DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:37 PM

It's not quite that bad but close. These guys are really being obnoxious about pushing the "upgrade" on users. Check this out from the article I'll link below:

"Microsoft will keep offering consumers free upgrades to Windows 10 until the end of July in 2016. Expect the company to do more to encourage businesses and consumers alike to pick up the new operating system. Case in point: Microsoft has already revealed that it will start automatically downloading the Windows 10 installer on some Windows computers as a recommended update.

As part of that, the installer will run automatically, though users will have to choose to go forward with the upgrade process themselves.

http://www.computerw...ed-updates.html

What I really object to here myself is Microsoft wasting any of my allowed monthly bandwidth without my express consent and then wasting disc space for the upgrade installer which I am sure will be buried who knows where and then running it to interrupt whatever I am doing with an upgrade I repeatedly keep refusing to take when the thing in my task bar launches every time i start Windows 7. Unbelievable.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

"We are the Windows.  You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.  Our technological distinctiveness will be added to your own."

If you ask me the Windows are a sausage fest, what the Windows really needs is more sweeties with a rack like 7 of 9.  I would have programmed the installer to look for that.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

That's Satya Nadella in that getup! I Know it is!

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

Ya know.... this is what apple does on my ipod touch (and iphones, and ipads). And its even more annoying about it because my iPod Touch doesn't have space to waste for that popsnizzlety new iOS package it keeps downloading and trying to get me to install. Then it puts up this bright red "1" on my settings, and on my updates, and on my apps sub folder, alerting me to the 'new update'. Then it keeps popping up a notice every other week about the new iOS update to install. No checkboxes to say HELL NO, GO AWAY. And when I delete it off, it just redownloads it the next time I'm on network. VERY annoying.

So, yeah, M$ in their true fashion... are just doing what Apple does ;)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:08 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 29 December 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

Ya know.... this is what apple does on my ipod touch (and iphones, and ipads). And its even more annoying about it because my iPod Touch doesn't have space to waste for that popsnizzlety new iOS package it keeps downloading and trying to get me to install. Then it puts up this bright red "1" on my settings, and on my updates, and on my apps sub folder, alerting me to the 'new update'. Then it keeps popping up a notice every other week about the new iOS update to install. No checkboxes to say HELL NO, GO AWAY. And when I delete it off, it just redownloads it the next time I'm on network. VERY annoying.

So, yeah, M$ in their true fashion... are just doing what Apple does ;)

I had that 1 on my Settings on my old iPod Touch 5 from the moment iOS 7 became available until I upgraded to the iPod Touch 6 on release. Every time there was a new update, it'd download a few GB without authorization from Apple and then park the unused OS installer in my storage and eat it up. And seeing as I had it full, those unused copies of iOS 7 and iOS 8 were taking up about 10-15 CDs worth of music that I could have had on my iPod instead.

I just can't seem to find the same love for The New Apple of the past handful of years that I used to have.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:58 AM

I had wanted to put two movies on my pod for a flight to watch, and I usually keep enough space free for two movies. Then when I tried I was like where the hell did my space go?! Stupid new iOS package installer... thats where.

The reason I don't go to the new 8, is because it "REQUIRES" a different iTunes installed. And we all know an iDevice is almost useless without that iTunes app. But yeah, the new iTunes it wants won't run on 10.6.8. I just dont understand why they dont understand there are some people who have valid reasons NOT to install a new version of something. Especially when lately all those 'new somethings' have been getting worse and worse ;) lol

Not saying iOS 8 is worse, its just it forces me to go down a hellish road of uphauling my entire way of work and life on my mac. Something I am NOT prepared to do at this time.

Speaking of Windows 10 ... I'm not much of a fan of it. Windows 7 appears to handle everything I throw at it with ease and not any glitches yet that I've come across. Luckily 7 does not say "hay install 10 today!" every day I launch it hahaha.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

This thread IRL

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

If the Windows 10 update icon/prompt is annoying anyone you can uninstall it. See here: http://www.howtogeek...ification-tray/
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 30 December 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

If the Windows 10 update icon/prompt is annoying anyone you can uninstall it. See here: http://www.howtogeek...ification-tray/

GWX Control Panel is awesomesauce! Thanks very much. Problem solved. I feel so much better now!

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

I upgraded to 10 from the start as was my plan.  After enduring 33 years of marriage, I'm somewhat pussy whipped in that regard you see.  It's best to just get the nagging over.  You'll feel better, Microsoft will feel better.  It's win/win in a lose/lose sort of way.  At least it's over.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

I will probably install it later but I just didn't like them poking their noses into my computer until I was ready. I have some games to play which do not work with it.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17420 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

As long as your excuse involves games, you are absolved.  Go my son, go with my blessings.  ::makes the sign of The Game::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat