MacGameStore iOS App rejected (approved!)

ios app approval steam ios app uplay ios app favortism

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:11 AM

After submitting the MacGameStore iOS App to apple, they spent 7 days doing nothing, and then 2 minutes of review. Which was in its entirety:

1) Launched app "once".
2) Didnt even sign in (test account we provided them with detailed instructions) nor USE the app beyond making it launch.
3) Rejected back to us with an obscure reason that didnt even match up with what the app DOES. Lacking screenshots of what they didnt like, and a 'fix' suggestion that didnt even pertain to the app at all.

Just a word of note: There is nothing in the mgs app that is not already done by approved store apps (like steam, uplay, big fish, to name a few of the bigger companies). Except maybe our system requirements checker... but apple didnt even get far enough to see that in action.

An appeal has been submitted. Will keep you all posted on the progress.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2462 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:30 AM

Good luck. The submissions process can be frustrating, and they do make mistakes.

But I'm optimistic. If the reason they'd given was relevant (e.g. "Apple does not allow XYZ in the App Store") you'd either have to change something or be SOL. But since the reason doesn't make sense, it seems likely to me that you'll probably get further on appeal. At least you can expect a more sensible reason this time, something that might be addressed.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:34 AM

Possibly. Will know after another week I'm sure. They are super slow to respond to anything. Very baffling how they could be so obtuse with the initial review. Almost like the guy knew exactly who and what it was, and was like 'screw these guys'.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:33 PM

What is the focus of the MGS app going to be? Similar functionality to the Steam app?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:34 PM

Just a general tool for current users to use to keep on top of sales and buy stuff, browse, see whats new. It doesnt have community stuff like chat, friends, feeds, forums.

-Fm [1oM7]

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17422 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

You should build a Borg app.  The app consumes the code of other apps and adds that technological diversity to it's own code.  It wipes out any other app on the iOS device and cannibalize them, adopting their functions to suit the Borg hive of game apps:  The MacGameStore iOS app.   When they have trouble running or purchasing a game for instance their phone now will automatically connect to the help or ordering desk at IMG headquarters.  Make their movie or youtube viewers have a MacGameStore tab at all times to allow easy access to the MacGameStore library of previews and trailers.  I'd do that for you but I'm retired. One app to rule them all.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

Apple responded. They literally said the exact same thing, referred to their screenshots of the issue, forgot to include the screenshots again, BUT! Oh, this is the improvement to their response: They put the text in proper paragraph format.

*sigh*

I guess if MGS had millions to throw at some desk jockey over there at apple, we could have an iOS app too like steam, uplay, et al.

-Fm [1oM7]

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

Anyone out there good at writing up controversial editorial articles? This stinks of favoritism, monopolistic, oppressive, or just down right ignorant business practices by apple against a company who did nothing wrong in the app submitted.

Months of effort, productivity and resources down the drain because apple hires idiots these days.

-Fm [1oM7]

#9 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 November 2015 - 01:26 PM, said:

Anyone out there good at writing up controversial editorial articles? This stinks of favoritism, monopolistic, oppressive, or just down right ignorant business practices by apple against a company who did nothing wrong in the app submitted.

Months of effort, productivity and resources down the drain because apple hires idiots these days.

Maybe reach out to one of the larger technology sites that isn't biased towards Apple.

Do you or Tuncer have an Apple rep you guys can talk to?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 11 November 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

Do you or Tuncer have an Apple rep you guys can talk to?

I don't (Im just a web guy who makes all the magic work behind the scenes). Tuncer may or may not, be he expressed that they wouldn't listen anyhow. So we are trying to resubmit it again, hopefully a different person will review it.

Yes that is the definition of Insanity, but when dealing with Apple these days... one must become insane.

-Fm [1oM7]

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:28 PM

Seems Apple is rejecting our App for things they claim are in their rules... yet they are things that the Steam App, Uplay, Big Fish all do. So either Apple takes down those other apps that are violating those same terms, OR approve ours on precedent.

Double standard. Apple are fascists... they can do whatever they want to do, rules and regulations be damned. Whoever bribes them the most gets the bacon!

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

Which rules do they say it violates?

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17422 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

Rule 794 which reads:

Rule 794 - Etc.

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 11 November 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Which rules do they say it violates?

Cannot sell anything outside of in-app purchases (micro-transactions that enhance the app you are using) using apple's system. Which is exactly what pretty much every store's app does =p

-Fm [1oM7]

#15 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:13 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 November 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

Cannot sell anything outside of in-app purchases (micro-transactions that enhance the app you are using) using apple's system. Which is exactly what pretty much every store's app does =p

They should check out this one app that violates that paragraph something horrendously; it's called "Apple Store" where you can buy hardware for thousands of dollars and have it sent to you, all using Apple's payment services!
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#16 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:15 AM

View PostWhaleman, on 12 November 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

They should check out this one app that violates that paragraph something horrendously; it's called "Apple Store" where you can buy hardware for thousands of dollars and have it sent to you, all using Apple's payment services!

Haha... well they did mention no one can sell anything that is already offered by Apple. Which still begs the question of how then can Steam sell the same mac apps, and Big Fish, and even Amazon sells Mac apps digitally.

Its all a bunch of BS, and now we are having to alter a bunch of stuff to try and re-submit. Dumbing down the whole thing, ripping out stuff, trying to 'hide' that we sell mac apps. We even have to change the name to something ugly and illegible.

-Fm [1oM7]

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2041 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

I know my audible app seems to walk a fine line of not actually selling anything in the app, only allowing downloads rather than purchases but the Steam app is grade A buy what ever you want in the app. Is it possible the steam app just feeds through HTML5 web site and that is how they skirt around the requirements?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#18 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

Our purchase system is through an html5 terminal inside the app. Browsing and using it is all UI based though with API calls to the server.

If anyone used the Steam app at apple, and were following those 'rules', the in-app webkit wouldn't make a difference. I think there is even a rule that an app cannot just be a whole webkit interface.

Its just clear apple will approve the store apps from huge megamillion companies, but then silence the smaller companies like mgs.

-Fm [1oM7]

#19 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

Rename it "AnythingButMacGameStore"?

#20 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1365 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 12 November 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

Its all a bunch of BS, and now we are having to alter a bunch of stuff to try and re-submit. Dumbing down the whole thing, ripping out stuff, trying to 'hide' that we sell mac apps. We even have to change the name to something ugly and illegible.

At that point, why bother? Email Tim Cook and hope one of his minions respond, and report it to Mac news sites. MR likes to publish BS app rejection stories

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 November 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

Wait, how does buying a physical or digital product for use outside iOS "enhance" the store app? Buying games via the Steam Mobile app doesn't enable features in the app. I'm confused.