#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:28 AM

Most of the people here have already had a great support experience with Apple, but I figured I'd add my most recent support story to try and offset some the negativity we've had towards Apple lately :P

My Late 2011 MBP is affected by the GPU recall issue, which is covered for another 4 weeks. My GPU has started to show signs of the issue, and so I took a video on my phone of the GPU issue happening and booked an Apple Store appointment. During the appointment the tech and I tried many different ways to make the GPU fail (Apple's hardware diagnostic tools, 3D mark, Furmark, etc.) but in true murphy's law fashion, the problem would not present itself in the presence of a support agent.

The tech apologized for not being to re-create the issue that I showed him in the video, but he offered to triage the machine, which means they take it to the back and do a full analysis of the machine. The next day I received a call from the support agent that my MBP was ready for pickup and that they had replaced the logic board. He said they weren't able to recreate the issue but he spent some time on the phone with Apple and told them about the video I had of the issue and they took his/my word that the video was legit and repaired the issue.

Over the years they've been extremely good to me:
  • Logic board replacement in this Late 2011 MBP without being able to re-create the problem
  • Replacing the screen for free on my out of warranty retina MBP (was 2 weeks past warranty) because it had 2 dead pixels
  • Replacing the screen AGAIN on my retina MBP because my dog decided it would be a nice thing to bite
  • Giving me a new iPhone 5 for free after I dropped mine in water and fried all of the speakers/microphones
Working in IT and providing support for a wide range of different clients, I've dealt with support from every major PC OEM (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc.). Apple has by far the best support of any company I've dealt with. Dell's ProSupport comes close, but you have to pay extra for it.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

FWIW it took the threat of a class action lawsuit for Apple to step up and issue a service bulletin on those MBP video issues.

Apple's support is better than most but warranty work is driven by bean counters same as everyone else.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

Hmm... another MBP GPU recall?

Uh. Link? I need to see if any of the four MBP I have fall under it :(

I've been having bad luck with 10.9 on my MBP3,1... but it seems to be a wi-fi issue, and Apple wont be able to help with a 7 year old mac ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 02 February 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

FWIW it took the threat of a class action lawsuit for Apple to step up and issue a service bulletin on those MBP video issues.

Apple's support is better than most but warranty work is driven by bean counters same as everyone else.

Ya I've seen the massive 100+ page threads on the Apple forums about people raging that it's not covered. As far as I know the class action lawsuit is still being figured out.

I'll probably get a $2 cheque in 2 years. To that I say:
Posted Image

View PostFrigidman™, on 02 February 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

Hmm... another MBP GPU recall?

Uh. Link? I need to see if any of the four MBP I have fall under it :(

I've been having bad luck with 10.9 on my MBP3,1... but it seems to be a wi-fi issue, and Apple wont be able to help with a 7 year old mac ;)

https://www.apple.co...ro-videoissues/

Products affected
  • 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models manufactured in 2011
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina models manufactured from Mid 2012 to Early 2013
Maybe this is the reason why Apple doesn't have a real GPU in almost all of their products these days. Recalls get expensive.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

There's currently 16 service programs listed in GSX eeeeeeesh.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 02 February 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

https://www.apple.co...ro-videoissues/

Products affected
  • 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models manufactured in 2011
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina models manufactured from Mid 2012 to Early 2013

Well, THIS one I'm on is a "MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)" according to the serial number lookup. Its my main, runs 10.6.8 on it, and the only 'video' issues I had/have is if I startup chrome and quit it too fast, my whole screen goes blue until I close the lid and open it.

I'll check the retina 15" in a bit. I think its a 2013 model. I've not used it other than turning it on and going through the 10.10 setup. Tuncer mailed me this old unit, so I don't know what condition it is (other than needs a good cleaning).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

Looks like the retina MBP is in the list too. But I've not used it enough to know if its having those sorts of issues. Wonder if I can just take it in anyhow and THEY can figure out if it needs the fix?

-Fm [1oM7]

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

They run a graphics diagnostic test. If it fails you get a new logic board.

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

Apple seems to have an ongoing epidemic with getting bad batches of GPUs in their laptops. Sadly my experience with the early '08 MBP's 8600M GTs dying did not mirror my stellar experience with Apple replacing my G5's power supply four years out of warranty. Both of those were out of pocket. I guess MacBook Pro owners aren't quite as coveted as pro customers who shelled out for a $5K tower.

Hopefully my Mid-2012's 650M never has problems; I love this machine to death.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3303 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:39 PM

View PostFrost, on 02 February 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

Apple seems to have an ongoing epidemic with getting bad batches of GPUs in their laptops. Sadly my experience with the early '08 MBP's 8600M GTs dying did not mirror my stellar experience with Apple replacing my G5's power supply four years out of warranty. Both of those were out of pocket. I guess MacBook Pro owners aren't quite as coveted as pro customers who shelled out for a $5K tower.

There was also an extended recall for the 2008 MBP's with the 8600M.

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

One of my much older MBP I had taken in and they gave me a new logicboard.

I guess I'll make an appt to the Apple Store and just take this retina 2012 in and let them run their tests on it. Cant hurt, I'm not really USING it yet, been to busy to set it up (has such a tiny screen guh)

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

Nice. Hope I get as lucky. My iPhone 6 Plus' battery is randomly dying prematurely, and I plan on taking it into the Apple Store soon. I fully expect to fork over $79 for a $5 part that shouldn't have broken after 15 months of use...

Apple should seriously give the US the same free 2-year warranty the EU enjoys by law.

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 02 February 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

They run a graphics diagnostic test. If it fails you get a new logic board.

VST is the bane of my existence. If the device has no video vs. the distorted video there is a procedure to run VST blind. This procedure does not work on FV2 encrypted devices. You know which ALL OF THEM ARE AT THE HERPSPITAL. So I have to have a lengthy escalation chat errrrry time.

Don't get me rong, Apple's service and support is lightyears ahead of anyone else in the business but repairs in the hungry days used to be so fast and loose. Tim Cook's apple runs an ultra tight logistical ship.

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostCougar, on 02 February 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

Nice. Hope I get as lucky. My iPhone 6 Plus' battery is randomly dying prematurely, and I plan on taking it into the Apple Store soon. I fully expect to fork over $79 for a $5 part that shouldn't have broken after 15 months of use...

Apple should seriously give the US the same free 2-year warranty the EU enjoys by law.

An acquaintance told me that he had narrowed this same problem down to iCloud related issues.  It's software related, and that is why it seems random.  Batteries most likely fine, software runs it down.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 02 February 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

An acquaintance told me that he had narrowed this same problem down to iCloud related issues.  It's software related, and that is why it seems random.  Batteries most likely fine, software runs it down.

Today it died at 89%. It's really weird.

That's almost worse, as I have no idea how to fix it. I wiped the phone and restored from backup, but it happened again a week later. It has also occurred across several iOS versions--9.2.1 and two 9.3 betas.

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

I had very good experience with Apple support on two occasions. The first time was shortly after I got my mid-2011 27" iMac and was having problems importing relatively simply documents from Microsoft Word for windows to Pages which eventually turned out to be because Word had saved them in Chinese language while displaying the text in English which was really bizarre. Apparently, it was as if I'd been creating them on a system setup with the Chinese but had written them in English and saved them or something really strange. It took them a while to figure that out after escalating my call to an upper tier of support. Once they knew that was the problem I forget what exactly they had me do to get around it but while at it I converted everything I had over to pages and tossed the originals. I was impressed at the length they went to in helping me with that.

The second and much bigger deal I've talked about here before some time ago which was the repeated in-home service calls they paid for on account of that same iMac melting itself repeatedly in which they replaced all three fans, the GPU, the damaged display and the damaged glass over it. All told, they came to see me three times, twice in Massachusetts and once in North Carolina. After replacing both the display panel and the glass panel a second time due to heat damage I suggested that I felt we'd hit the end of the road here and this system seemed to be a lemon. They were apologetic and agreed with no arguments at all. They overnighted me a return box prepaid to ship it back to them. As soon as it was in the system as being in transit back to them, they did not wait for its arrival but instead immediately sent me the replacement I am using now which is a late-2013 27" iMac which is a significant upgrade from what I had. They shipped this overnight too. None of this cost me anything. The entire time I got frequent email communication from someone assigned to assist me until I was all set via email and also by phone. I also their number to call if I had any questions or problems. They even tossed in a superdrive for free so I would not lose any functionality I had in the previous system where newer ones no longer have internal DVD drives. This all happened around the 2 year mark of ownership. I had AppleCare thankfully so that is how I was able to get in-home service on it even in a relatively rural area of North Carolina. Similarly, I was in a relatively rural area of Massachusetts for those service calls too. I know there are some limitations there if you are too far out in the boondocks but fortunately I guess I am not so that's nice. Lastly, they offered me several choices related to my warranty and I opted to take a pro-rated refund on the AppleCare remaining with an option to purchase another 3 years of it anytime up to one year after taking delivery of the replacement system which per usual would start with the date I took delivery of it.

I guess some folks might look at this like, what a hassle I went through with multiple service calls and a failed system, etc. but I look at it like they took such good care of me when things went wrong. Sometimes even the best company's product can have problems and what really matters to me is how do they take care of you in that event. I give Apple a full 5 stars there and then some. Their support has been absolutely first class all the way. That is something people fail to take into account when being critical of what Apple products cost I think. It is expensive to provide this kind of customer service and that's just one significant part of the value of buying Apple products in my opinion. Others include the excellent software they provide with their systems such as Time Machine, basic office applications and some very cool specialty stuff like Garage Band that I've had a great deal of fun with as I play acoustic guitar. I could go on about the way the elements of the Apple ecosystem work so well together, the design factors and more but I'd just be preaching to the choir around here I think.

I'm not very critical of them personally. There are some things I wish they would do but I can on the other hand see the reasoning for the choices they make and the sense in it usually. Even the aesthetics of OS X which bugged me some as it continues to evolve are really small stuff when I think about it. I'd never want to live in the Windows world again full time, that's for sure. I like all of this so much more. I love all the cool apps I can mix and match to create just the environment I want to do things the way I want to do them. I could never attain that elusive dream in Windows, not even close. Some might disagree with me here but I really love iTunes also. I use it all the time. It's such a cool place for apps, books, music - tons of great music and movies. I love my Apple TV. The thing is awesome. I can't wait to get the new one when I have the money for that including to fool with some of the simpler games you can play on it just for fun.

I consider AppleCare a part of the cost for anything more expensive than the Apple TV. That way I don't have to worry if something I can't easily service myself has a problem. It's so worth it for this stuff. It was a good thing for me that my 2011 iMac died. I made out on that deal.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#17 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 02 February 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

There was also an extended recall for the 2008 MBP's with the 8600M.

Yeah, I know... I was one of those lucky people who had them die one month and then three months outside the extended service window. Hoo-frakking-ray.

With that being said, they took care of a PSU replacement for my G5 outside of warranty that was $1000 just for the parts when they didn't have to. $300 repairing a couple MacBook Pros is very small compared to that.

Whoever the manager of the Woodlands Mall Apple Store was in 2010, that guy or gal was a badass for signing off on that. Cousin is an Apple Store assistant manager and informed me years later that the manager had to have used the store's discretionary repair funds allotment to do that for me.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#18 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

My mom was hospitalized last fall for a couple of weeks (she's been battling a serious heart condition) during which one of the hospital staff accidentally knocked her MacBook off the bed and onto the floor--cracked screen. She doesn't have Apple Care and the MB was a few months out of warranty so I saw many $$$. I took it to the local Genius Bar and with no questions asked, the Genius offered to replace the screen, no charge.

Why I've been an Apple fan since 1994. :)
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

All these anecdotes are great, and I've had Apple do some above and beyond work in the past. Problem is most of them are from the fast and loose repair era. It's only been in the past couple of years the logistical nuts have been torqued down. Genius's and other techs (AASPs, SSAs, etc.) had GREAT leeway in processing repairs in the past. If you thought something was bad, you could just bleep bloop in GSX. Now everything requires a logged diagnostic from AST/AST2 to process a repair in GSX. Anything outside of this requires a CS override from Apple, which has become increasingly difficult.

Truly there is like a post 2013 new era of CS at Apple. Still better than most companies, not as gud as the past.

I do think us SSAs get the nuts tightened the most. We aren't really a public facing arm of Apple, there's no CS measurement for appeasing me vs. appeasing a retail customer.

As frost indicated some locations may have a slush fund of sorts. Also retail stores have access to some sort of customer database I don't have access to as an SSA. TO this day whatever that database is still lists the rong address (my mom's address) and I've not lived there for 15 years. Every time some genius mashes away and every time I go in it's still the old damn address.

#20 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:31 PM

I had a bad experience with AppleCare when my son got a new iMac. Had an intermittent kernel panic when wifi was on. I jumped through all sorts of hoops with one Apple tech after another, and when I twice switched to a new tech (to escalate, or when one of them stopped returning my calls) the new tech insisted on troubleshooting from scratch.

Eventually Apple sent a repair tech to replace the motherboard. After which the iMac stopped booting entirely. The repair tech called Apple, and unbelievably, the person he reached refused to authorize replacing the iMac and wanted to troubleshoot from scratch again. I'm afraid I yelled at him, then reached the boss of an earlier tech who agreed that it was time to replace it.

My takeaway is, AppleCare isn't a classic helpdesk where everyone shares your case history and moves the ball forward. They could all see the history, they just didn't care. None of them respected the previous case workers' conclusions or promises.

I hear their ipod and iphone support is pretty good; they've replaced units outright for people I know, in one case an Applecare-less phone was replaced for $250 after the owner damaged it. But I'm still scratching my head about my son's iMac-- it was brand new, and it took them weeks and much work on my part before they made it right.

Do I sound bitter? I'm not bitter. It was years ago. Why would I still be bitter?

I'm still an Apple cheerleader, but that's mainly because the rest of the industry is worse.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.