Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 21 November 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 21 November 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

"FROG BLAST THE VENT CORE!!!!"
Sounds like a kinky activity for after hours. I'll have to ask the wife what she thinks about it.

Promise her you'll use only the finest Mississippi bullfrogs, the kind with the huge timpani ear membranes behind their eyes.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 November 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

Promise her you'll use only the finest Mississippi bullfrogs, the kind with the huge timpani ear membranes behind their eyes.

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#43 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 19 November 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

I wasn't attacking you.

I didn't take your post personally or as offensive anyway. My intention was to emphasize that the term "professional" or "pro user" can be used in different contexts. What's essential for your profession might not be as important for my day-to-day business and vice versa. :)
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#44 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:49 AM

I have some questions about what life is like with an iPad Pro that I am curious about. So I figured I would just necro this thread and ask them.

One of the big questions I have is how does one live with the 128 GB storage limit? I can see how apps and their data overall aren't any problem here for most. The things I wonder about though are how does one deal with say an iTunes library like my own which is approaching about 60 gigs currently with plenty wish listed there for more? There's half the space gone right there. What about a large Photos library? There's potentially a lot more space needed. Then there is home made videos or others one might want to save. How do you deal with that? I mean, on the Mac iCloud requires everything live locally that is also in the cloud. So it isn't like the cloud helps you with storage constraints at all unless something is different in the iOS world about how that works and I am unaware of it.

If this thing is supposed to be able to stand in for a desktop Mac, how's all that work? It doesn't seem to me like those are unusual home consumer needs for storage but maybe I am missing something here.

I guess you could use Apple Music and that solves the local music storage issue for a price. Even then, not everything available on iTunes can be streamed via Apple Music. For example, you cannot access any of the Beatles albums or "box" sets this way which is important to me. So those at least have to live locally I guess but then by themselves those exceptions are not all that large so I guess the music thing is doable, again for a price.

Photos I guess isn't maybe a big problem unless you have a ton of them. I don't myself yet but I imagine a lot of people do. I do not get how they could live with an iPad alone. I assume there are a decent number of quality iOS photo editing apps that even match up with OS X ones so I guess working with them is reasonably good if not in the same class as a desktop for professional work.

For me personally, GarageBand which I know it would have eats a LOT of space per project. Granted, you can ditch those once done so you do not really need to keep them around but still, having even just a few going is a LOT of space consumed. Then there is the whole issue of inputs with an iPad. How the heck can you connect a decent DAC, Microphone(s), Instrument inputs into an iPad. I have no clue but even the Mac seems like a pain in the rear here to me thanks to the removal of the separate single audio input it had. I've only messed with very basic recording for fun so far acclimating myself to it just using the built in hardware for some pretty poor results but still fun just for myself while learning. I wonder if it amounts to anything more than a toy on an iPad. I also wonder if you can even get LogicPro X for iOS. I'd be surprised if you could. I suppose that is pushing the envelope beyond the intended audience though in fairness.

So those are some use cases that I don't see as being terribly uncommon that at first glance the iPad seems woefully inadequate for, relegating it to being a rather expensive way to do web browsing, email, music streaming and misc other apps aplenty for information consumption probably much more often than document creation. Given that, it seems to me kinda hard to justify over a grand for an iPad Pro but then again, the Apple crowd as a whole tends to have the disposable income to throw at toys like this.

Am I missing something? I want to like the thing more but I don't know how it can replace even pretty basic uses still for many home users. Maybe many don't buy music anymore and just stream it. Maybe the average person does not have a big photo library to worry about. I can certainly see the average person never even opening GarageBand. For me though, even taking gaming out of the equation this does not seem anywhere near capable enough for me to be able to cut the desktop cord and move on yet.

Basically, the iPad Pro seems like a glorified iPhone 6s Plus that has no more storage than that iPhone can be outfitted with for less money in total and the iPhone can be a phone too. It also has the benefit of being far more mobile. You can't stick an iPad in your pocket and forget about until you want to use it or snap some photo or whatever. The only real difference I see is that one has a much bigger screen at the end of the day. Is it more powerful and faster? Well, so what really for what you do on one of them.

Somehow the biggest thing about this besides applications where the screen size is a factor, is the cool factor in my mind. Is it a cool toy? Yeah, I would not argue that at all. I do wonder though how many persons have one on top of a desktop and an iPhone purely for the cool toy factor or just have plenty of money to blow on reading their iBooks on a bigger screen vs getting a Kindle for under a hundred bucks.

My take so far is these things are very cool for some stuff but they wind up being an added expense/toy still because they can't cut the mustard for what I regard as still being pretty basic stuff. They are hamstrung more than anything by their storage limitations which iCloud does nothing to help with. This makes the iPad Air 2 seem like a more reasonable accessory kind of thing than a iPad Pro. I'm not sure who those are really for. I guess the people streaming music and not talking a lot of photos? By the way, how does a camera even connect to one of them or do they think you will run around taking pictures with an iPad all the time? I don't know why they even put a camera in those aside of the front facing one for FaceTime.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#45 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

iCloud Photo library stores the library in the cloud not locally. By default only optimized thumbnails are stored locally vs. photo stream which stores 1k pictures in the cloud but they still need to end up in a local library somewhere. I suppose Apple Music solves the same problem with music files.

The iPad Pro really seems like a device designed to supplant a Macbook in a situation where a user (professional perhaps) has been in the business of having a desktop, laptop, and iPad. Or maybe a laptop and an iPad. I could see people who used to carry both only carrying an iPad Pro in the field. FWIW our Apple rep has stopped carrying his MacBook day to day and only uses an iPad Pro in the field.

I could see an iPad pro supplanting my MBP. I'm a pretty intense user (prosumer?) I don't think I could ever get away from having a desktop at home (I tried once, didn't go very well). But I could easily see an iPad pro supplanting my MBP in the future. Really regular size iPad with a keyboard could supplant. I have an iPad 4th gen at home but the kids mostly use it/commander it so I don't have as much opportunity to take it in my man purse (which I had custom made with an iPad pouch) as I should. My wife's 2010 MacBook Pro has the dying hard drive cable issue and needs a new battery. I might just give her my sweet as hull 2012 MBP and get a new iPad just for dad (no kids allowed!) If only BL2 would be ported to iPad truly I would be living the dream.

The big sell for the iPad Pro to me really seems to supplant a MacBook in creative environments. People that previously were carrying around a pelican case of computer and accessories can really consolidate to this device.

Now I don't know you (only from afar, that was me you saw behind the dumpster at Dunkin) but you seem more like a desktop + mobile device kind of guy. I think that mobile device could easily be an iPad.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#46 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

I'm sure 128GB would be ample for most users in reality. I used to find the 64GB space on my iPhone an issue until I switched to iCloud Photo library and iTunes Match and I still only need the cheapest iCloud storage tier as lots of things are excluded from the calculation (apps etc.).

I can't see myself ever subscribing to Apple music  - although I do buy new stuff occasionally most of my favourite artists don't put new stuff out very often if at all and I'd normally rather listen to my own existing collection.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#47 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

You might have hit the nail on the head there with that last sentence. I posted elsewhere about my present confusion about what to do over the phone now that I am a free man. As I've considered why I might want the top end iPhone 6s Plus it has occurred to me that nearly everything that draws me to that expensive phone is actually available to me with an iPad aside of the phone and texting. As for liking the option of listening to tunes while taking a walk, the least expensive iPod would probably be fine. In reality, I don't really need anything more than that when I think about it. In fact, tossing that little doodad into a pocket for music on the go might be pretty cool. I often don't take my phone when I head out on foot because whatever it is, I don't want to know when I do that and if I break down, hopefully somebody will come along and call the ambulance for me. As far as photography and short videos goes, I haven't even owned a digital camera since my eldest daughter made of with my Nikon years ago now, never to be seen again, the Nikon that is. While it is cool having a camera built into the iPhone I do find it difficult to hold steady versus a camera body myself. I have a hard time sometimes getting a focused shot because of this, significantly more than any camera I've ever used and my hands are not as steady as they once were on top of it. I haven't the first idea of what something would cost for that but I should educate myself there too. There is always compromise in stuff that does it all, one way or another as a rule it seems.

So yeah, a pairing of say an iPad Air 2 and any cheap cell phone with ideally a cheap plan could work well for me. If I want a camera, I should probably just buy a real camera. As for the desktop down the road, I'm thinking it's gonna be a long time if ever before I could be happy without one of those around but the one around could be a smaller retina iMac with an Iris Pro in it and good enough for me. I'd get a lot of mileage out of that because gaming isn't a consideration aside of whatever it happens to permit that appeals to me. That still gives me the whole iMac experience I like for a lot less money. I've thought about a Mac Mini or even a MacBook Air but I don't know. I do like the iMac for doing Mac things. I like it a lot really, much more than any other computer I have ever owned. I like that it is all in one despite the trade-offs which largely cease to matter to me with gaming out the picture. In fact, they do matter one bit really to me. The MacBook Air for me becomes an entirely unnecessary trade-off (size, keyboard, etc.) for its mobility and high cost when an iPad comes into the picture around here. That gives me sit on the couch with my parrots thing while messing around on the web or whatnot and lets me have all the nifty iOS apps I like and it let's me give iOS gaming a real try but I'm not buying for that so it's cool if I wind up not loving that. I do think I will like some of it but you never really know until you live with something. I had the very first gen Kindle because it let me try out the whole tablet thing in a limited way that was very inexpensive and I liked the thing actually but ultimately it was too gimp to be satisfactory to me overall and they don't play well with the Apple ecosystem obviously.

As for my next desktop in a scenario where I go cheap phone and iPad I guess it comes down to Mac Mini vs low end iMac and I haven't even made any comparisons there as it's not a pressing thing currently. I'd enjoy the move up to a nice retina display though without waiting a long time for it. I would also dearly love to leave behind slow spinning hard drives forever and go SSD. If it were not for these things I'd want to milk my present 27" late-2013 iMac for all it's worth but I hate the slow disk and I want the nice display upgrade. I don't know but if I did something about this stuff sooner than later, maybe my iMac is still worth something that would help me in doing it. I might be smart also to go refurb with Apple on the desktop system and get AppleCare which I would anyway. Less money, same guaranteed 3 years. If nothing earth shattering has happened in three years, it'll probably go longer without anything catastrophic happening hopefully.

#48 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

View Postmattw, on 19 February 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

I'm sure 128GB would be ample for most users in reality. I used to find the 64GB space on my iPhone an issue until I switched to iCloud Photo library and iTunes Match and I still only need the cheapest iCloud storage tier as lots of things are excluded from the calculation (apps etc.).

I can't see myself ever subscribing to Apple music  - although I do buy new stuff occasionally most of my favourite artists don't put new stuff out very often if at all and I'd normally rather listen to my own existing collection.

For me Apple Music is appealing as a convenient way to listen to whatever I want to while I gradually upgrade my existing library and fill it out with what old music I am still missing. I rarely care about anything new and could just buy it if I did. So I see Apple Music as something nice until I hit that point or get close to it. This morning though I was thinking about it and what does that really mean in dollars? I have a very big wish list and on top of that I know I have a lot of stuff I want to upgrade. I do not trust iTunes Match for this. So, it dawned on me that at this point in my life as I am not getting any younger, I should come up with a guess about how much money am I looking at really to own everything I want that is already available for streaming which is most of it. Then, take that sum and do a little simple math to determine how many years of Apple Music subscription that comes to keeping in mind how much longer I hope to live. It's only $120 a year for almost full iTunes access. That is less than a dozen albums as a rule after taxes are taken into consideration. I am going to be 57 in less than a month now. I hope I make it well into my 70s or better but one never knows. So just for fun, let's figure the cost to age 70 for me which is 13 years. Wow. That's scary. Moving on...

13 x 120 = 1,560.

So, I could buy 156 albums I want roughly for that amount of money, although some of the box sets I want come to over 560 easily enough so I'm under a grand left for everything else at that point which means about a 100 albums along with said box sets. Without even purchasing anything I want  from the wish list, this is used up just bring the best of what I already have up to date. So I might as well toss the wish list out at this point and that's that so far as the money goes.

Or, I can listen to any of it anytime I like without bothering to collect anything or backup anything or do anything. It's just there, all of it with only a few exceptions I can think of for now anyway, most notably all of the Beatles recordings. I don't know what the problem is there because Amazon is streaming them. I found that out during my little Prime trial I am still on. I haven't heard Abbey Road sound so good since I had it on vinyl which is still probably better but not an option. A little off-topic but I think that Abbey Road was one of the very lovely high quality Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs pressings. Oh, those were nice.

I'm glad I did this thinking out loud right here just now rather than later. I hope nobody minds yet more rambling from me. I've been on a real roll lately.

It seems to me I should start up Apple Music again right away and forget about buying music on iTunes with a few special exceptions and only because Apple is holding out on us for some reason. What for? So I can own digital bits and have to worry about where I put them and stuff? Just to be conservative, I might like to back up my iTunes library and then clear it out completely so I can just download stuff I care about from Apple Music which resolves the crappy UI issues pretty nicely once the stuff I want is local. I'm fine with the iTunes UI for local access.

You learn something new every day. Why I didn't bother to think about this for a few minutes before now is beyond me. Am I missing something here do you think? I does not seem like it to me.

This is morbid but I just laughed out loud to myself at this thought. You know, if I die unexpectedly and not at all according to plan here, I'll save even more money not that it will matter I guess but I like to try to put a positive spin on things whenever i can.

#49 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

I used to care more about "having physical media" but meh. Now I am older and need space not disks I ripped and never used. Kind of care less about all my old NES carts than I used to too. It's hard to get digital versions of old macs so I don't see me giving up on that collection anytime soon. I don't have cable/dish just netflix so I figure I got a little extra dispensable income to spread around. I currently use spotify but maybe when the kids are older I'll switch to Apple Music for the 15 dollar family plan. Right now Apple music seems to have a little less available than Spotify for my "eclectic tastes".

Video Game related music, I'm talking about video game related music.

#50 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

I tossed cable too with profane proclamations and all. Glad to be rid of it/them. I'm very happy with my Apple TV and access Netflix with it for now. I did trials of both HBO Now and Showtime and plan to add them soon. I must watch all of Game of Thones for one thing. I must see all of The Sopranos for another. I like John Oliver very much as well. HBO Now is a no-brainer for me but I've been occupied with Netflix for the time being. Finally watched watched Gladiator the other day. Wow. Loved it. So much goodness on Netflix. It's amazing. I'm gonna do the free trial of Hulu just offered on Apple TV for 30 days just to check it out but it probably won't be anything I keep. I might be wrong so I'll see but the previous three mentions is a crazy amount of content for me as it is. The only thing I miss really is access to live local news. I was willing to shell out six bucks a month to CBS for this and then my favorite station with the best weatherman ever went NBC. The bums at NBC are hanging on to cable and you can't stream them unless you have them on cable to which I say, well I won't say that here but you can imagine it I guess.

Now, if Apple could work a deal to stream all the movies and shows available on iTunes. That would be cool. One thing I dislike about Netflix is the rotating in and out of available content. I like to keep a list saved with them of stuff I mean to watch but too many times before i get to something it's gone and then sometimes later on it comes back, etc. I've never noticed but I meant to ask them if I mark something on my list and it goes out of availability for a while, does it automagically return to my list when it comes back around again? If so, that wouldn't bother me at all with so much to choose from anyway. Otherwise though, sometimes it feels like a waste of time to mark anything more than a few movies, documentaries or whatnot. TV Series are okay. I've yet to see one I cared about disappear but maybe even they do sometimes. I don't know.

#51 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

As far as music goes, the above little exercise just settled that for me. Apple Music it's gonna be. Just for fun, I took a look at my big but by no means complete wish list. I had no idea it came to as much money as it does and there is sale running now that affects a good number of the titles besides. Wow. The cost of that is more than enough to keep me streaming for the rest of my life and then some, a lot some.

I don't know why I didn't look at this sooner than now. I guess I was just content with the idea of collecting the stuff I really like and then I figured I'd be all set and that would be that. I liked the idea of owning the stuff but now I realize, what for? What's the benefit of that to me really? I can't take it with me when I go and I can't even pass it on as things stand today so what for?

#52 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

Even then, not everything available on iTunes can be streamed via Apple Music. For example, you cannot access any of the Beatles albums or "box" sets this way which is important to me.

This is not quite true. Most Beatles albums were added to streaming recently (and not just to iTunes.) But even before that, for music you already own you can turn on cloud library and get access to the tracks from other machines logged into Apple Music. Apple tries to pair your tracks with ones in its streaming library (so it doesn't have to pay storage or royalties.) But if it can't match your track to something Apple can already legally stream, it will upload your physical track to the cloud. So I was listening to my Beatles albms long before they added the catalog to Apple Music.

Many complaints about Apple Music have to do with how they aggressively match tracks to their catalog. It is frustrating when it doesn't work, but for albums ripped from commercial CDs you will have very few problems. Bootlegs, radio recordings, rare tracks, ripped LPs are problematic. (Also: once your collection is in their cloud DO NOT think you can delete the tracks off the main computer and download them later from the cloud. The cloud tracks have DRM, and like I said are sometimes just plain wrong. But your original music library is completely intact if you don't do anything stupid to it.)

So yeah, a pairing of say an iPad Air 2 and any cheap cell phone with ideally a cheap plan could work well for me.

FYI T-Mobile has an obscure offer where if you buy a SIMM from them for your iPad, you can get 200 Meg free data per month from them. This is all I need to view the occasional map, use Find My iPad, and other tasks. Most times I'm on wifi of course. In a pinch I can buy additional data from T-Mobile (the reason they give away the free taste of course) but I've never needed it so far, even on vacation.

My iPad was originally Verizon, but if you didn't buy any data from them for more than 5-6 months they would deactivate the SIMM and you'd have to get a new one. I think they've increased that to 12 months now but it's still a terrible idea if you only want to use data for emergencies.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#53 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 19 February 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

Finally watched watched Gladiator the other day. Wow. Loved it.

I gave you beans for liking Gladiator. Awesome movie. The soundtrack is a keeper, for those of you that dig that.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#54 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 19 February 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

This is not quite true. Most Beatles albums were added to streaming recently (and not just to iTunes.) But even before that, for music you already own you can turn on cloud library and get access to the tracks from other machines logged into Apple Music. Apple tries to pair your tracks with ones in its streaming library (so it doesn't have to pay storage or royalties.) But if it can't match your track to something Apple can already legally stream, it will upload your physical track to the cloud. So I was listening to my Beatles albms long before they added the catalog to Apple Music.

Many complaints about Apple Music have to do with how they aggressively match tracks to their catalog. It is frustrating when it doesn't work, but for albums ripped from commercial CDs you will have very few problems. Bootlegs, radio recordings, rare tracks, ripped LPs are problematic. (Also: once your collection is in their cloud DO NOT think you can delete the tracks off the main computer and download them later from the cloud. The cloud tracks have DRM, and like I said are sometimes just plain wrong. But your original music library is completely intact if you don't do anything stupid to it.)

FYI T-Mobile has an obscure offer where if you buy a SIMM from them for your iPad, you can get 200 Meg free data per month from them. This is all I need to view the occasional map, use Find My iPad, and other tasks. Most times I'm on wifi of course. In a pinch I can buy additional data from T-Mobile (the reason they give away the free taste of course) but I've never needed it so far, even on vacation.

My iPad was originally Verizon, but if you didn't buy any data from them for more than 5-6 months they would deactivate the SIMM and you'd have to get a new one. I think they've increased that to 12 months now but it's still a terrible idea if you only want to use data for emergencies.

That's very nice to hear about the Beatles albums becoming available for streaming. At the initial roll out of Apple Music which was when I did the free three month trial, that was not the case.

I am a little confused about how Apple Music works vs iTunes Match works when it comes to content you already own locally which was not purchased from iTunes which would be most of my music. I do have a significant number of recordings that are highly valuable to me and are in some cases irreplaceable. However, my entire iTunes library is redundantly backed up including off site. So I could screw up my library and fully recover not that I ever want to have to bother. I need to go read about that again before pulling the trigger so I understand what I am doing. During the trial, I would not let them touch my library. I remember choosing some option that resulted in streaming only and no messing with my library at all. This is not terribly convenient though I found because then I cannot after selecting albums I like easily find them in my iTunes library. I have to find them in Apple Music which remembers nothing (unless that too has changed) so I have to go and search for it whereas in my library I can browse the stuff I like and nothing but the stuff I like. Anyway, I will check that out and maybe this time I'll let them have at it because with the backups I have I am immune to either them or I screwing up my library.

If I allow Apple Music to do matching vs my library does that mean that similarly to iTunes Match existing content at lousy bitrates can be updated with better quality tracks? I thought you needed iTunes Match. This is where I am confused but I do need to go read up as I mentioned to understand exactly how it works.

That's cool about T-Mobile. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll check into that when the time comes. Today I called to find out what my Internet provider would charge me to add a landline phone. It's only 10 bucks a month for unlimited nationwide calling and the usual voicemail, caller ID, etc. That is all I need. In one year's time the savings are roughly the cost of an iPad Air 2. That works for me.

Can someone using an iPhone with Messages still send messages to Messages on my iMac with no cellphone here anymore? I realize SMS is out. I wasn't sure if Apple Messages still works or not though. Everyone in the family has iPhones so it would be cool if they must text me that it was still possible. Otherwise, they will have to rely on email or heaven forbid ringing my telephone and talking to me. :P

#55 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:31 AM

If I allow Apple Music to do matching vs my library does that mean that similarly to iTunes Match existing content at lousy bitrates can be updated with better quality tracks? I thought you needed iTunes Match.

You are right. iTunes Match upgrades your library and gives you cloud storage of your existing collection. DRM-free access everywhere to your own music. You could in theory blow away your original library and use Apple's cloud as your music library. (I don't recommend that, myself.)

Apple Music gives you streaming rights to Apple's streaming catalog; obviously those tracks have DRM. It uses the same mechanism to stream you your own library, so your tracks will also have DRM everywhere except in the original library. If you stop paying for Apple Music, you are back to your original library.

Other notes:
  • iTunes Match doesn't make mistakes AFAIK when matching tracks to Apple's catalog; you are paying for an exact copy of your music in the cloud. Apple Music uses a heuristic and makes mistakes.
  • Just to confuse things, there was a nasty bug early on that caused Apple Music to apply DRM to the original library. You may still run into pockets of the internet that think this is how Apple Music was supposed to work, or still works.

#56 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:33 AM

I stopped being so lazy and went to read up on how Apple Music does things related to my library, etc. and found a great support page that explains everything I wanted to know on one page. I was not aware that it does do just what I want, allowing me to add anything I like to my library to easily find anytime later, etc. So, that's great. I see the matching there basically makes stuff Apple Music doesn't know about on my local library available to other devices by uploading it so everything I own and the rest of iTunes via Apple Music is everywhere. Awesome.

#57 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:57 AM

Try to keep in mind how awesome it is in general, when you get annoyed by the many quirks. It's a great service, but it has some rough edges.

I see the matching there basically makes stuff Apple Music doesn't know about on my local library available to other devices by uploading it so everything I own and the rest of iTunes via Apple Music is everywhere.

The matching is the tricky part, as I've said before. It's almost better if it doesn't match, because then your track gets uploaded as-is. Most of the complaints stem from when Apple mistakenly matches a rare live track with some inferior studio track. (Possible by an unrelated band.) This was a rare problem for me, but when it happens its like a scab I can't stop picking at.

Money-saving tip: Apple Music charges any credit on your iTunes account before charging your credit card. Every now and then someone puts iTunes gift cards on sale, sometimes $10 or $20 discount off a $100 gift card. Instant Apple Music discount!

I set up an alert for iTunes gift cards on dealnews.com, so I get an email when a deal comes along.

#58 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 22 February 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

I stopped being so lazy and went to read up on how Apple Music does things related to my library, etc. and found a great support page that explains everything I wanted to know on one page. I was not aware that it does do just what I want, allowing me to add anything I like to my library to easily find anytime later, etc. So, that's great. I see the matching there basically makes stuff Apple Music doesn't know about on my local library available to other devices by uploading it so everything I own and the rest of iTunes via Apple Music is everywhere. Awesome.

You basically get iTunes Match for free with Apple Music (with a few caveats you're already aware of).

I haven't opened iTunes in months. I'm thinking of just archiving my library, deleting it, and seeing how much I don't miss it.