Does anyone know where i can buy the Universal Binary for Halo?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mlvaliant

mlvaliant

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

Does anyone know where i can buy the universal binary for Halo? My friend's sister is going to give me her Halo CD-ROM.

And I plan on installing it into my Intel mac.

I would love to play Halo on Intel Mac hardware.

I checked Macgamestore but they no longer have it.

HELP!
----------
My Systems:
Mac mini: Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge 2.3Ghz w/ HyperThreading, Mac OSX 10.10, 16GB RAM, Intel 4000 HD, 1TB HD, 2TB External HD (HFS+), 1TB External HD (NTFS)), Samsung USB 2 External Blu-Ray burner, External USB 2 DVD Writer

MacBook Pro 15.4": Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge 2.3 GHz w/ Hyperthreading, Mac OSX 10.9.5, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 650 512MB, SuperDrive, Windows 8.1 Pro, 500GB HD

iPad 2: A5 dual core CPU, 16GB, iOS 8.1

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

Are you intending to play multiplayer? If so, forget the Universal Binary. You need to Bootcamp your Mac and play the Windows version. The Mac UB never got updated when the GameSpy servers shut down. Bungie issued a final update setting up a new Halo master server in their own offices and adding modern high res monitor support, but MacSoft/Destineer never updated the Mac version when they did that. After this long, it looks like they probably never will either.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, MGS disabled selling that when that happened. It was so out of date, it was basically a wash. Plus there was some crazy serial code checks and hoops to go through as the UB was only to be sold to people who originally bought the boxed version.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:24 PM

On another note, if you only care about playing single-player and you can locate a copy of the Halo UB application, there are no serial number checks or disc checks anything. Or at least not the disc version they gave out through the mail for $10 back in the day (which I got).

Not suggesting you take any particular course of action with that, but since Destineer no longer offers paying customers an option, I'm just putting it out there.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

Look on eBay for old Mac games.  Contact the sellers and ask them about the UB.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Heh, this is the information we have for that file:

This is the universal binary version of Halo: Combat Evolved and is intended for PowerPC and Intel Mac owners who previously purchased Halo and would like to upgrade.

Once you have downloaded the Halo UB disc image, you will need a blank CD disk (700 MB only) to burn the Halo Universal Binary CD. Use Disc Utility (found in the Utilities folder on your Mac) to burn the Halo UB image you downloaded. Please note that using a utility other than Apple Disc Utility, such as Toast, will not work.

To burn the image, find Disc Utility and launch it. Then go to Images menu and select "Burn". When the dialog window appears, find the Halo UB.dmg image and select it and click on "Burn".

Once burned you can then run Halo on your Intel Mac. Please note that you will need your newly created Halo CD each time you wish to play Halo.

Note: This will only work with the US version!

Wow... clearly this all broke when MGS switched to the "Client Downloader/Installer" currently used now (The MacGameStore.app). As it would try to download it, then go "wtf I cant install this! *crash*". Ahhhh, the age of 'dumbing down everything for adults to kindergarten levels'... gotta love it.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

Anyone still playing Halo multiplayer? It would be fun to setup a IMG night sometime.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 11 January 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

Anyone still playing Halo multiplayer? It would be fun to setup a IMG night sometime.

Sadly no. I tried to play it, but it just doesn't wanna play for me in any respectable manner (or at all) .... on ANY machine I have now. Both PC and Mac alike. Not sure the issue, but after wasting a couple weekends trying, I just deemed it "well, it was fun, and now forever a fond memory of such". :(

-Fm [1oM7]

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:46 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 11 January 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

I would be down for that! Have PC Halo 1, will travel. I've hardly played in years, but when I loaded it up about this time last year just to see what the server population is like I ended up killing everyone in the game single-handedly with the pistol like the old days, so I think I still got the hang of it. :P

Eric5h5: