#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

I've been reading some pretty mixed reviews online for Fallout. Anyone on IMG have experience with it? I might pick it up for my ps4, but the framerate issues have me worried.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

MY COPY IS NOT BEING DELIVERED UNTIL TOMORROW. And amazon is being real cagey about it. Twitter is full of reports too. Usually if they don't meet the guaranteed delivery date they give you a free month of prime but they are being real sticklers about it on this one for some reason.

I ordered on wandows, bethesda games seem less problematic on wandows.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

Now they are handing out our free months of prime at least. Some big wig must have authorized it finally. Probably didn't want to hand out 50,000 free months of prime because of some error.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

Sounds like it's a buggy mess everywhere, and--surprise--Bethesda's writing isn't improving, so it's a a GOTY steam sale for me. And I'm getting my Fallout vibe right now  in Wasteland 2, which does run in OS X.

Macdude22, apparently the game just has 5 GB on the disk, so it's a bit pointless to buy the physical PC version. Unless you're emotionally attached to boxes or something :P

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

View PostCougar, on 10 November 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

Sounds like it's a buggy mess everywhere, and--surprise--Bethesda's writing isn't improving, so it's a a GOTY steam sale for me. And I'm getting my Fallout vibe right now  in Wasteland 2, which does run in OS X.

Macdude22, apparently the game just has 5 GB on the disk, so it's a bit pointless to buy the physical PC version. Unless you're emotionally attached to boxes or something :P

I got the pip boy edition. I won't even take the disk out of the case just the steam code. Same thing with Star Craft II collectors edition. Insert code, let client download the real game.

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

Odd, I was reading the opposite, that the windows port is actually one of the better more polished games in a like forever from bethesda... and its not riddled with game breaking bugs that need an immediate patch to make the game playable from day one.

Am I reading the wrong stuff?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 10 November 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

Odd, I was reading the opposite, that the windows port is actually one of the better more polished games in a like forever from bethesda... and its not riddled with game breaking bugs that need an immediate patch to make the game playable from day one.

Am I reading the wrong stuff?

Well all of the positive reviews I'm reading give it a 9+ for being a next-gen version of Fallout 3. All of the negative reviews I'm reading are punishing for being simply a next-gen version of Fallout 3 (doesn't seem to evolve the gameplay much). So people are agreeing on what it is, they are just disagreeing on whether or not that's a good thing.

One reviewer (Colin Moriarity, big in the PlayStation world) was talking about how it's a great game, but you can definitely tell how it was made in a vacuum. He talks about his experiences with Witcher 3 and Dying Light and how they do open world better in some ways than Fallout 4 (to be honest I can't remember which things he said they do better though) so he would have liked to see it innovate a bit more. (although he still really likes the game).

I'm just being wary of the hype train I guess. Are people having more fun with Fallout then they had with other recent open world games/RPGs (Witcher 3 probably being the best comparison)?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

I was reading Reddit, which can be hyperbolic at one extreme or another. But at the very least it's extremely consolized--huge, bad UI (nothing new there), can't change the FOV without changing several config files, and for some bizarro reason the game's physics is tied to the framerate so the game breaks on monitors > 60 htz.

Anyway, those things (well, UI will have to wait for mods) will get addressed. I'm more concerned with the further dumbing down of RPG elements and the "go to place, kill everything, fetch item"-style of quests.

I liked FO3 at the time, but it seems Bethesda took none of the lessons from New Vegas. And meanwhile, we have games like Witcher 3 which manage to pull off making a huge open world game not feel monotonous, with side quests that basically have you doing the same things, but you don't notice because the plot and characters were so good.

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

That physics thing is a remnant of the creation engine. I was wondering if they were going to fix it for FO4, I guess not. Don't have my copy yet, couldn't tell you.

Skyrim did the same thing over 60FPS, horses in the sky, pots murdering you, general bizarro world mayhem. It truly was a trip the first time I hooked up the asus.

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

I think every Bethesda game has suffered that physics bug with hz, as I even recall it in Oblivion... I believe it even existed in Pirates of the Caribbean!

So, from what I'm hearing is "This is a typical bethesda game... crap at the core... let the modders run with it and make it better."

I'll definitely not be putting a large amount of money towards it, and I guess I'll just wait till the GOTY edition and combined community Official Unofficial bug fix pack from the nexus. From the shots, it looks just like Fallout New Vegas (which I have, but I don't have Fallout 3 cause people said it was pure garbage when compared to NV)? What exactly did they do? Anything?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#11 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 10 November 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

From the shots, it looks just like Fallout New Vegas (which I have, but I don't have Fallout 3 cause people said it was pure garbage when compared to NV)? What exactly did they do? Anything?

Apparently they fixed the gunplay (or made it suck less) and added a minecraft-lite base building element, two things that I couldn't care less about in a Fallout game. Oh and they made the main character voiced. Normally I wouldn't mind, but they changed the conversation system to a more Mass Effect-like good/bad/neutral one.

Fallout 3 is still worth playing, BTW. The storyline is garbage compared to New Vegas, yes, but I actually liked the atmosphere and sense of exploration more. NV's desert can get monotonous, and I find an enormous  appeal in exploring the wasteland of a place you have been to in real life.

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

But Fallout 3 is also a bethesda game, which means spending an entire weekend of fussing with mods to get it to run/look right. Then getting discouraged due to lost time, then spending another weekend... then giving up for a couple years, and then trying to do it all again, having to start over....

Did you know to this day I still have not gone beyond the first cave in Skyrim????????

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 10 November 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Did you know to this day I still have not gone beyond the first cave in Skyrim????????

I wouldn't, you know, admit that round these parts.

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 10 November 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

And you monkey folk say cats are stupid.  I got out of that first cave in mere weeks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

I'd like to play this but I really want to play Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Fallout 3 GoTY, Fallout NV GoTY, Oblivion GoTY, Skyrim GoTY, the Witcher Trilogy, the Mass Effect Trilogy and a bunch of other stuff first. I sure I hope I live a long time or else I am never gonna catch up. On a bright note, everything is complete and patched and cheap by the time I get to it. So that's a plus. :)

Considering I don't spend much if any time in MMOs anymore I just may catch up on quite a lot when I get going. I spent thousands of hours playing EverQuest, EverQuest II, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online and not the least of them, World of Warcraft. I rarely played any other games which is why there is so much stuff I have missed. Now that I am largely free of the MMO chains that bound me, I actually have time coming up for a lot of stuff. I used to raid five nights a week and all day and evening on Sundays in EverQuest. On top of that, I spent many more hours grinding AA points xp and fooling with alts, doing old epic quests for them, farming rare twink loots for them, farming other stuff to buy them stuff. It's incredible the time you can blow on a game like that but then you miss everything else going on. I did have a blast though. I loved being in the world of Norrath and know a great deal of that huge world like the back of my hand still. In my heyday, I was a leading cleric with excellent raid gear in the number one raiding guild on my server for content firsts, etc. I could never do that again but it sure was a memorable experience that I'll always fondly remember as the best game I have ever or will ever play.

The verdict from my nephews who are big fans of Bethesda games is Fallout 4 is awesome. They are loving it. They are playing it on Xbox One.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#16 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

Getting out of the grasps of an MMO is a HUGE deal. Congrats!

-Fm [1oM7]

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

As if the 10,000 hours he's going to spend in Skyrim will be any different.

Posted Image

#18 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:25 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 11 November 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

As if the 10,000 hours he's going to spend in Skyrim will be any different.

9,960 hours setting up Skyrim, 40 hours playing it through. I forgot.

-Fm [1oM7]

#19 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3301 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:20 AM

So I bought Fallout 4 for my PS4 (don't have a gaming pc anymore) and played it for a few hours last night.

Very fun game. Even the wife (who never plays any video games other than rock band and mario party) was very interested by the game and watched me play for the full 3 hours.

Aiming guns feels extremely clunky though on the PS4 compared to the beautiful gunplay of Destiny. I'm constantly over or under aiming for nearly every target. Oh well, that's what VATS is for I guess.

#20 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 November 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

Getting out of the grasps of an MMO is a HUGE deal. Congrats!

Thanks. It was a very happy day when they discharged me from the rehab. I feel like a new person ever since with such a world of possibly ahead now. :)

It was a shame about my wife leaving me and all but on a bright note that also creates more time for fun.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell