Metro 2033/Last Light questions

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JohnB

JohnB

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

Got 'em from steam while they were on special. Good games, but the system requirements seem a little high...does anyone there test their games with anything other then a high end rig--or do they just run it and if doesn't crash, ship it??--enough ranting for now

Just wondering if there are any cheats for these games. Acoording to what I've read, there may be, but getting them to work is tough. Yeah, I know..... cheating isn't a good idea as it might spoil the game, but for those of us who don't like to die so often it might be helpful

thanks

JohnB

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

When it comes to cheats, it is your fun and you should feel fine about having it anyway you want to. You might want to bookmark Gamefaqs as one good site that offers helpful walkthroughs and I think also often serves up cheats for games too. I think the Gamespot and Giantbomb sites also feature cheats on the relevant game page when you search for one of interest at either place.

You may already do this but there's no shame in just choosing easy/tourist or whatever mode in a game for openers too. You can always up the difficulty later if you find it too easy and not fun because of it. I do that a lot. I don't care what people think. I gave up on that sometime after I got out of high school. They can think whatever they want to. That's fine. I think I will do whatever I please. That works for me! :)

While I have faith in ports from Feral and Aspyr I otherwise like getting Steamplay or GOG games with both Mac and PC versions so if the Mac port is a problem I have the option to play via bootcamp. I haven't played either of these games yet but having read about them I will try them in OS X but I'm glad I have the bootcamp option for them. I don't know if I'd have bought either of them without knowing I could fall back to that. In any case, if your system did at least meet the minimum specs I hope then hopefully they will run fine for you. As you may already know, turning down resolution can help a lot along with various other eye candy if need be but especially resolution as it greatly reduces the number of pixels that have to be drawn to the screen.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostJohnB, on 04 January 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

Yeah, I know..... cheating isn't a good idea as it might spoil the game, but for those of us who don't like to die so often it might be helpful

Cheat all you want playing solo.  The object of games is fun and enjoyment.  If you aren't enjoying yourself, then why bother?  Cheat my brother cheat.  Force the game to entertain you.  You paid for it, it's yours, make it bow down before you.  If I was dying because of a slowly running game, then I'd turn the eye candy down to acceptable levels.  If not possible then install Bootcamp and try it in Windows.  I've done this myself recently and it was money well spent.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

Cheat on bro!

:)

I only played Metro 2033, and it had such terrible performance, I wrote the entire series off. Even at rock-bottom low settings the game ran like snot. So I just muddled through it to at least say 'i finished it'... then uninstalled, sent it to the "hidden" category, and forever forgotten.

What were we talking about?

OH YEAH CHEATS!

Cheats are great for solo play. But if you do it in multi-play, then may the unholy gods and hellfire rain down upon thee!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:28 AM

I generally don't cheat, at least on the first playthrough, as I feel it keeps me from experiencing a game the way it was meant to be. That's just for me though; if you don't care about that stuff, have at it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:54 AM

Well, generally speaking I don't like cheats either. However some games come along that 'the way they were meant to be played, is just sadistic and un-fun'... so then I hunt out some way to get a leg up.

One such game was "Hard Reset". Sure, it starts out fun, great shooter, neat visuals... fun play. Then in the middle its like "oh, they got this far? TOO BAD NO MORE FOR YOU!" and the difficulty ramps up to the insane. At that point, after dying over and over because there simply is no ammo to be found, and every 'one' bad guy takes entire clips just to bring down... I found a cheat that gave me unlimited ammo. Eff dat shizzle! DIE BEEYOTCHS!

Other games I tend to cheat on, but this is purely my style of playing them, are RTS. I like resource cheats, so I can turtle through, build a massive base/town/city/army, and then go on a rampage wiping out everything else on the map. I CALL THAT FUN. The way they 'want me to play' is not fun in my book.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

I can definitely get behind those scenarios. :)

I know if Conan the Game had allowed me to cheat, I'd have probably used one despite my "way it was meant to be played" philosophy. Holy frakking popsnizzle that game's boss battles made beating Shao Khan at the end of the last Mortal Kombat without taking any damage seem like an utterly trivial task. Conan had no cheats and only had one difficulty setting: Destroy the Player's Sanity Mode.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

Cheater!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 January 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

Cheater!

Sometimes that's just the way the game is played. :P

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 08 January 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

Sometimes that's just the way the game is played. :P

Agreed.  But that's not the way little cheater pants Frost plays.  He deserves the fetid shame heaped on him like burning coals.  The rest of us have a "Get Out of Jail Free" card for that.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

Just wondering if there are any cheats for these games.

Don't do it! :o Srs though Metro 2033 at least is a seriously fantastic survival shooter. It doesn't function on the extreme end of resource management but deprives you just enough to make you have to think about how you are going to approach a situation. You might screw up one fight and then need to approach another a different way further down the road (or metro tunnel as the narrative will have you). It's excellent!! truly one of my favourite shooters.

Metro Last Light is a little more of a traditional shooter in that regard, even on higher difficulties you'll never really need to conserve your ammo.

And the games are not the best optimised imo. I'd probably still struggle to run them on super high settings, but if you keep things around medium it should be fine.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#12 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on 09 January 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

Don't do it! :o Srs though Metro 2033 at least is a seriously fantastic survival shooter. It doesn't function on the extreme end of resource management but deprives you just enough to make you have to think about how you are going to approach a situation. You might screw up one fight and then need to approach another a different way further down the road (or metro tunnel as the narrative will have you). It's excellent!! truly one of my favourite shooters.

Metro Last Light is a little more of a traditional shooter in that regard, even on higher difficulties you'll never really need to conserve your ammo.

And the games are not the best optimised imo. I'd probably still struggle to run them on super high settings, but if you keep things around medium it should be fine.

I am one of those OS X-native gamers that came around to really enjoying the performance of the Metro Redux games, due to nVidia's web drivers for OS X!! They really made them a pleasure to play now. If only they could provide me with infinite gas mask filters!! :)
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#13 nyrican84

nyrican84

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

Got 'em from steam while they were on special. Good games, but the system requirements seem a little high...does anyone there test their games with anything other then a high end rig--or do they just run it and if doesn't crash, ship it??--enough ranting for now

Just wondering if there are any cheats for these games. Acoording to what I've read, there may be, but getting them to work is tough. Yeah, I know..... cheating isn't a good idea as it might spoil the game, but for those of us who don't like to die so often it might be helpful

thanks

JohnB

I'm a year late, but this is the first time playing Metro Last Light Redux...has anyone found any cheats that work on a Mac?  I usually don't use them until I get stuck...I'm stuck :(

Thanks in advance.

nyrican84

#14 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

thanks

JohnB

John,

What are your Mac's specs? Specifically the GPU?
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

View Postnyrican84, on 18 January 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I'm a year late, but this is the first time playing Metro Last Light Redux...has anyone found any cheats that work on a Mac?  I usually don't use them until I get stuck...I'm stuck :(

Thanks in advance.

nyrican84

I would check these sites for cheats: Gamefaqs, Giantbomb, Gamespot and IGN. You'll probably find what you need before reaching the end of that list.

Not that I ever use cheats mind you. I just heard about them from the Battle Cat. He uses them all the time he said.

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 January 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

Not that I ever use cheats mind you. I just heard about them from the Battle Cat. He uses them all the time he said.

FAKE NEWS!!!!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 19 January 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

FAKE NEWS!!!!!

https://twitter.com/...003394752999424
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

I have that story by multiple highly reliable sources I'll have you know: me, myself and I.

Also, this just in...

Although purely unsubstantiated hearsay from a questionable source from another planet which shall remain nameless for now, apparently macdude22 has been involved in cheating as well. Again, I'm not saying this is true. I am just bringing it up to raise doubt and possibly even cause assumptions of guilt to be made because it is very important to report stuff like this that might be true but also might not be true before I have any idea if it is true or not.

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

You bet I do. I have a great book on vidja game cheats.

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#20 nyrican84

nyrican84

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 January 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

I would check these sites for cheats: Gamefaqs, Giantbomb, Gamespot and IGN. You'll probably find what you need before reaching the end of that list.

LOL...Thanks for the info, unfortunately, I have not seen any available for the Mac.  It was a bit easier to find some when I used to play on Win rigs.  Once I finish the game, I would still love to find some so that i can explore without getting massacred!