• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

http://www.macgamestore.com/polls/

Also, discuss!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1365 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

I almost wish it wasn't as fast as it is. I don't want Apple getting any ideas. Although I'm sure they already have them.

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

No doubt... "the end of Macs" ??? Scary thought huh.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

Bad Apple, BAD!  Look at that look on Apple's face, it knows it's doing a bad thing.  No Macs... BAD!!  I'm taking a rolled up newspaper to the next board meeting.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:06 PM

Although I don't yet have my own iPad I've certainly wanted one for a while, especially when I use other folks ones from time to time.

My Mac is far more essential my my uses and then my iPhone 5 (which will need an update eventually but I like the smaller size) so it would still be a luxury and other things keep coming up that divert what could have potentially been iPad funds.

When the pro was announced I thought it would be too big but having seen one today I was really impressed. It seemed fine to hold and given  the performance I think rather than the Air 2 I would go with this if I decided on a full size tablet - the mini fits other uses so I may yet go that way.

The only downsides I see are the cost, not only the iPad itself but accessories and software looks to command a premium.

From a gaming point of view I found touch screens better suited to casual games - stuff I'd play on my Mac with a mouse and keyboard sucks with on screen controls. So despite the popularity and picking up many titles with sales and free app of the week I rarely game on iOS.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

View PostCougar, on 13 November 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

I almost wish it wasn't as fast as it is. I don't want Apple getting any ideas. Although I'm sure they already have them.
They have:

"I think if you're looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?" [...]

"Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people. They will start using it and conclude they no longer need to use anything else, other than their phones."
:glare:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

1) Pixel perfect control.
2) Ability to manipulate pixels in a pixel perfect setting.
3) Typing things fast and efficient.
4) Working with dozens of open documents fast and efficiently.
5) Multiple ways of getting work done that does not involve just one fat finger mashing a screen.
6) Games... real games, not that kindergarten crap that plagues mobile devices.
7) Actual drives of data you can manage and manipulate on your own terms, and shuffle that data from any other computer or device on your own terms.
8) Why am I still typing a list of why I would want a real computer over a glorified kids tool?

-Fm [1oM7]

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1365 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:26 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 November 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

I meant sticking ARM in a MacBook, but yeah. Tim would love it if we all switched to iPads.

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:17 AM

Why wouldnt you mind them sticking an ARM chip in a Mac? The iPad Pro blows low end Intel chips out of the water and battle with their current mid range chips, so you would just gain speed and save on electricity.

If I was Intel, I would be pretty fraking scared by now.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:25 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 13 November 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Errr, that's kind of out of context. Context was him talking about a normal family or something considering their next computer purchase. The iPad certainly meets the needs of the majority of users out there in the world.

Desktop and notebook computers aren't going anywhere. Tablets are just going to start becoming the mainstream computing device. Desktop/Laptops will essentially be the pickup trucks of the computing world - still very popular, but seen as the larger, more powerful, productivity focused option. Tablets will be the economy car of the computer world.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:13 AM

You know, on Thains note:

That would be a nice thing to start seeing... newer MacBook Pros with insane slim designs and low-heat-more-power output. Something to topple the leader is always good for the industry (the leader being Intel right now). AMD has long fallen short and is no longer even a contender unless you want something very cheap and moderately 'adequate'. But Intel has reigned for awhile now (who would think us Mac users would be all ooing/aaaing over INTEL?!). Maybe it is time something comes along and puts them into a panic?

Stagnation comes from not feeling like you HAVE to improve. Competition creates progress.

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 14 November 2015 - 01:25 AM, said:

Errr, that's kind of out of context. Context was him talking about a normal family or something considering their next computer purchase. The iPad certainly meets the needs of the majority of users out there in the world.
...which means they expect to sell far less Macs, which makes it less worthwhile to maintain such a broad range of models. I agree that desktop computers and notebooks won't go away completely, but if their expectations become reality, it could mean that they axe some model lines completely – especially those aimed at the "average" user –, and that the remaining models get longer product cycles.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 14 November 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

...which means they expect to sell far less Macs, which makes it less worthwhile to maintain such a broad range of models. I agree that desktop computers and notebooks won't go away completely, but if their expectations become reality, it could mean that they axe some model lines completely – especially those aimed at the "average" user –, and that the remaining models get longer product cycles.

Yes, but it also means he wasn't saying "why would anyone ever want a computer - buy an iPad". Apple understands there's going to be that power-user need for a computer.

Maybe when iPads make up most of the casual market, computers will get more powerful specs by default. (a man can dream)
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#14 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 14 November 2015 - 09:41 AM, said:

Yes, but it also means he wasn't saying "why would anyone ever want a computer - buy an iPad". Apple understands there's going to be that power-user need for a computer.

Maybe when iPads make up most of the casual market, computers will get more powerful specs by default. (a man can dream)

It would be nice but I kind of doubt it as the R&D is mainly going into the mobile devices, the desktop benefited from the need for workstation and server hardware improvements. Contrast the recent history of the ARM based chips in iOS devices to the Xeon....
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 14 November 2015 - 09:41 AM, said:

Apple understands there's going to be that power-user need for a computer.
When looking at the product cycle of the nMP and the recent (15") rMBP upgrades, I can't really help but thinking that Apple is not really all too keen on supporting power-users…

#16 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6089 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

It seems awesome, although to be perfectly honest, after spending a year and a half on the iPad mini hype train I realized that for my uses, the iPad, even the mini, was too big to be readily portable unless I wanted to make cargo pants my attire 100% of the time, but too small and limited to challenge a proper laptop for actual productivity. Also, the more I used it for writing e-mails and whatnot, the more I got completely sick of typing on a touch screen.

Ended up changing from a 2008 MacBook Pro and iPad mini 2 to a 2012 MacBook Pro and this is serving me far, far better than my previous setup ever did, and I don't think more power or more screen real estate would have changed that. The only thing I miss is just casually sitting in a chair and reading an article or browsing a (this) forum on it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#17 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1365 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 14 November 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

Why wouldnt you mind them sticking an ARM chip in a Mac? The iPad Pro blows low end Intel chips out of the water and battle with their current mid range chips, so you would just gain speed and save on electricity.

...and none of my games would run, and I wouldn't be able to boot into windows. PPC days were painful, man. Don't want to return to them.

If I didn't game, then sure, it'd be great.

#18 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 13 November 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

1) Pixel perfect control.
2) Ability to manipulate pixels in a pixel perfect setting.

I'm not even sure what you mean here.

3) Typing things fast and efficient.

You mean on the full size keyboard cover that is getting rave reviews as being better than their laptop keyboards?

4) Working with dozens of open documents fast and efficiently.

No argument here.

5) Multiple ways of getting work done that does not involve just one fat finger mashing a screen.

Like.. a very accurate pen (being hailed as one of the best in the market) or keyboard shortcuts and swipe motions that can be made on the keyboard?

6) Games... real games, not that kindergarten crap that plagues mobile devices.

This is arbitrary and meaningless.  I can get Baldur's Gate games on my iPad.  Are those "real games" to you?

7) Actual drives of data you can manage and manipulate on your own terms, and shuffle that data from any other computer or device on your own terms.

When you're right, you're right...

8) Why am I still typing a list of why I would want a real computer over a glorified kids tool?

I dunno.  It's not a glorified kids tool.  Its getting rave reviews from creative professionals, and daily-driver users.  I mean, i guess 2 out of 8 aint bad.

#19 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 14 November 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

If I was Intel, I would be pretty fraking scared by now.

Ehh... not so much, really.  Those are all synthetic benches and the real-world testing is showing that they are still good, but not nearly blowing Intel out of the water at the low end.  

theyre doing good, for sure, but ARM is a long way off from being able to compete with even full power laptop chips, at least with current designs (I'm sure ARM could have a more full-power design if they wanted).

#20 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:54 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 16 November 2015 - 10:02 PM, said:

Ehh... not so much, really.  Those are all synthetic benches and the real-world testing is showing that they are still good, but not nearly blowing Intel out of the water at the low end.  
For sure, for sure, but it still gives a good point at where they are comparable. Ars Technicas review shows that the iPad Pro outperforms the low end Macbook by a good margin in those synthetic tests.

theyre doing good, for sure, but ARM is a long way off from being able to compete with even full power laptop chips, at least with current designs (I'm sure ARM could have a more full-power design if they wanted).
Full power yes, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple try and go for mid-end ARM chips in the near future. As it is now, I don't really see a reason not to go A10X in the Macbook.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter