DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

So, while the Steam Store servers are slammed for the sale opening I am there too refreshing the page of my wish list to see what's up. A lot more updates have just popped there as of 1:42 EST.

However, there is some strange pricing afoot! For example, Avernum Crystal Souls is priced at 80% OFF! Yay!

But what is this? 80% off equates to a price of $8.99? How can this be? Oh, apparently the price recently was increased to $44.99 making it the most expensive Spiderweb Software game ever made as far as I know. I had missed that earlier.

I wonder what other sorts of shenanigans are going on over there at Steam. Hmm.

Wow. No discount on Total War: Warhammer?

Steam sucks. Worst sale ever!!!

Posted Image

Steam. Steam never changes.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me.

They have this bad habit of it showing the 'lowest price' you can get a game for (or something marked on the game page). So for that avernum game, the big "Spiderweb Software Complete Pack" package is less then the avernum game by itself. So steam chose that price to show you (even in search results) which is soooooo odd and misleading.

They had this issue with Grand Theft V, where it was showing the "in-game cash card" purchase price for the game's price in search/wishlist results... making it totally misleading.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 22 December 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

So, while the Steam Store servers are slammed for the sale opening I am there too refreshing the page of my wish list to see what's up. A lot more updates have just popped there as of 1:42 EST.

However, there is some strange pricing afoot! For example, Avernum Crystal Souls is priced at 80% OFF! Yay!

But what is this? 80% off equates to a price of $8.99? How can this be? Oh, apparently the price recently was increased to $44.99 making it the most expensive Spiderweb Software game ever made as far as I know. I had missed that earlier.

I wonder what other sorts of shenanigans are going on over there at Steam. Hmm.

Wow. No discount on Total War: Warhammer?

Steam sucks. Worst sale ever!!!

Steam. Steam never changes.

That's the developer engaging in price hijinks, not Valve. Unfortunately this one lies in Jeff's lap... looks like he jacked up the price of the game temporarily in order to have a "big sale."
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

Steam's search is showing the Complete Pack price for Avernum 2 for some reason (probably have a hobo like me managing the database). If you actually click into the product the Sale price is 50% off, 9.99. When you look directly at the title page the correct prices are indicated. The Spiderweb Complete pack is 8.99 which is a hella deal.
Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, $8.99 for all those Spiderweb games is pretty amazing value.

I didn't think the Crystal Souls thing was anything more than an error but it made me laugh so I made a little poke at it here. I figured they would fix that at some point not that I've bothered to look again.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

Thing is... even though this one was fairly 'legit' ... there HAVE (and continue) been games that jacked their prices up before one of the big steam sales, so they could show a higher % off, when all it was is a paltry 5% from usual. Lots of hate and threads around about all that nonsense.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester