselves and all of us in this.

I hope that letter gets published in the NY Times and elsewhere to get the attention it needs.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#67 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out in court. I can't recall (or find) a situation in the past where a court has ordered a private company to develop a tool that doesn't exist. Which would be the court order should this go to court and were to Apple lose.

#68 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:25 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 17 February 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

Wow. Chilling is the word. I could say quite a bit about this but it gets into American history and politics so I won't. I just hope Apple is able to successfully defend themselves and all of us in this.

I hope that letter gets published in the NY Times and elsewhere to get the attention it needs.

Something something essential liberty, something something temporary safety...
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#69 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17379 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:39 AM

BattleCat, can I open a "Cougar's new iPhone" fund on here? Now accepting donations. ;)

Sure.  Call it an IMG Kickstarter campaign, of course a portion of that raised goes to greasing a certain paw.  Catnip and whiskey don't grow on trees ya know.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#70 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

They don't have whiskey trees in Cali! You should visit the midwest.

#71 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

Oh joyous day callooh callay!

Apple today admitted that they were wrong and have released a patch to unblock phones. Apparently it was never a security issue and simply  a mistake. I now have a working phone again.

I still plan on taking it to the Apple Store to see if they will fix the touch ID. But if they won't, it's not the end of the world. I just won't have Touch ID for seven months.

#72 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

Awesome. Glad to hear you made out okay there.

Now that clears the way for the IMG DirtyHarry Xbone kickstarter where you are all set. :happy:
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#73 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:31 PM

BTW, if you are easily amused, the MacRumors forums are a laugh riot now. Full of Apple apologists (I don't like that phrase, but it is apt here) doubling down that Apple never did anything wrong.

#74 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

I am not sure I would say they have. There's an argument to be made for bricking the device if the secure chain is untrusted, they just never "explicitly' made that argument and kind of tried to brush the whole thing under the rug for a while. I'm not apologizing for apple here though, they handled this whole situation pooooooooooooorly with bad communication and conflicting information.

#75 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

A slight setback: I was on 9.3b, and there is no fix for 9.3b yet. So I am stuck on 9.2.1, and all my backups are for 9.3 only. Le Sigh.

#76 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

Good news: I finally had time to go to the Apple Store again, and they replaced my screen, no questions asked. TouchID now works. I was very upfront that it was a third party repair gone bad. They didn't care.

Now to attempt to get my money back from the third party incompetents. Don't think it will be as easy.

#77 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17379 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

Well so far so good anyway.  And speaking of that, how is the Cougars New iPhone fund doing?  I've yet to get a corrupt kickback from that.  ::fingers the fusion deconfabulator resting fitfully in the leather holster slung low on his official looking space belt::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#78 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:35 AM

I've heard that Apple is giving out refurbished parts that will still eventually fail due to the same issue on the Macbook Pro 2011. I managed to fix mine by reflowing the solder over six months ago; no issues have returned as of yet. If it does it again, I will just reflow the solder again. Hopefully yours will last this time.

#79 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostCougar, on 22 March 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Good news: I finally had time to go to the Apple Store again, and they replaced my screen, no questions asked. TouchID now works. I was very upfront that it was a third party repair gone bad. They didn't care.

Now to attempt to get my money back from the third party incompetents. Don't think it will be as easy.

LOL get this guys: this morning my iPhone screen died. No joke. And it happened WHILE my class were giving their final research presentations, and I was using the timer app.

It would sort of come up after I shut it down and reboot, but then the screen would go blank after a minute. The phone was working (getting vibrations and Siri stuff) but I couldn't see anything. I successfully restored, but nothing appeared on the screen, so I think it's a screen issue. My 90-day warranty for the original repair expires in two weeks.

All I gotta say, it better be the goddamn screen.

#80 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

They charged me $329 for a new one. Wasn't the screen, some sort of power issue! lol. I have the worst luck.