• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nemesis61185

Nemesis61185

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

Hi guys,

I am trying to find a game that I played on my old Macintosh  1990s Era. It was an early RPG, you start outside a cave, you click inside the cave then there is a Hall with 3 entrances the left entrance there would be a monster that you couldn't pass trough....

Any one know the name of the game?

If I remember correctly the name was HyperQuest but I cannot find anything on the internet about it.

Thanks and regards
Nemesis61185

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:55 AM

Shadowgate perhaps?

Posted Image

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

I think we need more clues. Point and click, or typed commands? Did your character roll stats? Hand-drawn graphics?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#4 Nemesis61185

Nemesis61185

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:54 AM

It is similar to Janichsan posted but there is no menus only the screen (pov you don't see the character), and black and white. There was no colored games back then.

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

If it was a HyperCard created game, it could be anything. There were a lot of games made with that framework back in the b&w days (heck, I even made three myself!). So it may be difficult to find it.

Do you know if it was a commercially distributed game, or one that was a download? Like, did it have a 'box'.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 Nemesis61185

Nemesis61185

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 13 December 2015 - 08:27 AM, said:

If it was a HyperCard created game, it could be anything. There were a lot of games made with that framework back in the b&w days (heck, I even made three myself!). So it may be difficult to find it.

Do you know if it was a commercially distributed game, or one that was a download? Like, did it have a 'box'.

No box, it was given to me in a floppy disk ;) and no indication that it was a commercial game on the Floppy Disk.

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:56 PM

I'm guessing you'd find it on some old MUG CD collection somewhere., but you'd need a way to open the hypercard stacks, and you'd have to go through each one, unless you happened to see a name you recognized.

Not liking our odds here.

If you are curious here are some old CD-ROM collections, archived for posterity:
https://archive.org/...dbbsarchive?and[]=subject%3A%22Macintosh%20software%22
Don't assume their filing system is super organized; I think I've found additional Mac collections in there by changing the search terms.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#8 Nemesis61185

Nemesis61185

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:05 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 15 December 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

I'm guessing you'd find it on some old MUG CD collection somewhere., but you'd need a way to open the hypercard stacks, and you'd have to go through each one, unless you happened to see a name you recognized.

Not liking our odds here.

If you are curious here are some old CD-ROM collections, archived for posterity:
https://archive.org/...dbbsarchive?and[]=subject%3A%22Macintosh%20software%22
Don't assume their filing system is super organized; I think I've found additional Mac collections in there by changing the search terms.

Hi thanks for the info started searching :)

PS: will the files be able to be opened on an Ipad?

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

View PostNemesis61185, on 16 December 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

PS: will the files be able to be opened on an Ipad?

Heh.

Nooooo I don't think anyone has built a Hypercard Stack emulator to run on an iPad (let alone get Apple to approve and post it on the app store). You would have better chances of such to exist on Android, but even then... its highly doubtful.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester