macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

Well I got the USB switcher doodle and the monitor a while back and I just hadn't gotten around to tackling the audio. I finally did that. I am a simple man so 2ch is fine with me. I got this little switcher doodle that is working well. There are some that are cheaper on Amazon but I kind of liked this robust box made by a guy here in the USA. Most of my stuff is well grounded (HAM habits die hard) so I haven't had any issues with ground loops.

Posted Image
Posted Image
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:57 PM

Holy cow, that is my desk!  Is that a 50's - 60's era metal desk?  Looks like I can even see the very edge of the lock on the locking drawer that locks all the other drawers.  And more importantly how does that doodle work and what are you using it on?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

It came out of an old social services office so yea it's probably that old. It's sturdy as a brick house.

Posted Image

I have a pair of logitech z320 speakers (http://support.logit...ker-system-z320) that I am feeding the Mac and the PC into now. Before I just had the speakers plugged into the PC since that is primarily where I cared about audio. I am old and lazy and I just like reasonably good sound. I have a zvox 555 on my living room tv. 2 CH is the one for me.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:11 AM

I think I will eventually be needing a device like that myself.  I haven't done a lot of thinking yet about what will be required for a Mac Mini and PC or console (or both) to share stuff.

Desks like that are goodness. You can't kill them.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

That is my desk exactly except for the color of the metal drawers, mine are black.  Our desktop is perfect for mice, as the faux wood grain gives a smoothish surface with lots of variance for the mouse to track.  A mouse just glides over it but I do have to wear a cotton glove to make my hand and wrist slide, so basically the mouse pad is on my hand and the mouse never sees it.

As far as sound goes, I have a shelf about a foot above the top of my monitor that holds a boom box with a sound in port.  I plug my Mac audio out into it.  I get great sound and perfect stereo separation, volume and a small graphic equalizer .  My PC is my Mac at the moment so I never need to do any sound switching.  I guess eventually I'll need to get a switcher too when Apple decides not to support my Apple product.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

Gotta love desks built to last! Not that cheap china crap they peddle in all the office furniture stores these days... where you just bump an edge and it breaks apart and splinters in a shower of sawdust and veneer flakes.

I used to have a switch box I made for sharing my audio device with my various computers. Then I had gotten this "Creative" 5.1 system (a real cheap deal in the day, and its lasted this long!)... where it has multiple inputs and kind of mixes them already. I just have to push a button on the face to go into full-5.1 mode if I fire up a game that supports it. Doing that though kills the other inputs, so its not like it mixes in the 2ch stereo from my iPod, into the 5.1 of a game I may be playing at the same time :(

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:59 PM

I've always been quite happy with stereo myself. I can't be bothered mounting rear speakers, running wires to them, etc. It's way too much trouble even though the enhanced soundstage is cool. My brother-in-law has a nice Klipsch surround setup in his living room and it is very cool for movies or gaming but not cool enough for me to bother with personally.

I am a big fan of Bose speakers so I have a pair of them, I forget the model name now but they ran me around $200. and the sound quality including bass response is really impressive for their size and price point. I'm very pleased with them. They can put out plenty of distortion-free volume too. Usually I stream iTunes out to the living room where my Denon stereo receiver lives. I have an old pair of big Bose Series IV Mk V speakers out there which sound amazing. I love them.

I do want to upgrade to the Bose system for computers that sports a subwoofer in the future though. I'm sure that sounds really great. It's nice to have good music in my office sometimes and good quality sound when I am gaming. I'm one who really appreciates good soundtracks in games. I import my favorites into iTunes when possible. For a game I really like, listening to just the music brings back good memories of being in its world, like with Baldur's Gate. I like the music from that a lot.

Anyway, some sort of easy to use switch would be an absolute must for me as both the Mac and PC would need good sound.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

My rear speakers actually just sit on the side corners of my desk (its a corner L shaped desk). They are pretty much directly to the left/right of me, but they have enough of a range they make sounds like coming from behind. Its really amazing to have that sort of situational awareness in games that utilize it. Even if its NOT really fully 'surround' the way I have them. And yeah, I couldnt be bothered to run wires around, because I keep moving furniture around =p

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 24 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

I only have one computer, but if I had two the product I use for enhanced sound would work as well as a switcher since it has multiple inputs:
https://www.cambridg...a/dacmagic-plus (I actually have the older DacMagic sans Plus, but it's not much different except it has no built-in headphones jack; and actually I can't recommend the Cambridge Audio brand as I've been thoroughly disappointed by their support, but the products are good; there are of course many other good brands which make quality DACs you can choose instead).

Then if you have a good ear and a good system or hi-fi headphones, you'll appreciate the clean sound which goes out of a quality DAC, compared to the poor sound output by the Mac's built-in 50 cents DAC which is only good enough for system beeps and Youtube cat videos (no offense intended to the Battle Cat) to my ears.