Jump to content


PS4 Remote Play Officially Coming to PC and Mac

sony playstation ps4 remote play yoshida

  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Location:NYC

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

PS4 Remote Play Officially Coming to PC and Mac


macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

That's pretty cool.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

I feel like Sony is going to patch this in like a month.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 Frost

Frost

    Secretary of Offense

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Location:Republic of Texas
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

I've been doing this for a year and a half via my Shield Portable with the Android version of the hack. The only times it's been broken is when Sony makes changes/refinements to RemotePlay, in which case Twisted always has it fixed within a few days. Otherwise, works really well.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:06 PM

How have you found the performance on your shield portable? Are most games playable as long as you are on your home network? Also, is your PS4 hardwired into your home network?

I'm interested in picking up the shield portable upon hearing that. I suppose it can also stream games from my PC.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 Frost

Frost

    Secretary of Offense

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Location:Republic of Texas
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 28 November 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

How have you found the performance on your shield portable? Are most games playable as long as you are on your home network? Also, is your PS4 hardwired into your home network?

I'm interested in picking up the shield portable upon hearing that. I suppose it can also stream games from my PC.
It's very, very good, and that's even usually using it from an Airport Express most of the time, meaning it's working with nowhere near its potential bandwidth. I have the place ethernetted with a Time Capsule in my home office, an AirPort Extreme amidships, and an AirPort Express in my bedroom. PS4 is in the office.

I used to use a PS Vita for RemotePlay, but the Shield with the hacked RemotePlay app running over 5 GHz instead of the Vita's 2.4 GHz in 720p instead of 544p results in both a better picture and noticeably less input lag than the Vita, not to mention being an order of magnitude nicer ergonomically. Generally, I wouldn't play competitive online FPS like that. There's still enough input lag that it'll throw you off for competitive shooters. But literally everything else is just fine, including fighting games like Mortal Kombat. I've done raids and nightfalls on Destiny with it with no problem, for example, and played coop Titanfall on the PC on it too.

As far as GameStream (NVIDIA's competing streaming technology) from PC, the only requirement is an NVIDIA graphics card with a Kepler or newer generation GPU. Includes Macs meeting that requirement that are running Bootcamp.

Right now I'd recommend against picking one up though, for two reasons: A) they're sold out and no longer being produced but still in demand, making gray market prices often at or above original retail, and B) NVIDIA's widely expected to be releasing a new version sometime in the next 3-6 months with a Tegra X1 rather than the old Tegra 4 the original has. Going by both rumors and FCC filings, it's already finished and was originally going to launch in October, but they're delaying it a bit for one reason or another, possibly to launch alongside a revamped Shield Tablet, which isn't expected to be ready till early next year.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

View PostFrost, on 28 November 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

It's very, very good, and that's even usually using it from an Airport Express most of the time, meaning it's working with nowhere near its potential bandwidth. I have the place ethernetted with a Time Capsule in my home office, an AirPort Extreme amidships, and an AirPort Express in my bedroom. PS4 is in the office.

I used to use a PS Vita for RemotePlay, but the Shield with the hacked RemotePlay app running over 5 GHz instead of the Vita's 2.4 GHz in 720p instead of 544p results in both a better picture and noticeably less input lag than the Vita, not to mention being an order of magnitude nicer ergonomically. Generally, I wouldn't play competitive online FPS like that. There's still enough input lag that it'll throw you off for competitive shooters. But literally everything else is just fine, including fighting games like Mortal Kombat. I've done raids and nightfalls on Destiny with it with no problem, for example, and played coop Titanfall on the PC on it too.

As far as GameStream (NVIDIA's competing streaming technology) from PC, the only requirement is an NVIDIA graphics card with a Kepler or newer generation GPU. Includes Macs meeting that requirement that are running Bootcamp.

Right now I'd recommend against picking one up though, for two reasons: A) they're sold out and no longer being produced but still in demand, making gray market prices often at or above original retail, and B) NVIDIA's widely expected to be releasing a new version sometime in the next 3-6 months with a Tegra X1 rather than the old Tegra 4 the original has. Going by both rumors and FCC filings, it's already finished and was originally going to launch in October, but they're delaying it a bit for one reason or another, possibly to launch alongside a revamped Shield Tablet, which isn't expected to be ready till early next year.

I'll keep my eyes open for the new one then. I'm considering picking up the Sheild TV instead of the new Apple TV for my living room television, but I want to play around with the interface and/or watch more video reviews of Android TV before I do that.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#8 Irishman

Irishman

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:21 AM

I don't understand what the point of doing this is?

It seems like you're taking a big-screen PS4 game and bouncing it over to your small-screen PC or Mac. I'm thinking an Airplay-equivalent.

What am I missing here??
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostIrishman, on 30 November 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

I don't understand what the point of doing this is?

It seems like you're taking a big-screen PS4 game and bouncing it over to your small-screen PC or Mac. I'm thinking an Airplay-equivalent.

What am I missing here??

It's because we can! What more reason do we need?

Seriously though, I can think of a couple scenarios where this functionality would be quite handy. For example, let's say you like having your PS4 or better still the ultimate console, the XBox One (hehe) connected to the best screen in the house in the living room. Sometimes that's the ideal experience but what if the wife or significant other or kids want to watch the television when you want to play? Who's gonna win there? Well, with this setup everybody wins. The family member or members get the video content they want and you stream the game content you want elsewhere. The console can still be used even if it isn't being displayed to the television streaming the content instead. I see this as one big reason for a lot of people to like this idea.

In a different scenario I myself have which is in a way similar, my flock of birds lives in the living room and out of consideration for them it's lights out at an early hour and then I close the door to the living room so they get their rest in peace and relative quiet. With a setup like this, I could start up a game like Skyrim or something before they went night nights and then go play in my bedroom/office space instead.

Those are just two related scenarios I can think of off the top of my head. I am sure there are probably others that are not occurring to me at the moment. It's true I could also just move the console back and forth from television to television but that is something of a pain in the rear vs just streaming content instead.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

Exactly what DirtyHarry said.

It gives you options on which screen you want to view your console on, without having to unplug the console and physically move it. If the wife/kids are using the main screen, well you can game away from your laptop/desktop in the other room.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#11 Frost

Frost

    Secretary of Offense

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Location:Republic of Texas
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 28 November 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

I'll keep my eyes open for the new one then. I'm considering picking up the Sheild TV instead of the new Apple TV for my living room television, but I want to play around with the interface and/or watch more video reviews of Android TV before I do that.

With that black Friday sale of $100 off I decided to get one to try for a couple months. I figure I can always sell it for at least what I bought it for.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how it does, though.

View PostSneaky Snake, on 30 November 2015 - 10:13 AM, said:

Exactly what DirtyHarry said.

It gives you options on which screen you want to view your console on, without having to unplug the console and physically move it. If the wife/kids are using the main screen, well you can game away from your laptop/desktop in the other room.

Right! In my previous residence the TV room was on the other side of the wall from my home office. In that scenario I just ran an HDMI cable through the wall, and presto, TV was connected to the PC/PS4.

Now, that's not feasible, and I have zero desire to unhook and move the PC/PS4 every time I want to play on the big screen. This is why I've become such a big Shield Portable devotee. I can play on both wherever I'm sitting, including away from the home if I have sufficient internet where I am, and I can also stream to the TV over ethernet by just plugging in the micro-HDMI and switching it to console mode.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sony, playstation, ps4, remote play, yoshida