#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

So, spill your thoughts, which do you use, or prefer, had horror stories with, or not.

I see CCC is far more expensive, and you have to pay to go from 10.6 to anything higher, while SuperDuper's upgrade path is free to all original buyers. BUT, does 'more expensive' mean 'mo betteh'?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

I prefer SuperDuper. It has simple interface.

I always though CCC has more.. how do you say it around here? popsnizzle? :teehee:

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

Try both Fm.  SuperDuper works as advertised on my system whereas CCC does not.  CCC did not clone, forget what the problem.  But now conversely, SuperDuper failed to clone on my wife new Mac Pro laptop and CCC worked great.  Go figure.  Either one does what I want it to do, clone on a schedule leaving a bootable backup drive... but I have to use one app on my system and the other one uses the other.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

Have been using Super Duper because I bought a licence ages ago and the upgrades so far have been free with each OS X change where as CCC went from pay a little to remove the ads to a more substantial price. That said CCC is still quite easy to use and does has extra more advance features and can clone the recovery partition.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

I've used CCC for innumerable cloning jobs with no issues. It's been reliable enough that I've got a technician's license for it. SuperDuper didn't work out too well for me when I tried it in PPC days and kept having problems with cloning my PowerBook, but that was a long time ago so that probably has no bearing on the current state of the utility.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

I have both. CCC is a LOT better at recovering files from drives with bad sectors. It will skip the files unable to be read and make a log of the skipped files. I believe superduper 2.8 may have made some improvements in that regard. Generally they are both pretty decent for basic cloning and full disk back. For more advanced/technician use CCC is the clear winner. FWIW I am running Super Duper at home and have CCC Pro on my handy dandy repario drive at work. For the home user SuperDuper is perfectly fine at half the cost. But mo money does in fact mean mo betta in this case, it's just a matter of will you take advantage of the "mo betta"

As far as CCC increasing in price it used to be a side project of Mike's and now it's his full time gig (with employees). The improvements have been substantial for the prosumer/enterprise customer and it is well worth the price. Have drank beers with him at a conference. Super chill ultra smart guy.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

I really wish Mike would make a Windows version too. Not only would he make some serious money off of that, but CCC is a frakton nicer than any comparable Windows utility I've ever seen.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

Heh, the "windows" utility I use is Clonezilla, and talk about NOT USER FRIENDLY.

Right now I'm doing a copy of my time capsule to a new external from an old external... and I'm using SuperDuper, since it was already on my mac and I've used it before. However now, after 7 hours and only 1.5 million files... I'm wondering if CCC would have been faster. Surely there could have been a way to just copy en bulk, instead of trying to negotiate every single little link and file that a time capsule has.

Oh well... SuperDuper shows its only got maybe another 2 hours to go... so it may be a complete waste if I stop it now and try CCC.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

Lots of tiny writes, varying network conditions, etc... since SuperDuper and CCC are both file copies by default I'm not sure it would be a lot faster. If SuperDuper is anything it's fast, corrupt drives not withstanding. I'm not sure there is a way to do a block copy of a time capsule. CCC requires the source and destination both be locally-attached, HFS+ formatted volumes that it can unmount to do a block copy.

xxcopy for life. Back in my windows admin days I had some slutty xxcopy scripts for moving data around.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

I have used SuperDuper at home for years, works great. I switched from CCC a long time ago, I forget why, I think there was a brief window where it didn't support my configuration, but I'm sure that was back when it was a part-time gig.

The fact that both products have been around as long as they have suggest that you can use either. It sounds plausible that CCC is the best bet for a technician, who might for example want to clone a failing drive before attempting repairs. I use SuperDuper as one of my backups (in addition to Time Machine) and also on rare occasions to move to a new disk. I was always cloning a fully working disk, in other words.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#11 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

I have used both and they work well. Recently, I've preferred SuperDuper, but CCC saved my ass a few times. Kudos to them.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#12 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

I use a linux live partition wtih GParted. It's not exactly pretty or super user friendly (although it's fine as you long as you're willing to read online a bit) but it gets the job done everytime and is completely free.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB