Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

So I've been pitting my Quad G5 against the latest mobile hardware whenever possible just to gauge advancement. Thus far it's had no problems crushing an iPod Touch 4, iPod Touch 5, iPad 4, iPad mini 2, 3, and 4, iPad Air, iPod Touch 6, NVIDIA Shield Portable, iPhone 5, 6, 6S, etc. Although with each new advance they creep ever closer.

Well, it finally happened. Except for a couple multi-core scalar operations, my dual 970MPs pulling 200W have been dethroned by a Tegra X1 pulling 10W.

Geekbench 2 Showdown: PowerMac G5 Quad (2 x Dual Core PowerPC 970MP) vs. NVIDIA Shield Console (1 x Quad Core Tegra X1)

Amusingly, the Quad G5 measuring by floating point was 38 times the power of the 1990 LN2-cooled Cray YMP that took up an entire floor of the ARCO building near where I grew up and used to have massive draw on the city power grid when they'd run simulations over there. That's what 15 years of advancement does. Now that machine is tied or beaten in every category except multicore text decompression and Mandelbrot by a 10W mobile chip. That's what another 10 years of advancement does.

Awesome.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostFrost, on 11 January 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

So I've been pitting my Quad G5 against the latest mobile hardware whenever possible just to gauge advancement. Thus far it's had no problems crushing an iPod Touch 4, iPod Touch 5, iPad 4, iPad mini 2, 3, and 4, iPad Air, iPod Touch 6, NVIDIA Shield Portable, iPhone 5, 6, 6S, etc. Although with each new advance they creep ever closer.

Well, it finally happened. Except for a couple multi-core scalar operations, my dual 970MPs pulling 200W have been dethroned by a Tegra X1 pulling 10W.

Geekbench 2 Showdown: PowerMac G5 Quad (2 x Dual Core PowerPC 970MP) vs. NVIDIA Shield Console (1 x Quad Core Tegra X1)

Amusingly, the Quad G5 measuring by floating point was 38 times the power of the 1990 LN2-cooled Cray YMP that took up an entire floor of the ARCO building near where I grew up and used to have massive draw on the city power grid when they'd run simulations over there. That's what 15 years of advancement does. Now that machine is tied or beaten in every category except multicore text decompression and Mandelbrot by a 10W mobile chip. That's what another 10 years of advancement does.

Awesome.

Processing power really does march forward at an amazing rate.

I'd be interested in seeing how the 6S matched up against the G5. How much did the G5 win by?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

And you wonder why NASA can't send more people to the moon... surely three iPads would be enough redundancy to replace the entire command module innards they used to have? Maybe they don't work in zero-G.... Apple: GET ON THAT.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

View PostFrost, on 11 January 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:19 AM

^^ Nerdgasm!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:03 AM

At least the G5 still looks better and has more RAM.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

So it seems I've made some mistakes. Now, the results still stand, but I just misinterpreted them some is all. First off:

View PostSneaky Snake, on 11 January 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

I'd be interested in seeing how the 6S matched up against the G5. How much did the G5 win by?

Full disclosure, it didn't. I made a mistake there translating scores (Geekbench 2 doesn't bench the 6S, and Geekbench 3 doesn't bench the G5). After revising my results, it appears the 6S about ties a G5 (WTF, a Quad G5 in your pocket, what is this!) as well as the Shield console. So in reality, the Shield console was the first to do it upon release, and as of the 6S' release, now an iOS device has managed to do the same.

My main mistake is I didn't know as much about the Tegra X1 when I made this post as I do now; it's actually an octacore big.LITTLE configuration CPU with four high-power 64-bit cores and four low-power 32-bit cores. Geekbench does not properly access the high power 64-bit portion of the CPU, just the LITTLE 32-bit low power portion. So I benched the LITTLE half of the big.LITTLE ARM SoC in there.

With that in mind, the 32-bit LITTLE portion is nearly tied with the 64-bit A9 in the iPhone 6S running full tilt, and surpasses a Quad G5 PowerMac. The 64-bit big portion of the CPU is supposed to be quite a bit more powerful. Which means this particular mobile chip probably not only tied the G5 in March 2015, it stomped a mudhole in it. I gotta figure out how to access and bench the 64-bit half of the CPU. I must know by how much.

<Nerding intensifies>

This all being said, the Shield console may be a mobile chip but it's clocked high and running in a set top box device, not actually a mobile device, so I'm not sure it counts. In that case, the Shield console gets the honor of dethroning a Quad G5 with a mobile chip, but the iPhone 6S gets the honor of dethroning a Quad G5 with an actual fully mobile device.

The Quad G5 now hangs on solely by the GPU power of the QuadroFX 4500, which as yet has not been defeated by either the Tegra X1 or the A9. But they're both getting really close... so close that either Parker (Tegra P1) or the A10 is probably going to do the job.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.