Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 11 November 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

Thanks. It was a very happy day when they discharged me from the rehab. I feel like a new person ever since with such a world of possibly ahead now. :)

It was a shame about my wife leaving me and all but on a bright note that also creates more time for fun.

Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

He IS crazy.  I'M the dragon born that the Storm Cloaks of Skyrim need!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:58 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 November 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

He IS crazy.  I'M the dragon born that the Storm Cloaks of Skyrim need!

Oh crap. Half cat, half dragon. Everybody get laser pointers to distract him!

That being said... Fallout 4 looks... fallouty. That's as much I dare to find out before I can actually afford buying it.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:09 PM

We should fire all the review writers here and replace them with Whaleman.  A solid upgrade that would make too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

No first hand experience here, but from what I've seen and read, it really is barely improved from previous Bethesda RPGs: terrible writing, clunky combat, mediocre world building, glitches all over the place, stupid AI, bad UI, NPCs animated like wind-up toys, and graphics that make look everything like it's made out of plastic (including fur). At least they seem to have improved the usually atrocious voice acting and noticed that there are more colours in the world than greenish brown (Fallout 3) and greyish brown (Skyrim).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:57 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 11 November 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

We should fire all the review writers here and replace them with Whaleman.  A solid upgrade that would make too.

My rating system would be:

Coma inducing addiction
As fun as tricking tBC with a laser pointer
Close, but no lobster
Coma inducing boredom
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#27 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:23 AM

It's fine, I am digging the settlements workshop. Channeling my inner animal crossing addiction. I am a little disappointed with the performance on my 2012 MBP. Skyrim ran fine (solid 40+ FPS) at native res at medium settings (1680x1050). I have had to set 1200x800 resolution and low graphical settings just to eek out 30FPS. I have not had opportunity to run it on my primary gaming PC.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#28 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:29 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 November 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

It's fine, I am digging the settlements workshop. Channeling my inner animal crossing addiction. I am a little disappointed with the performance on my 2012 MBP. Skyrim ran fine (solid 40+ FPS) at native res at medium settings (1680x1050). I have had to set 1200x800 resolution and low graphical settings just to eek out 30FPS. I have not had opportunity to run it on my primary gaming PC.

Better spend $3K quick on the latest Alienware!
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#29 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:38 AM

I am sure it will run acceptably for my old tired eyes on Equinox. I can live with console level performance on my laptop. It just seemed odd given how well skyrim ran. Given some of the shenanigans Nvidia has pulled in the past I wouldn't be surprised if it's gimped somehow on the 650m. Maybe the textures really are too large to run well on 512MB card, but it doesn't look any better than skyrim to my eyes. *shrug*

#30 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 November 2015 - 06:05 AM, said:

No first hand experience here, but from what I've seen and read, it really is barely improved from previous Bethesda RPGs: terrible writing, clunky combat, mediocre world building, glitches all over the place, stupid AI, bad UI, NPCs animated like wind-up toys, and graphics that make look everything like it's made out of plastic (including fur). At least they seem to have improved the usually atrocious voice acting and noticed that there are more colours in the world than greenish brown (Fallout 3) and greyish brown (Skyrim).

Yep and everybody loves it anyway and it will sell millions and millions! :w00t:

View PostSneaky Snake, on 12 November 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

Better spend $3K quick on the latest Alienware!

Are you serious? For that you could have the latest, greatest tricked out 27" iMac with a beautiful retina display and a GPU that... oh, wait. Never mind.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#31 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:52 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 10 November 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

I've been reading some pretty mixed reviews online for Fallout. Anyone on IMG have experience with it? I might pick it up for my ps4, but the framerate issues have me worried.

Got the PC version on release day, managed to not play for a couple days in order to put in the last few hours of beating Mad Max. Which, BTW, is the most fun I've had with an open world game in years. It has its flaws and faults, but it ended up being close enough into the intersection of "Things Frost Likes" that I could hug it. Doubly impressive since it was a movie tie-in. My experience with movie tie-in games usually tends more toward a "take the disc out back and light it on fire" sort of experience.

About to fire up Fallout 4 for the first time right now. We'll see how it goes!

EDIT: Holy frakking popsnizzle, this looks amazing compared to my days of playing Fallout 3 and NV on the PS3. Frak low framerates and jaggies everywhere, man. Now let's see if it blows up every two hours like Fallout 3 PS3 used to though...

EDIT 2: Also, here we go again.

Posted Image

I will say the new character creator is pretty nice. Fallout 3 I tried to make myself. I got some dude who looked like Prince Harry, and that one was my best effort. I tried again with New Vegas and to my surprise actually got a decent resemblance going. Better, at least. Fallout 4, I managed to get a serious resemblance going. My only problem was I couldn't get my guy's age looking right. All those hours spent under a helmet instead of in the sun has left me getting carded at 32. My dude looks too weathered no matter what I do.

View PostSneaky Snake, on 11 November 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

Aiming guns feels extremely clunky though on the PS4 compared to the beautiful gunplay of Destiny. I'm constantly over or under aiming for nearly every target. Oh well, that's what VATS is for I guess.

Bungie does gunplay like nobody else except maybe Epic. Titanfall was the first thing I'd played in years that just "felt right" that wasn't from either of those developers.

That being said, hopefully Fallout 4 does not have Destiny's frakking bullpopsnizzle RNG loot system. I'll take clunky aiming in exchange for not fighting with RNGesus all the time. Bungie got me back into Destiny with the huge reduction in grinding and ways to circumvent RNG loot, and the huge increase in regular fun with the House of Wolves expansion. I am not willing to devote MMO-level hours to a game, and they met me in the middle (which ironically ended up causing me to play a LOT more). Taken King OTOH, once you get past the fantastic new story and whatnot, is feeling like a return to the bad old days of The Dark Below with annoying artificial gates to player progress. I've been feeling another Destiny break coming on as a result.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#32 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:18 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 11 November 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

Aiming guns feels extremely clunky though on the PS4 compared to the beautiful gunplay of Destiny. I'm constantly over or under aiming for nearly every target. Oh well, that's what a mouse is for I guess.
Fixed that for you. ;)

#33 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:41 AM

I need to hack together the PS Nav Controller + Mouse setup I used to play Spec Ops: The Line. I hate that I can either have super precise aiming with super imprecise movement using a mouse & keyboard, or super imprecise aim with super precise movement with a controller. That was the best of both worlds... unfortunately it was a bitch to set up. Third party support might be better now though. I need to look into it.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#34 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

Started playing yesterday on me gaming rig (dual 970s, i7-4790K). I think some of the initial complaints are valid--I ran into a bug within the first 15 minutes of gameplay (literally--I couldn't move my character and had to reload a save to proceed lol). Later, had trouble interacting with a terminal in the museum in Concord. So, yep, same ole engine! It's just barely holding on in the modern gaming era.

BUT--no one does the futurama-cum-atomic-1950s aesthetic better than Bethesda, and after playing F4 for a couple of hours, I remember this is a world I'm very happy to inhabit for a couple hundred hours. And it doesn't hurt that I live 20 mins outside Boston, so looking forward to exploring Fenway, old apartment where that happened with that ex-girlfriend years ago, etc. :-)

I haven't started experimenting with the settlement building options yet. Gameplay stuff like this usually makes my eyes glaze over and palms sweat (shades of RTS gaming, which I'm not smart enough to enjoy), so I hope it ends up being fun and not a chore that just stresses me out.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#35 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

I have had an issue where my subtitles get stuck, which is annoying because I tend to play at low volumes without headphones so as to listen for children at night.

#36 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 13 November 2015 - 12:18 AM, said:

Fixed that for you. ;)

I would if I could man. I would if I could.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#37 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:34 AM

View PostAtticus, on 13 November 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

BUT--no one does the futurama-cum-atomic-1950s aesthetic better than Bethesda, and after playing F4 for a couple of hours, I remember this is a world I'm very happy to inhabit for a couple hundred hours. And it doesn't hurt that I live 20 mins outside Boston, so looking forward to exploring Fenway, old apartment where that happened with that ex-girlfriend years ago, etc. :-)

I grew up and lived an hour southwest of Boston roughly for many years and used to commute daily down 95 to 128 to Newton when I worked for Dragon Systems there which was before they moved up to someplace on the North shore last I knew. I'm looking forward to seeing this too in time. I hope the Krishna's are still hanging out at Boston Common. It wouldn't be the same without them and that strange soup they offer you which I suspect if eaten turns you into an orange robe wearing Krishna. Naturally, exploration of the combat zone would be in order as well if it survived the nuclear war of course.

I'd be fine if I was to find the arena that replaced the Boston Garden (I forget the name now) was leveled. I took my daughters to a Backstreet Boys concert there. Need I say more?

#38 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 18 November 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

I grew up and lived an hour southwest of Boston roughly for many years and used to commute daily down 95 to 128 to Newton when I worked for Dragon Systems there which was before they moved up to someplace on the North shore last I knew. I'm looking forward to seeing this too in time. I hope the Krishna's are still hanging out at Boston Common. It wouldn't be the same without them and that strange soup they offer you which I suspect if eaten turns you into an orange robe wearing Krishna. Naturally, exploration of the combat zone would be in order as well if it survived the nuclear war of course.

I'd be fine if I was to find the arena that replaced the Boston Garden (I forget the name now) was leveled. I took my daughters to a Backstreet Boys concert there. Need I say more?

Dragon Systems and BB at the Garden (now the TD Banknorth Garden), nice! Still get into city when I can (was there recently to see "Book of Mormon"). Not many Krishna's around the Common, but there will always be the homeless. Sadly, the Combat Zone didn't survive gentrification from years ago (much less the apocalypse). I'm not even sure the ever-present Naked Eye (wink, wink) is still there. Ah, well.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#39 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

View PostAtticus, on 18 November 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

Dragon Systems and BB at the Garden (now the TD Banknorth Garden), nice! Still get into city when I can (was there recently to see "Book of Mormon"). Not many Krishna's around the Common, but there will always be the homeless. Sadly, the Combat Zone didn't survive gentrification from years ago (much less the apocalypse). I'm not even sure the ever-present Naked Eye (wink, wink) is still there. Ah, well.

I suspect the basic elements of the combat zone live on in Chinatown and elsewhere but I do recall what you are talking about happening quite a long time ago now actually. I was fortunate to work at Dragon Systems for the years I did and be surrounded by so many very talented software engineers who I learned a great deal from. I sometimes wish I had stayed on with them but the commute was getting to me and I decided to try out contracting which was great money but even better still my first contract job turned into a full-time hire and because they liked me they were willing to keep paying me the contract rate along with full benefits. Score!

I will miss Massachusetts and New England in general after a lifetime there so far but since my move to North Carolina a year and half ago now I have no regrets. I love it down here. It sure is nice walking around outside on a sunny 70 degree day in mid-November. It is also very nice seeing hardly any snow at all. It is really humorous down here how they react to a dusting, like maybe an inch of snowfall. The whole world stops turning, schools close. It's hilarious. I love every second of it. Everywhere I go everyone notices my Boston accent right away and I'm sure they notice me saying things like "wicked," etc. too. It's pretty funny. When they ask me where I am from and I tell them I often also tell them they all talk funny, not me. I also enjoy making jokes about myself, calling myself a damned yankee. That always makes people down here laugh.

You know what I really miss? New England seafood. These people eat stuff like catfish and popcorn shrimp all the time and they seem to think that qualifies as seafood or something. I have this incredible craving for fried clams, the real ones with bellies. I need to get to the sea down here and hope I can find some real food. A man cannot live on the likes of corn dogs, grits, hush puppies and deep fried everything forever. There is a Red Lobster but that is chain pseudo seafood. That ain't the real thing. That ain't a Maine Lobster that was swimming in the tank 10 minutes before it arrived on your plate, you know? Good times though, it is a lot of fun being here.

#40 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6075 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 18 November 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

You know what I really miss? New England seafood.

Oh lord.

This was one of the biggest perks of moving from Dallas/Fort Worth (where I was born and raised) to Houston. I love seafood, and you can actually get good, fresh Gulf seafood here via the Port of Galveston. Not quite as good as the fresh catches you get at Cape Canaveral (oh god the swordfish), but close enough.

Dallasites think chain restaurants with frozen undersized overpriced crap with some batter thrown on it qualifies as seafood and I just want to kill them.

Eric5h5: