Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

View PostFrost, on 18 November 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

Oh lord.

This was one of the biggest perks of moving from Dallas/Fort Worth (where I was born and raised) to Houston. I love seafood, and you can actually get good, fresh Gulf seafood here via the Port of Galveston. Not quite as good as the fresh catches you get at Cape Canaveral (oh god the swordfish), but close enough.

Dallasites think chain restaurants with frozen undersized overpriced crap with some batter thrown on it qualifies as seafood and I just want to kill them.

Oh god. Yeah, when I used to visit my uncle in san fran, the seafood at the warf was insane. And then trips to maine for lobsterfest was equally as yum. However here in the midwest, we dont have 'sea'food, we have fresh water food, which is pretty darn yum (mountain trout is good!). But I love all kinds of seafood, more than a slab of steak.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#42 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

As posted elsewhere: http://www.eurogamer...say-in-dialogue

I don't know why Bethesda didn't do this from the start, but now I don't care. Glad I'm just getting started in Fallout 4 and hadn't gotten far yet. It isn't possible to overstate what a huge improvement this is to the dialog system. Best of all, it doesn't even mess with your save or anything, just replaced a couple text files in the game data, so no chance of anything breaking with updates and patches.

In other news though, I wish they hadn't made power armor such a bitch to use and maintain, or at least offer some variation in it. The whole system they have in play makes total sense lorewise for the T-45d suits. They chewed up energy cells like candy and required constant maintenance, making them a logistical nightmare even if awesome. Totally makes sense that they would be difficult to keep fielded post-apocalypse by some lone dude in his garage, and thus you only pull it out when you need it.

What it doesn't make sense for is the T-51b units. Going from lore, they use a totally different method of construction as well as power delivery, and use a small back-mounted fusion reactor integral to the suit with enough power to last a LONG frakking time rather than blowing through portable energy cells. Half the entire reason for existence of the T-51b was to relieve the extreme logistical strain that T-45d put on the Army. It's a bit jarring to have T-51b suddenly behaving exactly like T-45d after 18 years of Fallout lore to the contrary. I'd have rather they kept the experience of using it accurate to the world, and just made it extremely difficult to find and procure like they did in Fallout 3 or an endgame item like in Fallout 1 and New Vegas where you have to be very far along in the story before you can use it, and thus have an appreciation for how powerful it is once you've got it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#43 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 November 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

It's fine, I am digging the settlements workshop. Channeling my inner animal crossing addiction. I am a little disappointed with the performance on my 2012 MBP. Skyrim ran fine (solid 40+ FPS) at native res at medium settings (1680x1050). I have had to set 1200x800 resolution and low graphical settings just to eek out 30FPS. I have not had opportunity to run it on my primary gaming PC.

mate I'm delighted it ran at all for you, as it gives me tons of hope on my iMac 27" 2011 with 1gb of graphics. i was thinking if it ran at all then great but if you get it running okay on a graphics card half as good then ill definitely be buying it when my iMac comes back from repair
iMac 2011 27" 3.2ghz and 1 gb 6970m

#44 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 18 November 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

I suspect the basic elements of the combat zone live on in Chinatown and elsewhere but I do recall what you are talking about happening quite a long time ago now actually. I was fortunate to work at Dragon Systems for the years I did and be surrounded by so many very talented software engineers who I learned a great deal from. I sometimes wish I had stayed on with them but the commute was getting to me and I decided to try out contracting which was great money but even better still my first contract job turned into a full-time hire and because they liked me they were willing to keep paying me the contract rate along with full benefits. Score!

I will miss Massachusetts and New England in general after a lifetime there so far but since my move to North Carolina a year and half ago now I have no regrets. I love it down here. It sure is nice walking around outside on a sunny 70 degree day in mid-November. It is also very nice seeing hardly any snow at all. It is really humorous down here how they react to a dusting, like maybe an inch of snowfall. The whole world stops turning, schools close. It's hilarious. I love every second of it. Everywhere I go everyone notices my Boston accent right away and I'm sure they notice me saying things like "wicked," etc. too. It's pretty funny. When they ask me where I am from and I tell them I often also tell them they all talk funny, not me. I also enjoy making jokes about myself, calling myself a damned yankee. That always makes people down here laugh.

You know what I really miss? New England seafood. These people eat stuff like catfish and popcorn shrimp all the time and they seem to think that qualifies as seafood or something. I have this incredible craving for fried clams, the real ones with bellies. I need to get to the sea down here and hope I can find some real food. A man cannot live on the likes of corn dogs, grits, hush puppies and deep fried everything forever. There is a Red Lobster but that is chain pseudo seafood. That ain't the real thing. That ain't a Maine Lobster that was swimming in the tank 10 minutes before it arrived on your plate, you know? Good times though, it is a lot of fun being here.

Ha, of course! I grew in NC, lived there for 23 years (UNCW alum), still have a lot of friends, classmates, and connections in the area. :-) I even took the family to Carolina Beach in May for a vacation. Sure, you miss the seafood up here, but I probably miss the NC-style BBQ more. I think about moving back about, oh, every month, but my wife has family and a good job here in Mass. so that's not going to happen. I often think about living there when I retire, though.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#45 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

I grew up in NC too. People are nice, but the politicians are insane. The weather is nice in that you get all four seasons in a non-extreme way, but the summer humidity sucks.

#46 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostAtticus, on 22 November 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

Ha, of course! I grew in NC, lived there for 23 years (UNCW alum), still have a lot of friends, classmates, and connections in the area. :-) I even took the family to Carolina Beach in May for a vacation. Sure, you miss the seafood up here, but I probably miss the NC-style BBQ more. I think about moving back about, oh, every month, but my wife has family and a good job here in Mass. so that's not going to happen. I often think about living there when I retire, though.

Isn't that something? I move south to NC and you moved North to Massachusetts. It's almost as if you knew I was coming or something.

This is a lovely place to retire to for sure. I agree with Cougar about the seasons. I enjoyed my time in New England on the whole but I am very happy for a new chapter in life to have begun here where I hope to stay now for the rest of the ride.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#47 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

Hah, if I told my mother that "NC is a lovely place to retire" she'd literally ROFL. My parents can't wait to retire to...wait for it...Cape Cod.

#48 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:00 PM

Hmm, they must like the damp and the cold I guess. Then there is the fun of trying to go anywhere or do anything for the locals during the summer season when the place is swamped with tourists. It's a lovely place to visit but I cannot imagine living there myself. Maybe further down the Cape where it is less populous and less touristy could work though.

#49 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

Try living in AZ most your life... lack of seasons! I love the midwest, the east side of the USA in general really. Seasons, the beauty, even friendlier people (generally, if you stay away from New York rofl).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#50 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:10 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 22 November 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Hmm, they must like the damp and the cold I guess. Then there is the fun of trying to go anywhere or do anything for the locals during the summer season when the place is swamped with tourists. It's a lovely place to visit but I cannot imagine living there myself. Maybe further down the Cape where it is less populous and less touristy could work though.

I love the Cape...my iOS lock screen has been the Knob since forever, and one day I want to leave my cat's ashes there. If it's not underwater by the time I retire I could see myself living there, too. But I've only been there during the summer, not when it's damp and cold and everything's shut up for the summer, so I probably have a skewed perspective!

#51 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:53 PM

If I'm gonna be damp and cold I want to do it in Kennebunkport myself. I like it up there and it isn't crazy busy but it is beautiful.

I just starting thinking about seafood again. I need to take a stroll to the local grill and load up on sandwiches that have bacon in them. I think a bacon cheeseburger and a BLT with some fries and a Mountain Dew will be good. The ladies at this place pile on the bacon. I love them.

Well, nice talking with you guys. I gotta go now. I must have sustenance!

#52 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

Bacon wrapped shrimp rolls.

-Fm [1oM7]

#53 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 23 November 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Bacon wrapped shrimp rolls.

Feed Me Plenty!

#54 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

So apparently tBC was around in the Fallout universe too. There's a poster of him on a wall.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#55 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

Well, I WAS first onto the moon that's true... but I was Ralph Cramdem's cat, so there's that.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#56 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 29 November 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

but I was Ralph Cramdem's cat, so there's that.

This explains SO MUCH.

Eric5h5:

#57 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

That guy doesn't like anybody to touch his Raccoon Lodge hat, much less mistake it for Mrs. Manicotti's hot looking tabby.  I beat Alice to the moon by a full decade.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#58 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

Steam is down. Last played FO4 on my laptop. Can't sync from steam cloud on desktop. Why was I programmed to feel pain.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#59 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:04 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 30 November 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

Steam is down. Last played FO4 on my laptop. Can't sync from steam cloud on desktop. Why was I programmed to feel pain.

You can get a patch for that pain you know. Then you could watch television but be careful to limit your exposure there. It can be harmful to your brain. You don't want to find yourself in a daze thinking about how maybe a knife that can cut through shoes would be good to have, etc.

#60 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 01 December 2015 - 02:04 AM, said:

You can get a patch for that pain you know. Then you could watch television but be careful to limit your exposure there. It can be harmful to your brain. You don't want to find yourself in a daze thinking about how maybe a knife that can cut through shoes would be good to have, etc.

Oh yeah, I have experience with that. It ended up with me dropping a tomahawk and it ricocheted off an obstacle just right to go straight at my foot, and hit my foot just right in order to slice a vein even though the area cut was quite small...

That was a fun day. Also messy.

Eric5h5: