Jump to content


Mac OS X gaming data


  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:59 AM

View PostAspyr-Blair, on 30 November 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

This is a lot of fun!  

However, you are missing a key data point...DLC's.  For example, we shipped 14 DLC's just for Borderlands 2 in 2012-13, each with their own dev cycle, approvals, testings cycles, etc...  More importantly, all were shipped along side the Windows versions :)

Same with CivV, BioShock infinite, Sims expansions...you get the point.  2012-14 were actually REALLY busy years for us.

You know at first I was thinking what is up with those slackers at Aspyr anyway? But then I remembered all the added content you mention and coming from a development background I can appreciate the cycle that happens for each DLC particularly when you are offering it for at least both Steam & MAS as a rule depending on the title. The other significant thing that came to mind is the nature of certain releases that involved a lot of ongoing work to keep synced up with Windows version updates for multiplayer on Steam. I know you guys have put a lot of effort into that also for some major titles.

So there's your one attaboy now get back to work and release some new game I must have!

By the way, I've been really happy about the classic releases Aspyr has done lately and bought each one. Great stuff. Speaking of classics, it was not long ago I finished both Jedi Outcast and then the first KOTOR. I just started Jedi Academy and of course I had to have KOTOR II. Thank you for that one big time. Got it on Steam, immediately installed the content mod via the Workshop feature and that's good to go once I save the galaxy again presumably in Jedi Academy. :)
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#22 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostMr Pink, on 01 December 2015 - 12:19 AM, said:

Age of Mythology was also ported by Westlake Interactive: http://www.insidemac...?ArticleID=8206

Fixed.

btw input is always welcome. I would gladly accept help in correcting/adding new information.

#23 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

    Special Snowflake

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2
  • Location:North Carolina, USA

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:17 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 01 December 2015 - 05:16 AM, said:

Fixed.

btw input is always welcome. I would gladly accept help in correcting/adding new information.

I wish those HD releases of AoE II, AoM & RoN had all had Mac versions but no!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#24 ozzy

ozzy

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 02 December 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

I wish those HD releases of AoE II, AoM & RoN had all had Mac versions but no!

I would kill for a new HD release of RoN...had so much fun playing that endlessly 10 years ago!

#25 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

Virtual Programming main table is up.

Link to Numbers spreadsheet in iCloud.

This one is messy.
  • Confusing overlaps with Runesoft and Freeverse.
  • A lot of low profile games I can hardly find reliable info about.
  • Proably tons of errors.
I am not going to spend more much time one this one since most of this stuff is hardly AAA games.

#26 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 06 December 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Virtual Programming main table is up.

Link to Numbers spreadsheet in iCloud.

This one is messy.
  • Confusing overlaps with Runesoft and Freeverse.
  • A lot of low profile games I can hardly find reliable info about.
  • Proably tons of errors.
I am not going to spend more much time one this one since most of this stuff is hardly AAA games.
I think the only game Freeverse ever ported was HoMM V. But they originally distributed UK based VP's games in the US.

Runesoft (originally e.p.i.c.) is a German porting company and distributor, who traditionally distributed VP's games in Germany, while VP distributed Runesoft's games in the UK - at least until digital distribution became a thing.

You also missed one port by VP: they re-ported The Witcher 1 when CPR realised their own Wineskin wrapped version was crap.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#27 Jan

Jan

    Legendary

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:43 AM

Freeverse mostly did original Mac games like Wingnuts 2 (a Mac exclusive!), Killing Monty or Burning Monkey Solitaire. Heroes of Might and Magic V started as a native port, but due to financial and development issues they finally used Cider to complete the project.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#28 Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr-Blair

    Aspyr

  • Developer
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostMichalM.Mac, on 30 November 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

It is kind of my oldschool point of view.


I hear ya...but its a part of everyday business now.  When done well, I love it.  When done poorly, I think it can kill a game.

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 01 December 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

You know at first I was thinking what is up with those slackers at Aspyr anyway? But then I remembered all the added content you mention and coming from a development background I can appreciate the cycle that happens for each DLC particularly when you are offering it for at least both Steam & MAS as a rule depending on the title. The other significant thing that came to mind is the nature of certain releases that involved a lot of ongoing work to keep synced up with Windows version updates for multiplayer on Steam. I know you guys have put a lot of effort into that also for some major titles.

So there's your one attaboy now get back to work and release some new game I must have!

By the way, I've been really happy about the classic releases Aspyr has done lately and bought each one. Great stuff. Speaking of classics, it was not long ago I finished both Jedi Outcast and then the first KOTOR. I just started Jedi Academy and of course I had to have KOTOR II. Thank you for that one big time. Got it on Steam, immediately installed the content mod via the Workshop feature and that's good to go once I save the galaxy again presumably in Jedi Academy. :)

Thanks for this!  It takes a TON of work to keep in sync with releases, and its been a keen focus of ours over the last couple of years.  You'll see more classics from us in 2016...actually let me restate that...you'll see some of THE classics from us in 2016 ;)  Gonna be a great year both in terms of old and new BIG content.

#29 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

View PostAspyr-Blair, on 09 December 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

you'll see some of THE classics from us in 2016 ;)
With emphasis on "classics from us" – as in "classics we already had released earlier but re-releasing them now on Steam/the MAS"* – or on "classics from us" – as in "classics that weren't available for Mac earlier at all"? ;)

(* There are a bunch I would like to see re-released, e.g. Battlefield 1942, the original Star Wars: Battlefront, more of the old Tomb Raider games, maybe ETQW…)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#30 Spike

Spike

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

Update of great classics would be great as long as they are not done like Homeworld - as in multiplayer removed.

The main game I miss is Diablo II, which is so much better than Diablo III. Hopefully Blizzard will be inspired by any classic updates.

#31 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostSpike, on 09 December 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

Update of great classics would be great as long as they are not done like Homeworld - as in multiplayer removed.
The Steam version has multiplayer.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#32 Jan

Jan

    Legendary

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

View PostAspyr-Blair, on 09 December 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:



I hear ya...but its a part of everyday business now.  When done well, I love it.  When done poorly, I think it can kill a game.



Thanks for this!  It takes a TON of work to keep in sync with releases, and its been a keen focus of ours over the last couple of years.  You'll see more classics from us in 2016...actually let me restate that...you'll see some of THE classics from us in 2016 ;)  Gonna be a great year both in terms of old and new BIG content.

Mass Effect Trilogy and Fallout 4 confirmed.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#33 Trautman

Trautman

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Location:Japan

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

Skyrim, Fallout 3 & New Vegas plz!

#34 Cougar

Cougar

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:24 PM

View PostSpike, on 09 December 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

Update of great classics would be great as long as they are not done like Homeworld - as in multiplayer removed.

The main game I miss is Diablo II, which is so much better than Diablo III. Hopefully Blizzard will be inspired by any classic updates.

There was a job posting at Blizzard to update D2/SC/WC3 for modern systems (PC/Mac), so it's coming at some point, apparently.

#35 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

Transgaming table added. I need bit of help with this one. If I remember correctly they were mostly middleware company ~ "here take Cider©™ and publish yourself".

This table should be list of all games ported with Cider.

Some of the games should be relocated because they are native ports (newer Ubisoft titles IMO). I marked them with red color.
There are some missing titles as well. (Star Trek Online and EVE Online).

#36 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

This is a tough one.
Here is the last archive of Transgaming's Cider Powered Games list.

AC2, AC: Brotherhood and Driver: SF were done natively by Ubisoft. But, why not keep them on this list.
I think the Brotherhood release date was later. It was announced for April 2011, but was finally released May 19th 2011.

#37 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

View PostMr Pink, on 11 December 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

AC2, AC: Brotherhood and Driver: SF were done natively by Ubisoft. But, why not keep them on this list.

Thanks!
I have another list with additional games (small devs/indies). I'll put them there.

#38 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

I can't find any confirmation that "Splinter Cell: Conviction" is actually a Cider port.

Transgaming's did one last port, before being acquired by NVIDIA.
'Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance' and it was published in September 2014.

#39 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

View PostMr Pink, on 11 December 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

I can't find any confirmation that "Splinter Cell: Conviction" is actually a Cider port.

I remember checking bundle contents after seeing it's tragic performance. I can download it in worst case.

View PostMr Pink, on 11 December 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

.
'Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance' and it was published in September 2014.

Forgot that one. Good game too much bosses.

#40 MichalM.Mac

MichalM.Mac

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Steam Name:michalmmac
  • Steam ID:michalmmac

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

What about Babel Rising? Is it Cider game?