#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

Has anyone else had, or have heard, of steam yanking access to a game you claimed a key on, months after you claimed it? (when the game is still active and sold on steam)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

I have never had it happen personally. I have read on reddit people have games revoked, typically when they bought steam codes from "suspect" online code selling sites.

My suspicion is some of these sites resell retail keys from lower priced physical markets (russia, etc..). When some sort of internal accounting process happens the out of band access is revoked. Complete speculation but I've only read of people getting games revoked when they bought a key from, what I would consider, less reputable sources (i.e. not someone like GreenManGaming, MGS, Direct2Drive, etc...)
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

Well, WinGameStore had its very first customer complaint on the subject. They had a purchase yanked from them... for a game where the keys are provided FROM the publisher directly. So, its just a whole baffling situation as I never heard of it before. I've heard of whole accounts being revoked ;) but not just a single game, months after you had installed it. Very odd.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

Not knowing how the steam key economy works I couldn't say. But I get the impression in those situations publishers get different sets of keys for different markets.

Not steam but when far cry 4 came out there was a big revocation deal that boned over some people.

http://forums.ubi.co...n-letter-Forums

This "Kinguin" bought keys on Origin, then sold them out of region and Ubi revoked the keys. Somehow this was considered fraudulent. I don't quite understand the economics of these key markets, and how/when publisher/developer/valve gets their buck.

Reddit has a big FAQ on the deal but I'm just a simple country bumpkin, I don't understand those city folkl's accounting schemes

https://www.reddit.c...y_mean_for_you/

This is my favorite quote from a developer/publisher

"We don’t know how exactly these sites obtain their Steam keys."

Maybe it's just the healthcare admin in me but cripes I can dig up a log for just about any digital transaction/handshake/poop here at the hospital. The idea that a legit steam key can get generated and then not be able to track back the transaction history is foreign to me.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 15 December 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Maybe it's just the healthcare admin in me but cripes I can dig up a log for just about any digital transaction/handshake/poop here at the hospital. The idea that a legit steam key can get generated and then not be able to track back the transaction history is foreign to me.

No kidding.

I wrote the whole MGS/WGS store system, and I can say its a huge mess out there. Steam keys come from 'wherever' sometimes. It gets even worse with Origin and Ubiplay keys. Gawd those guys ...

Steam REALLY needs an authorized seller API system that publishers can authorize other stores to use. It could use the IP of the customer to generate the RIGHT region key (when games follow that archaic BULL popsnizzle). Something using server-to-server auth, and then generates one key per request (sale). That way each key would be assuredly 'legit'.

Then also with that, steam needs a reverse API where if they generated a key for a store, that store can invalidate the key due to "customer refunded/returned/fraud". THEN steam can revoke the key from whoever claimed it illegally.

Oh well... I know the more and more 'corporate' a website/service gets, the popsnizzletier it gets. Have you ever noticed that?

-Fm [1oM7]

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:30 PM

I have never had any Steam or Origin key revoked myself. I did however have a game I bought on GOG get yanked right out off my shelf there within about 24 hours of purchasing it. They illegally I am guessing sold Imperial Glory in both Windows & Mac versions. The Mac version was the Feral release and at the time the moment I saw that I thought wow, that's cool and bought it right away. But no!

It got yanked without a word and when I contacted support asking where it went they apologized but gave no explanation and offered me a refund. How they managed to screw that up is beyond me but maybe it was not their fault. Perhaps the publisher of the Windows versions misinformed them or whatever. Who knows but then you have to wonder how did they get the game to make it available for download, etc.?

For the silly number of games I've collected since the dawn of the digital distribution age 1 out of more than I'll admit to isn't bad to lose I guess.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 15 December 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

I have never had any Steam or Origin key revoked myself. I did however have a game I bought on GOG get yanked right out off my shelf there within about 24 hours of purchasing it. They illegally I am guessing sold Imperial Glory in both Windows & Mac versions. The Mac version was the Feral release and at the time the moment I saw that I thought wow, that's cool and bought it right away. But no!

It got yanked without a word and when I contacted support asking where it went they apologized but gave no explanation and offered me a refund. How they managed to screw that up is beyond me but maybe it was not their fault. Perhaps the publisher of the Windows versions misinformed them or whatever. Who knows but then you have to wonder how did they get the game to make it available for download, etc.?

For the silly number of games I've collected since the dawn of the digital distribution age 1 out of more than I'll admit to isn't bad to lose I guess.

The person doing the product setup prolly hit the wrong checkbox. That happens on our end too sometimes during game setup, someone doesnt double check his work and hits the wrong things. It can happen. Admin tools are a blessing AND a curse at times, as they allow all manner of things to be edited and setup... BUT if you put a monkey at the wheel, then poo being flingith! Customers get caught in the crossfire of the sloppiness.

-Fm [1oM7]

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:32 AM

Don't sully the monkey's good name. I'm a good bit worse than your average monkey with above average access to dangerous admin tools.

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

I have the ultimate access... core level coding access, server level stuff, deep into the bowels of the databases with raw SQL statements.... I have to double check every bloody thing I do or Real Big popsnizzle™ can happen! Kind of stressful.

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

Soooo.... You could accidentally give all us IMG regulars access to all games? I mean, if an accident happened to occur by happenstance or the universe playing games?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

LOL!

That would be one heck of a complex run of unfortunate incidents that could make that happen ;)

Its not per say, like, one mass sql run amuck.

Although thinking about it... there is one thing that if someone goofed up on it, would grant a serious discount to all img pro lifetime members.... maybe I should adjust the code so that situation couldn't accidently happen! Thanks for spotting a potential issue!

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 16 December 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

The person doing the product setup prolly hit the wrong checkbox. That happens on our end too sometimes during game setup, someone doesnt double check his work and hits the wrong things. It can happen. Admin tools are a blessing AND a curse at times, as they allow all manner of things to be edited and setup... BUT if you put a monkey at the wheel, then poo being flingith! Customers get caught in the crossfire of the sloppiness.

Well in that case the game really was on the site and I knew at least one person who downloaded it before it was yanked.

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 16 December 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Well in that case the game really was on the site and I knew at least one person who downloaded it before it was yanked.

That IS interesting. I mean, its one thing to accidently say its for Mac, but not... its another to actually have a mac build and set it up for download and sell it! heh.

-Fm [1oM7]

#14 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:23 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 16 December 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

That IS interesting. I mean, its one thing to accidently say its for Mac, but not... its another to actually have a mac build and set it up for download and sell it! heh.

Yeah, particularly when it would seem nobody bothered to check how Feral felt about that considering they published it.