#21 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

I've barely started the original Company of Heroes as well... :crying:

It sucks when the contract prevents a simple fix (I remember similar issues with Colin McRae Rally etc.), the changes these days are not so big as in earlier OS X releases so I'm sure most would get patched if they could still be sold.

I used to keep a list and try and test all my games with each new OS release but there are just so many now and not enough time so it means I tend to find out about a problem when I get round to playing.

The trouble is my games collection is still growing faster than I can play them plus I sometimes decide to go back and replay an old favourite so it can easily happen where the game breaks first..

Although I could technically set up an older OS on another drive in practice I never want to spend the time rebooting - the same reason (along with cost for the licence and extra maintenance required) is why I can't bring myself to mess around with bootcamp.

I guess eventually it may be possible to use Virtual Machines using older OS X releases with enough support for gaming but OS X as a guest seems very poorly supported especially for anything involving 3D graphics. Windows or Linux as a guest are expected mostly.

I've tended to find that the PC version eventually runs well enough in WINE to replace the older broken Mac port in many cases for me (e.g. Starcraft, UT, Splinter Cell
, Elite Force and so on.)

For this reason I definitely consider it a bonus if I can pickup a cross platform licence such as a Steamplay title or with GOG etc. as it gives me more options. It's also why if I don't think I'll play the game soon I'm more likely to buy it on sale.

Where I'm buying a Mac only licence and it breaks it just has to be a put down as the cost of trying to support the teams at Feral, Aspyr etc. who keep making the effort to port to OS X.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#22 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

So Janichsan's delete prefs tip to fix the display problems I was having with Tomb Raider Underworld worked - thanks for that!
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#23 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3814 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:02 AM

We may consider keeping a thread which lists the games broken by each OS update.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#24 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:13 AM

Great idea - especially if once a few of us have confirmed the problem they can be added to 1st post with the details.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, RX580 8GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.13.1

#25 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

It can be like the graveyard they keep at Ben & Jerry's headquarters. There's a tombstone for each ice cream flavor that was cancelled.

R.I.P., "One Sweet Whirled". Sigh.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#26 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 07 November 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

It can be like the graveyard they keep at Ben & Jerry's headquarters. There's a tombstone for each ice cream flavor that was cancelled.

R.I.P., "One Sweet Whirled". Sigh.

I visited there many years ago and took the tour to see them making the ice cream, etc. It was a fun time and they gave us free cones too. I don't remember any graveyard then but that could be because it was so long ago they had not yet cancelled any flavors.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#27 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 07 November 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

I visited there many years ago and took the tour to see them making the ice cream, etc. It was a fun time and they gave us free cones too. I don't remember any graveyard then but that could be because it was so long ago they had not yet cancelled any flavors.
They definitely have this going on for quite a while now: the earliest tomb stones seem to date back to 1988.

(Who the hell considered "Tennessee Mud" to be appealing name for an ice cream flavour?)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#28 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

The website doesn't seem to be up to date-- pretty sure I saw One Sweet Whirled in their physical graveyard. (That was some years ago-- maybe some flavors have been removed from the graveyard to make room for others? That would compound the tragedy.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#29 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:43 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 07 November 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

They definitely have this going on for quite a while now: the earliest tomb stones seem to date back to 1988.

(Who the hell considered "Tennessee Mud" to be appealing name for an ice cream flavour?)

I would have been there in 2002 I believe so maybe I did see it and just don't recall. That is possible. I could also have been too busy chowing ice cream to notice anything. That is also possible.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell