#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

Does anyone know if its fine for me to leave an SSD in a Mac when I take it in for service? Or will they freak out?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

Depends on what the issue is. GSX is full of blurbs like....

"Third-party hard drives without correct firmware or outside this product's specifications may cause the computer to run hot. In such cases, inform the user that the computer has been modified from its original, supported configuration, and that such a repair would not be covered under Apple warranty."

They may want to put the original Apple supplied drive in for diagnosis but generally replacing the HD doesn't implicitly void the warranty. Also if it is out of applecare I don't think they will care at all.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

I asked the guys at the genius desk in the UK about this for my 2011 MBP with a personally fitted SSD and RAM and I'm paraphrasing and basically it was "we don't care one bit". And this was for a borked mother board.

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:54 PM

View PostHansi, on 23 October 2015 - 04:38 PM, said:

I asked the guys at the genius desk in the UK about this for my 2011 MBP with a personally fitted SSD and RAM and I'm paraphrasing and basically it was "we don't care one bit". And this was for a borked mother board.

It's probably subjective. Though Apple sure has been taking the subjective out of repairs lately......GSX requires a gal damn special test for everything these days to process a repair.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

They did run the tests, but I guess the guy was just a reasonable human being rather then a check list following simpleton.

#6 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 23 October 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

Does anyone know if its fine for me to leave an SSD in a Mac when I take it in for service? Or will they freak out?

Generally, if I send anything in for service, I put a generic hard drive in it. I only trust technicians only as far as I can throw them. Actually, come to think of it, it would probably be easier for the little 5'5" 100 pound guys to get away with more so that may not be the best policy either...

That and format it/install system software so I don't get it back with the explanation of "lolz, I found your problem, you didn't have a system on it. What? No, I didn't notice the GPU was dead, I stopped there when I saw you had no system software installed and marked it resolved..."
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1583 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:45 PM

Yeah. If you give basic tech people any way out, they will immediately take it and call it a day. Problem solved - for them.

Something I really love about AppleCare is on-site service. When I had repeated issues with the mid-2011 melting itself they came to me and I got to oversee the process including when the guy did not wait to begin working on it internally and therefore shorted something causing quite the spark, noise and yell out of him. You miss this kind of stuff when you send something in or drop it off. Basically, it's the next best thing to fixing it yourself but all the parts are free.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:50 PM

View PostFrost, on 26 October 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

Generally, if I send anything in for service, I put a generic hard drive in it. I only trust technicians only as far as I can throw them. Actually, come to think of it, it would probably be easier for the little 5'5" 100 pound guys to get away with more so that may not be the best policy either...

That and format it/install system software so I don't get it back with the explanation of "lolz, I found your problem, you didn't have a system on it. What? No, I didn't notice the GPU was dead, I stopped there when I saw you had no system software installed and marked it resolved..."

I have an old 5400 rpm drive laying around with an older OS X install on it. I throw that on and force them to suffer through the terrible 5400rpm speeds as payment for making me switch out my drive.

On a sidenote: have people noticed how cheap SSD's are getting? It's amazing. The 500 GB Kingston one I just picked up was only $210 CDN (which is verrrrry good for Canadian pricing). In a year or two I expect 1 TB SSD's to be sub $200, which means goodbye normal HDD's for everything other then my backup drives.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB