#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1439 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:32 AM

Blizzard’s Overwatch coming to Windows and consoles, but not Macs

Update: At Blizzcon this weekend, Blizzard confirmed that Overwatch will be coming to Windows, Xbox One and PS4 by Spring 2016. Blizzard is not working on a Mac port for the game, however. "Currently with the technology behind Macs and the way Overwatch runs it's just too challenging for us at this point to support it," game director Jeff Kaplan said. "Our focus right now is entirely on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4."

[ Original Story ]
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:08 AM

Shame. Though it's not like they said "not gonna happen" but "our focus right now" and "currently". Hopefully they're working on a port but it's just not high prio because they need to sort some popsnizzle out with Apple first. Call me an optimist, but it's Blizzard.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

Even optimism wont help me here.  Apple doesn't ship Macs with enough GPU muscle to make the port worthwhile.  More than half the Mac models available dont even have discrete GPUs anymore.  

If there was ever a time to understand that Apple doesn't care about gaming on OSX even one iota, it's now.

#4 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:55 AM

Wow.

As I said in another thread, Blizzard has a long tradition of supporting Macs on everything they release, and not doing it would be a big surprise, thus I thought it could be easily dismissed as a possibility.

I'll be dining on crow tomorrow.

View PostTetsuya, on 09 November 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

Even optimism wont help me here.  Apple doesn't ship Macs with enough GPU muscle to make the port worthwhile.  More than half the Mac models available dont even have discrete GPUs anymore.  

If there was ever a time to understand that Apple doesn't care about gaming on OSX even one iota, it's now.

Sadly, this is probably why, and the reason I hadn't considered behind why I didn't expect it. The Mac Pro and top of the line MacBook Pro are the only Macs with respectable GPU power right now. Most rMBPs barely have more GPU muscle than my 650M. Hell, I'm sitting on a 2TB 850 Pro in mine as well and it cost less than Apple charges for a 1TB SSD.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#5 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:33 AM

It gets worse when you realize that while something like ... 1/3 of the Mac models DO have discrete GPUs - they are certainly the models that also sell the least.  

I guarantee you that there are four or five 21" 4k iMacs shipping for every 5k 27".  

So while a decent percentage of offerings may still have a GPU - the actual percentage of machines being SOLD that have a decent GPU is even smaller.

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

As far as I see it, there are three options total to play games on a Mac reasonably well and none of them are ideal and much worse all of them are ridiculously expensive if gaming is a focus.

The Mac Pro is probably cool IF you need one for your work. Being able to play games on it is a nice bonus although I'd have concerns about driver optimization for gaming over the long haul as well as upgrades to the Coke can form factor design with the passage of time. For someone who does not need this professionally to spend this kind of money to play games on a Mac does not make sense to me. I can only imagine that a person who would choose this has more disposable income than they know what to do with. I do not have this problem myself.

The best MacBook Pro option isn't bad I guess IF your computing needs in general justify one. Otherwise, this is another system I consider hard to justify buying over something like a MacBook Air just so you can play games on it given its high cost. Of course, the other major thing here is this option is only worth considering at all if a notebook computer is what you need and want to begin with. I think I might like one for everyday computing and mobility even just in my home but I cannot see spending for a MacBook Pro just to play games at midrange performance levels when it is brand new and too quickly move downhill from there.

That leaves the only desktop option at the 27" iMac which has a GPU that cannot drive it's display for gaming at native resolution and high settings at all probably or if it can the offerings where this is possible must be pretty limited at this point I would imagine. So right out of the box, you are paying big bucks to get the best GPU option for gaming on a Mac desktop (aside of a Mac Pro that doesn't make sense for the majority as noted above) and you cannot even run at native resolution so there is your first visual tradeoff when it is brand new.

In my opinion, every single Apple computer should be evaluated for purchase in terms of the everyday computing functionality you need first and foremost. Once you establish that it is probable that the system which would be ideal and most cost effective is probably not a good one to be playing games on.

This is where it stands with Apple hardware and this is not likely to change. Even Metal really only matters in terms of the ecosystem and the games that will work across most if not all of it. So a retina iMac with an Iris Pro or whatever will be great at running the iOS games that also run on iPads, iPhones and the TV. This is what Apple is selling.

The answer in my opinion as I've said before is to adapt and work out whatever solution is good for you in terms of alternatives for your gaming fix. I am going to milk the current iMac until it dies probably and I think I'll wind up with an Air to replace it for everyday computing not that I will toss the iMac if it is still running fine. I have a huge library of stuff to play on this machine until it dies. I won't run out of games for it as such but it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy any new AAA for it anymore. For me a console is going to be the way to go for that going forward. It's comparatively cheap. There's plenty to play even if it does not do everything a PC can. That doesn't matter to me personally as I only have so much time anyway. Plus another big deal for me is that I am excited about the whole laying on the couch while I play thing. I am going to be digging that in a big way. So I'm fine with it all myself but that is because I give up when it comes to my Mac doing it all. That's not happening. That is not what Apple sells. I bet I will enjoy some cool iOS stuff down the road on both my Apple TV and my Air. So that's fine. It's all good. I think those of us who enjoy AAA gaming just need to accept reality and not be bummed out by it but instead roll up your own solution and have a good time for yourself.

In fairness to Apple too, the course they are charting here does make sense and it sure does make money, lots of it. The mobile gaming market has exploded. It is huge. I read a report on market segment size yesterday and mobile games revenue exceeds 20 billion dollars annually worldwide now. This competes very favorably with other market segments easily. So it is not exactly a stupid thing to do for Apple to take a pass on traditional AAA desktop gaming overall while they focus on their ecosystem goals instead which represent big returns already and the potential for even bigger returns as they bring this stuff to the living room along with iPhones, iPads and increasingly Macs. I see this as a pretty cool scenario myself. However as usual no platform does it all.

So I don't think it is really fair to say Apple does not care about gaming. I think they care about it plenty but they are focusing in on one particular kind of gaming that is in fact wildly popular and profitable. When you look at it this way it is easier to see Apple's decision making in a more favorable way I think.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#7 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 09 November 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

I don't think that's it, man. Look at the horsepower Blizzard games require - that's right. Not much. WE've got the new cutting edge UT being developed by Epic for Mac right now, we've got Shadow of Freaking Mordor available natively for Mac, Tomb Raider 2013, Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light for Mac by the original developer. These games push pixels far more intensely than anything Blizzard has EVER put out. Would anyone have forgiven any of those developers or porters for passing on those titles as being not worth it? I wouldn't. But they did it anyway.

I think that Blizzard's call has more to do with money than anything else. I just don't know whose money.
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostIrishman, on 10 November 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

WE've got the new cutting edge UT being developed by Epic for Mac right now,

Epic told me Gears of War was coming out for mac like a decade ago so I'm not holding my breath.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 Irishman

Irishman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:09 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 10 November 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Epic told me Gears of War was coming out for mac like a decade ago so I'm not holding my breath.

That's a joke, right? :)
COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!

#10 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 November 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

In fairness to Apple too, the course they are charting here does make sense and it sure does make money, lots of it. The mobile gaming market has exploded. It is huge. I read a report on market segment size yesterday and mobile games revenue exceeds 20 billion dollars annually worldwide now. This competes very favorably with other market segments easily. So it is not exactly a stupid thing to do for Apple to take a pass on traditional AAA desktop gaming overall while they focus on their ecosystem goals instead which represent big returns already and the potential for even bigger returns as they bring this stuff to the living room along with iPhones, iPads and increasingly Macs. I see this as a pretty cool scenario myself. However as usual no platform does it all.

So I don't think it is really fair to say Apple does not care about gaming. I think they care about it plenty but they are focusing in on one particular kind of gaming that is in fact wildly popular and profitable. When you look at it this way it is easier to see Apple's decision making in a more favorable way I think.
Even with mobile gaming, I am not seeing any signs that Apple care about it. I think Game Center is clear evidence of that.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:23 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 10 November 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

The difference is that I'm actually already playing the new cutting edge UT on my Mac. ;)

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 10 November 2015 - 11:06 PM, said:

Even with mobile gaming, I am not seeing any signs that Apple care about it. I think Game Center is clear evidence of that.
GameCenter aside, they added and steadily improved a bunch of game related APIs to iOS and OS X over the last few years, like GameKit, SpriteKit, and SceneKit.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:30 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 10 November 2015 - 11:06 PM, said:

And Metal, SpriteKit, GLkit, SceneKit, Gamekit... are evidence they care about mobile gaming.

EDIT: beaten

#13 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:49 AM

Interesting. Seems they only care about the developers then, and not the end users.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#14 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:13 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 November 2015 - 05:49 AM, said:

Interesting. Seems they only care about the developers then, and not the end users.

iOS is the biggest gaming platform in the world with nearly 400 million Game Center accounts. That's more than Steam (110 Mio), Xbox Live (50 Mio), PlayStation Network (110 Mio/65 Mio active users) and Nintendo Network (10 Mio) combined. People might not like mobile gaming, but it's a force to recognize. Mobile already rules the giant Japanese gaming market (home consoles are effectively dead, just look at the small numbers for PS4 and Wii U). Apple is focusing on where the puck is going to be -- that's a wise decision.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

View PostJan, on 11 November 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

iOS is the biggest gaming platform in the world with nearly 400 million Game Center accounts. That's more than Steam (110 Mio), Xbox Live (50 Mio), PlayStation Network (110 Mio/65 Mio active users) and Nintendo Network (10 Mio) combined. People might not like mobile gaming, but it's a force to recognize. Mobile already rules the giant Japanese gaming market (home consoles are effectively dead, just look at the small numbers for PS4 and Wii U). Apple is focusing on where the puck is going to be -- that's a wise decision.
I know that, but that does not mean it is the best service. Comparing Game Center to Steam, or the services on Xbox and PS4, makes it look ridiculous, and it is clear that it isn't a feature Apple cares much about. It is practically unchanged since it was announced.

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 November 2015 - 05:49 AM, said:

It could be a case of Game Center is good enough for the time being for most users. I have plenty of games that are connected to it but to be honest the only thing I notice is the little popover at the top center screen when they start. This is because whatever Game Center does, I don't care really. I did play one game which was populated by other users until I headed off to quest although I could have teamed up with others if i wanted to. That was working fine. So the most important thing it needs to provide, it seems that it does.

It is probably worthy of note that just as the demographic for iOS gamers is not quite the same as other markets, their concerns about a client offering a ton of features may in the majority also be different. These are not necessarily the core gaming crowd that even wants all the stuff we take for granted now on a client like Steam. In general, these users I think do not devote the same kind of weekly hours to gaming and as such don't have a lot of time for screwing around with a client beyond it serving their needs to connect for multiplayer. Anything else is fluff really. It's kind of Apples to Oranges no pun intended to compare the mobile segment with the desktop of console segments. They are pretty different from each other even while sharing some basic core similarities.

I know my brother-in-law likes iOS games on his iPad although he is also very much a long time console gamer of the Playstation persuasion. He's been active in some guild in some game on there and that all works for him. I presume Game Center is providing the basic connectivity for that experience successfully.

I suppose it could be built out with more features and whatnot but I don't know. It does not seem that important to me if the essential things it needs to do, it is doing. Maybe that is why it does not get a lot of attention for at least the time being unless something needs fixing as seems to be the case for Game Center and Aspyr's C&C Generals game. But that is being worked on not just by Aspyr so that seems good enough to me personally. Then again, I am not that big on online multiplayer myself aside of MMOs and maybe the occasional shooter.

I think the gaming APIs to facilitate better games are far more important to end user's experience than building out features into Game Center and as others have noted above this does I think also clearly demonstrate that Apple is quite serious about gaming on the ecosystem as they should be. This is a huge money maker and they do have shareholders to answer to after all along with their customers. Neglecting that much revenue would not go over well on Wall Street I wouldn't think.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#17 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2045 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

View PostIrishman, on 10 November 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

That's a joke, right? :)

No joke, they announced it years ago and never followed through.

http://www.macworld....gearsofwar.html
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#18 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 12 November 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

No joke, they announced it years ago and never followed through.

http://www.macworld....gearsofwar.html

After all the hooplah surrounding that I'd pay real money to know what the hell happened there. There were various updates from Ryan Gordon always pushing UT3 and Gears further out, and the final thing he said before he stopped saying anything was we "wouldn't believe the reason for the hold up" or something along those lines. Then nothing.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#19 henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Steam Name:henryfakesmile
  • Steam ID:henrycc265

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:30 PM

View PostFrost, on 12 November 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

After all the hooplah surrounding that I'd pay real money to know what the hell happened there. There were various updates from Ryan Gordon always pushing UT3 and Gears further out, and the final thing he said before he stopped saying anything was we "wouldn't believe the reason for the hold up" or something along those lines. Then nothing.

at least we got the unreal tournament

#20 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3815 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:29 AM

View PostFrost, on 12 November 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

Lets get hold of Gordon, and then set up a Kickstarter for the amount he wants payed out to spill the beans. Maybe all he wants is a free IMG Pro account.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: overwatch, blizzard, platform, console, ars, technica, article