10 replies to this topic

#1 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

Does anyone here have any solutions that would result in a 20ºF or more reduction in heat? I have heard of cooling pads that need to be refrigerated, but all I can find are "convenient" ones that do not need this. I supposed I could try freezing one of those before use if I cannot find anything else. I do not do too much gaming anymore, but if I could find a solution that would greatly reduce temps for ~30-45 minutes at a time, that would be great.

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

Is there a reason you are trying to do this? (For example: your machine is throttling down your CPU/GPU). That is a very significant temperature change that I doubt you are going to be able to achieve without doing some pretty invasive physical changes on your laptop (such as cutting a hole in the enclosure and attached a CPU cooler or something like that - I do NOT recommend doing that)
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 16 November 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

Is there a reason you are trying to do this? (For example: your machine is throttling down your CPU/GPU). That is a very significant temperature change that I doubt you are going to be able to achieve without doing some pretty invasive physical changes on your laptop (such as cutting a hole in the enclosure and attached a CPU cooler or something like that - I do NOT recommend doing that)

No, I don't mess with clockspeeds or anything, that is one way people ruin their computers. I do not want to cut holes in the enclosure either, I know you can do that, but it would make the computer look ugly.

After my heatgun and new thermal paste job, the computer runs much cooler in most cases. Once in awhile I like to edit my Neverwinter Nights 2 module, but a few sensors on the computer spike to ~205ºF. It is not a big deal since it is not life-imperative to edit Neverwinter Nights 2 modules, but I would like to find something to lower the temps if it is possible.

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:40 PM

Have you tried apps to tweak the fan speed, like smcFanControl?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 16 November 2015 - 04:40 PM, said:

Have you tried apps to tweak the fan speed, like smcFanControl?

Yes, iStat. It helps a bit, but it is still too high.

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

Have you tried using a thermal pad to see how much of a difference it makes?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#7 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

Why do you want to do this? I've never understood the obsession people have with CPU temperature. The computer will shut itself down in the rare event it gets too hot.

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

I used to use a 15" version of one of these when gaming on my old MacBook Pro in my pre-gaming PC days, as that thing would get HOT.

To my surprise it actually worked decently well, although obviously you faced diminishing returns once you'd been gaming long enough for the heat to liquify the crystals.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostCougar, on 16 November 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

Why do you want to do this? I've never understood the obsession people have with CPU temperature. The computer will shut itself down in the rare event it gets too hot.

This may come as a surprise, but legend has it that some computers (especially laptops) can get hot enough to cause damage to themselves despite such fail-safes supposed existence. I have already had to fix this laptop once due to heat-related issues, I do not want to have to do that again. Now, back to my attempts at sating my unhealthy obsession...

View PostFrost, on 16 November 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

I used to use a 15" version of one of these when gaming on my old MacBook Pro in my pre-gaming PC days, as that thing would get HOT.

To my surprise it actually worked decently well, although obviously you faced diminishing returns once you'd been gaming long enough for the heat to liquify the crystals.

Thanks for the input! I have heard of those working well for other Macbook Pros. Since I now have multiple sources saying they work well, I may try one. If it allows me to play the game for a half hour, that is plenty.

Do you remember how many degrees it changed the temperature? Also, how long did it take for the crystals to melt during use?

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:28 PM

View PostDiablofett, on 16 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

This may come as a surprise, but legend has it that some computers (especially laptops) can get hot enough to cause damage to themselves despite such fail-safes supposed existence. I have already had to fix this laptop once due to heat-related issues, I do not want to have to do that again. Now, back to my attempts at sating my unhealthy [i]obsession[/

Sorry, I meant no offense by calling you obsessed. :P There are people who do obsess over temperature numbers for no apparent reason.  But really, that shouldn't happen, and if it does it's likely due to a bad temperature sensor on the motherboard or something. What did you replace when you had to repair it? In any case, I understand why you are paranoid, there being no AppleCare on an old laptop.

#11 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:48 AM

View PostDiablofett, on 16 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Thanks for the input! I have heard of those working well for other Macbook Pros. Since I now have multiple sources saying they work well, I may try one. If it allows me to play the game for a half hour, that is plenty.

Do you remember how many degrees it changed the temperature? Also, how long did it take for the crystals to melt during use?
I never measured the temperatures, but I do remember it was at least enough to feel the difference when I'd pick it up and feel the bottom of my MBP (early 2008 model with an 8600M GT and 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo) versus when I'd previously just used it on my wooden desk with nothing else under it. It would definitely feel cooler.

The crystals generally took between 90 minutes and 3 hours to liquify to the point they weren't doing any good depending on how much heat it was putting out. The pad sheds heat pretty rapidly, so once it's stopped being heated they solidify pretty quickly. I never timed it, but I'd guess in about 20-30 minutes or so? Something like that.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.