Jump to content


SSD vs HDD and heat?


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Diablofett

Diablofett

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Hyrule

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

So I fixed my Macbook Pro 2011 17'' with a heatgun today. Long-story-short, I had the GPU issue and I fixed it.

Everything is running 20ºf-50ºf cooler now, both active and idle temperatures. I was not expecting such a massive improvement, but apparently that past was really bad for the already restricted airflow in there. I am considering the purchase of an SSD to perhaps lower the temps even more, but it seems like it may not be worth it. Samsung's SSDs apparently use more wattage than my HGST HDD.

So my question to you laptop users out there, have SSDs ever resulted in lower temperatures for you?

#2 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

SSD's don't heat up as far as I know, but I highly doubt it will make any difference at all in your temps. The SSD is pretty much as far from the CPU/GPU you can get in the 2011 macbook pro case. Might make like a 1C difference at best.

Buy an SSD cuz they are fraking fast, not cuz of the temps.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#3 Diablofett

Diablofett

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Hyrule

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 11 November 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

SSD's don't heat up as far as I know, but I highly doubt it will make any difference at all in your temps. The SSD is pretty much as far from the CPU/GPU you can get in the 2011 macbook pro case. Might make like a 1C difference at best.

Buy an SSD cuz they are fraking fast, not cuz of the temps.

Yes, I know it is pretty far, I just took the computer apart yesterday. The new thermal paste has helped the HDD lower its temperatures, despite being unrelated and far away. My HDD used to average ~100ºF when idle. It now ranges from 65ºF-85ºF. It does not even reach 100ºF anymore when under heavy read/write loads. Since there seems to be no clear information on this, and the fact I cannot find a 1TB SSD with lower wattage specs than my HDD, I will probably stick with the HDD. If it is not broken (again), don't fix it. Right?

Thanks for the input!

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

Wait, what?

Thermal paste on your HDD ???

Could you explain that a bit more further please...

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#5 Diablofett

Diablofett

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Hyrule

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 12 November 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

Wait, what?

Thermal paste on your HDD ???

Could you explain that a bit more further please...

View PostDiablofett, on 12 November 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

The new thermal paste has helped the HDD lower its temperatures, despite being unrelated and far away.

So to further clarify, no, there is no thermal paste on the HDD. But it does appear to have helped lower the temperature of the HDD, as stated above.

#6 macdude22

macdude22

    Like, totally awesome.

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Location:Iowa
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

The thermal grease apple uses is ehhhhh, not the greatest. I've had to regrease a few 2011-2012 heat sinks in my day just because diagnostics said they were out of spec.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

I see... somehow I misread that last bit, or didn't see it or something. Either way, yeah, props for clearing that and re-doing it. Factory paste is always bad, on everything!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17432 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostDiablofett, on 12 November 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

So to further clarify, no, there is no thermal paste on the HDD.

Wait.  What?  ... oh... nothing, never mind.  Er... How about those darn old HDDs anyway?

::cough cough::

::quietly and frantically starts removing thermal paste::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Diablofett

Diablofett

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Hyrule

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 November 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

The thermal grease apple uses is ehhhhh, not the greatest. I've had to regrease a few 2011-2012 heat sinks in my day just because diagnostics said they were out of spec.

Their paste job was so bad on my computer. There was so much paste on the AMD chip that it was hanging off the chip edge a bit. I am amazed my logic board did not fry something due to such a sloppy job. Had I realized it sooner, I would have taken care of it before it became a problem.

#10 macdude22

macdude22

    Like, totally awesome.

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Location:Iowa
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

View PostDiablofett, on 12 November 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

Their paste job was so bad on my computer. There was so much paste on the AMD chip that it was hanging off the chip edge a bit. I am amazed my logic board did not fry something due to such a sloppy job. Had I realized it sooner, I would have taken care of it before it became a problem.

Do you have like a 2011? I just did a logic board replacement on a 2011 today and gal damn they really smeared that AMD chip thick. it was freaking all over the chip.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#11 macdude22

macdude22

    Like, totally awesome.

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Location:Iowa
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

Man I should read better. "So I fixed my Macbook Pro 2011"

I just saw AMD and grease up the wazoo and thought man that was my day to a T.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#12 Frost

Frost

    Secretary of Offense

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Location:Republic of Texas
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

It depends on the SSD, but I would say most modern SSDs should run quite cool. Definitely cooler than a hard drive. 2.5" laptop drives tend to get pretty hot. 2.5" SSHDs get even hotter. From my experience:
  • The 512GB OEM Samsung of unknown model that came with my 2012 MacBook Pro ran pretty cool except under heavy writes.
  • The 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro I used to have in my PowerBook often got HOT. Like HDD hot, or hotter. The 2.5" caddy-mounted mSATA M550 that replaced it is much better behaved thermally.
  • The 1TB M600 I previously had in my MacBook Pro ran exceptionally cool under pretty much all circumstances. It took a whole drive write to even make it warm. Pretty much the same story for the 256GB M600 I have in my PS4.
  • The 480GB Intel 730s in my Tiki get moderately warm under heavy use but otherwise stay relatively cool. Pretty similar to the M600s at idle, although they get warm faster and more readily, likely due to the fact that Intel overclocks them for performance as they're meant for high performance desktop use, not laptop use and they'll pull a lot of juice when you're pushing them.
  • The 2TB Samsung 850 Pro currently in my MacBook Pro is pretty similar to the Samsung that was originally in my MacBook Pro. It'll get warm if I'm dumping 100GB of stuff on it, but the vast majority of time it's ice cold. Samsung wasn't lying about 3D V-NAND running cooler than standard NAND; it definitely does. Right now, for example, it's just been idling for the last few minutes and my MBP's aluminum around the area of the SSD is completely cold.

View Postmacdude22, on 12 November 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

The thermal grease apple uses is ehhhhh, not the greatest. I've had to regrease a few 2011-2012 heat sinks in my day just because diagnostics said they were out of spec.
Yeah, I was kind of baffled by the job Apple did on my G5 and my PowerBook the first time I serviced them many moons ago. The PowerBook had some green gum popsnizzle that probably did more harm than good. The hardware thermometers are not user- or even technician-facing like later Mac laptops, but if the fans were any indication, replacing that junk with a dollop of MX-4 did a world of good.

They did a better job on my G5, but not by a whole lot. One CPU had too little, one had too much. Cleaned the G5s up and made a fresh application, and did the same for the QuadroFX 4500 and my G5's temps dropped considerably.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 Diablofett

Diablofett

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Hyrule

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:03 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 November 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

Do you have like a 2011? I just did a logic board replacement on a 2011 today and gal damn they really smeared that AMD chip thick. it was freaking all over the chip.

You took it to Apple?

I thought about doing the replacement program, but I do not trust a company that has to get sued in order to admit there was a problem. I have heard some bad things about those replacement logic boards they are using, a friend of mine just gave up after his replacement died in less than a week. They are probably using "repaired"/refurb logic boards, cheap bastards. I hope your new logic board works out for you. If your GPU issue comes back, take a heat gun to that mo-fo!

View PostFrost, on 12 November 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

  • The 2TB Samsung 850 Pro currently in my MacBook Pro is pretty similar to the Samsung that was originally in my MacBook Pro. It'll get warm if I'm dumping 100GB of stuff on it, but the vast majority of time it's ice cold. Samsung wasn't lying about 3D V-NAND running cooler than standard NAND; it definitely does. Right now, for example, it's just been idling for the last few minutes and my MBP's aluminum around the area of the SSD is completely cold.

I was looking at the 1TB Samsung 850 Pro, myself. Thank you for the thorough post!

#14 macdude22

macdude22

    Like, totally awesome.

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Location:Iowa
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

View PostDiablofett, on 12 November 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

You took it to Apple?

I thought about doing the replacement program, but I do not trust a company that has to get sued in order to admit there was a problem. I have heard some bad things about those replacement logic boards they are using, a friend of mine just gave up after his replacement died in less than a week. They are probably using "repaired"/refurb logic boards, cheap bastards. I hope your new logic board works out for you. If your GPU issue comes back, take a heat gun to that mo-fo!

I work for a hospital, I manage the Macintosh desktop environment and we are a self service organization with Apple. I do all the repairs in house and just did a quality program repair on a 2011 today. And there was grease up the wazoo when I pulled off the heat sink. I am convinced all the boards getting sent out for the Video Quality Program are not actually fixed, Apple just hopes they hold out long enough for you not to care. I replaced a board on a 2012 retina and the replacement failed VST right off the bat, had to get another replacement sent. Boards keep dying and I'll just keep replacing them on Apple's dime. Personally I have a 2012 non retina MBP which is one of the few models that does not seem to have issues.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#15 Diablofett

Diablofett

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Hyrule

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 November 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

I work for a hospital, I manage the Macintosh desktop environment and we are a self service organization with Apple. I do all the repairs in house and just did a quality program repair on a 2011 today. And there was grease up the wazoo when I pulled off the heat sink. I am convinced all the boards getting sent out for the Video Quality Program are not actually fixed, Apple just hopes they hold out long enough for you not to care. I replaced a board on a 2012 retina and the replacement failed VST right off the bat, had to get another replacement sent. Boards keep dying and I'll just keep replacing them on Apple's dime. Personally I have a 2012 non retina MBP which is one of the few models that does not seem to have issues.

Ah, that is good. Hopefully that repair will last, I would think it should last longer than Apple's "repair" would. So you are able to get logic boards sent from Apple? That is interesting.

I am not a fan of the new computers Apple is putting out. The non-upgradeability bothers me, and I still use CD drives often. If this thing does eventually give out, I will probably build a desktop hackintosh. I would like to use a laptop, but compatibility for those is very difficult when using non-Apple-hardware.

Does your Macbook Pro 2012 have a dedicated GPU?

#16 macdude22

macdude22

    Like, totally awesome.

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Location:Iowa
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostDiablofett, on 13 November 2015 - 07:57 AM, said:

Does your Macbook Pro 2012 have a dedicated GPU?

Yes but the 2012 non retina is not listed in the quality program and it has never given me any trouble.

I am Apple certified and do the repairs per Apple's documentation with Apple supplied parts. For warranty work all costs are covered, same with quality program out of warranty work. We are able to purchase parts from Apple for out of warranty devices in need of repair. Essentially we are an AASP but we can only perform repairs on organizationally owned devices.

Mind you repair is not my primary function, my actual job is administration of the macintosh environment. Sometimes I just do mail in for laptops or phones, but being an SSA gives us easy access to mail in repair.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17432 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 November 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

grease up the wazoo

4 words you do not want to hear in prison.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 macdude22

macdude22

    Like, totally awesome.

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Location:Iowa
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 November 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

4 words you do not want to hear in prison.

I'm not sure you want to hear them in a hospital either. Usually it involves cameras. And your butt.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#19 Diablofett

Diablofett

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Hyrule

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:45 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 13 November 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

4 words you do not want to hear in prison.

You would know about that...

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17432 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

Just because it sounds like I'm blowing across the neck opening of a gallon jug when I fart is no reason to make such assumptions.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat