• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

http://www.techradar...hnology-1304784

MacLife merged with Tech Radar?

Granted I haven't subscribed since maybe a year after the MacAddict format conversion. I just couldn't get into the new ultra newb format. I didn't think it was bad per se I just didn't get anything out of it. They were one of the last US Macintosh Magazine holdouts though. Makes me sad. I'm going to go drink some toilet water hold on.

Ok I'm back. Has culture really changed so much that there is no longer a market for a high quality prosumer US Macintosh magazine? The UK is rife with them but I can't afford 20 bucks a pop to get them here.

http://readretro.com somehow has been making a go at a high quality niche magazine (honestly I expected it to fold after a couple issues).

Same with MacWorld convention, Apple is more popular than anything in the history of things and there isn't a market for a convention anymore? Surely there's a market for us old fogey? Maybe not. I'll just go drink some more toilet water.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 January 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Maybe not. I'll just go drink some more toilet water.

::leaving macdude's bathroom with a newspaper under his arm::  Huh what?  You don't want to go in there for a while.  Maybe tomorrow.

I was a MacAddict reader from issue one.  I even contributed a Marathon screen capture that they published.  I worked as a moderator on their forums for a couple of years.  I was working there when I joined this site.  So I was like a fan of the magazine, but they totally lost me when they rebranded as Mac Life.  They should have named themselves Apple Life because the Mac was nearly abandoned in favor of iPhones, iPods and other Apple gizmos.  I didn't have any of that junk so the magazine had no interest for me.  I canceled my subscription not long after because it became apparent they weren't covering Macs anymore except in passing.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

I'm honestly surprised Mac Life lasted this long. I was a MacAddict subscriber for its entire run, but after the relaunch as Mac Life, the magazine had that same soul-sucking quality as looking at an endless stream of women's facebook posts about their food, kids, and selfies. I let my subscription lapse and never looked back.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 05 January 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Has culture really changed so much that there is no longer a market for a high quality prosumer US Macintosh magazine?

Yes, I believe the culture has changed that much.  A large portion of the population was not born by 1986.  A Mac or PC is equivalent to their fathers IBM mainframes.  They came of age in a tanked economy.  Millennials have abandoned ownership and rent instead of buy.  If they DO buy, it is going to be the cheapest thing with the most bang for the buck.  Like a smart phone.  It does all the things online they need plus it's rife with free apps.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:44 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 05 January 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

Yes, I believe the culture has changed that much.  A large portion of the population was not born by 1986.  A Mac or PC is equivalent to their fathers IBM mainframes.  They came of age in a tanked economy.  Millennials have abandoned ownership and rent instead of buy.  If they DO buy, it is going to be the cheapest thing with the most bang for the buck.  Like a smart phone.  It does all the things online they need plus it's rife with free apps.

They're all about the cost per month instead of upfront cost.

Ooooo look at this shiny thing! It's only $5000, which is really only $5/month for 1000 years on my credit card. Deal!
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:09 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 05 January 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

Millennials have abandoned ownership and rent instead of buy.  

It costs too much to buy. I just scavenge through dumpsters.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

Millennials:  the tragedy of being born before the invention of replicators.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1365 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

Sad, but not surprising. I still have my old MacAddicts. As others have said, MacAddict lost their identity after they became MacLife and dropped Max. They lost their humor and became lifeless and boring.

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

I still have most of my MacAddict mags.  An old acquaintance, Godzfire, emailed me and wanted me to upload a number of disks to a Macaddict Archive.  My upload speed sucks so I did him one better sent him all the CDs.  I'm on the verge of tossing all my old MacAddict mags too.  Any takers will pay the postage and give me a Friskie's kitty treat.  The crunchy kind not those soft ones.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

Yis I will pay you shipping and a can of fancy feast for that delectable collection

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:17 PM

I've got all the MacAddicts including a shrinkwrapped copy of the premiere issue and I think most if not all of the discs.

You can't have them.

Incidentally, while fishing out a bunch of the MacAddict discs and transforming bunch of my old disorganized computer stuff stash into something organized and respectable last summer, I also found my collection of Inside Mac Games discs. I should make images of all of them for posterity or something. Actually, on that note, you know what would be cool... an Inside Mac Games Archival Blu-ray. I bet they'd all fit on a dual layer BD easily.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#12 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

Agreed..longtime/oldtime MacAddict fan here with a giant stack of magazines from them. The transition to MacLife killed it instantly for me and I unsubscribed.

All things have an end I suppose. Liking the ideas here for Macaddict/IMG archive stuff of the discs.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#13 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2462 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

Liking the ideas here for Macaddict/IMG archive stuff of the discs.

I was going to suggest submitting the MacAddict discs to Archive.org for posterity, but they seem to have 147 of them already: link
Not sure how complete that collection is. (I almost didn't find them because they aren't tagged "Macintosh" for some reason.)

They also have 42 Inside Mac Games discs. I know IMG put out more content than that including floppies, but maybe this is all the CDs?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 09 January 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

I was going to suggest submitting the MacAddict discs to Archive.org for posterity, but they seem to have 147 of them already: link
Not sure how complete that collection is. (I almost didn't find them because they aren't tagged "Macintosh" for some reason.)

Didn't see this the first time around.  Godzfire from Fileball forums of old contacted me wanting me to upload some missing MacAddict disks to archive.org.  I just don't have the upstream bandwidth to upload a MacPaint doc, much less a dozen CDs.  So after a few failed tries and repeated requests, I just gave him the CDs knowing it was going to go to archive.org.  I had nearly every one of them.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3804 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:46 PM

My dad bought MacAddict regularly. It was a huge thing that one day a month when you got the CD filled with unknown treasures. I tried EVERYTHING on those discs!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

I was a moderator in the MacAddict forums where I ran the games sub-forum.  I loved that magazine, had a picture of me playing my Marathon Hell Hole map published in it.  Read the mag cover to cover.  They used to have MacOS system updates that were super convenient considering I had a 54K modem with a grounding fault in the signal slowing it down.  I used a lot of their free and shareware.  It was my window to the Mac world for the longest time.

MacLife changed all of that and I started finding my info elsewhere.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat