#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:14 AM

The Mac Mini was last updated in October 2012 and October 2014. Think there will be an update this fall? I'm wanting to pick one up.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

Zero confidence. I think Apple is done updating for the holidays.

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

I agree, I doubt there will be any meaningful updates after the iMac releases until after the new year. I too am keeping my eye on the mini but I don't think we'll have something until marchish.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

Hmm. Probably going to look to getting a used 13" retina then. They aren't much more then a mini when you spec the mini with an SSD and factor in the MBP's faster GPU
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#5 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

Was are you running now?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 19 October 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

Was are you running now?

Just a 2011 MBA. Sold ye olde gaming desktop

#7 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

Ended up getting a 2011 15" MBP with 2.4 GHz i7, 6770M, 8 GB RAM, 480 GB SSD and the 1680x1050 matte display for $900. Pretty happy with the purchase.

#8 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:30 AM

What they did to the Mini is appalling, IMO.  They gutted the poor thing, and i cant even figure out why.  

When you could upgrade the CPU to something with some muscle, it was a pretty good Pro-Am machine.  You could upgrade the RAM to a decent amount, swap out the Hard Drive(s) pretty easily, and it had great ports and could pack a real punch in pretty much any non-gaming task.  And you could get them pretty cheap.  

The 'New' Mini OTOH, is garbage.  Soldered-down RAM, junky ultra-low-power CPUs, no i7 option, hard drive harder to get to...  

Bleh.  Apple pretty much doesnt make a Mac that fits my needs anymore.  I dont need an iMac - i already have a nice display, thanks - and i dont need a Pro anymore (and definitely dont need the expense) and the new Laptop line arent much better than the Mini lineup, with everything soldered down and non upgradeable or fixable.

#9 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 20 October 2015 - 12:30 AM, said:

the new Laptop line arent much better than the Mini lineup, with everything soldered down and non upgradeable or fixable.

I can live with the trade offs on a portable. The size, weight, performance, and battery life of  the Air is still impressive. But in a desktop. *shrug* what does it matter if it's an inch thicker this way or that. It's just sitting there, I'm not lugging it around. In the case of the iMac the thickness is in a dimension that 99% of the time you don't even see.

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

In 10 years we will just be using our phones with docking stations (or wireless tech) instead of using any kind of dedicated computer for anything outside of ultra-high-end tasks. In 10 years I'm sure my iPhone will be just as powerful as the gaming PC I just sold.

#11 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

I'd love a SSD-based mini with an i5/i7 Iris Pro 6200 option. That'd be the business for me. Easily portable, with a choice of displays.

I use a i5/HD 4000 mini at work which has been a fantastically solid machine. It handles pretty challenging tasks (protein modelling and molecular graphics, for the most part) with ease. Something with a bit more GPU-oomph would be the icing on the cake.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#12 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

View Postnick68k, on 20 October 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

I'd love a SSD-based mini with an i5/i7 Iris Pro 6200 option. That'd be the business for me. Easily portable, with a choice of displays.

I use a i5/HD 4000 mini at work which has been a fantastically solid machine. It handles pretty challenging tasks (protein modelling and molecular graphics, for the most part) with ease. Something with a bit more GPU-oomph would be the icing on the cake.

Why not get the 13" rMBP then? It's more portable and is not any less (or more) upgradeable then the mini.

#13 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

Financial reasons mostly. The mini is around $500 cheaper (I work in academia and getting this stuff signed off isn't always easy).
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 20 October 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

In 10 years we will just be using our phones with docking stations (or wireless tech) instead of using any kind of dedicated computer for anything outside of ultra-high-end tasks. In 10 years I'm sure my iPhone will be just as powerful as the gaming PC I just sold.

This is a depressing future to me.  I have a little flip phone, don't store data, run apps, go online or anything else but using as a telephone for a select few people.  If I don't have them in my phone I don't pick up the call.  Never liked phones, my dad was super strict with them growing up and in the Marines I used a telephone like radio handset to blow people to smithereens with.  Both experiences were extremely unpleasant so my phone basically is a way to call for help when I'm stranded on the road or some other emergency happens.  They quit making telephone booths so I broke down and bought a cell phone.  Ugh.

Throw on top of that I don't want to put my life online, social sites are the bane of civilized man.  I've always been a private person.  When I see people out in public totally absorbed in their electronics, oblivious to their surroundings.  That makes me cringe, especially when I see a family at a restaurant doing it.  It's an illusion people, a distraction.  My god, set it down, live your life, and get back to it later when you have time alone to waste.  

Your future says that eventually I will have to give up my desktop when I can't get parts for it any more and become a phone zombie.  I'm just going to go in the other room now and shoot myself in the head a little.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

Have you seen my family!!!! I dun wanna talk to them. *Goes back to my phone.*

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 20 October 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

This is a depressing future to me.  I have a little flip phone, don't store data, run apps, go online or anything else but using as a telephone for a select few people.  If I don't have them in my phone I don't pick up the call.  Never liked phones, my dad was super strict with them growing up and in the Marines I used a telephone like radio handset to blow people to smithereens with.  Both experiences were extremely unpleasant so my phone basically is a way to call for help when I'm stranded on the road or some other emergency happens.  They quit making telephone booths so I broke down and bought a cell phone.  Ugh.

Throw on top of that I don't want to put my life online, social sites are the bane of civilized man.  I've always been a private person.  When I see people out in public totally absorbed in their electronics, oblivious to their surroundings.  That makes me cringe, especially when I see a family at a restaurant doing it.  It's an illusion people, a distraction.  My god, set it down, live your life, and get back to it later when you have time alone to waste.  

Your future says that eventually I will have to give up my desktop when I can't get parts for it any more and become a phone zombie.  I'm just going to go in the other room now and shoot myself in the head a little.

I'm not a huge fan of the addiction to phones modern society has (although I do like my iPhone 6...). The scenarios that you described at restaurants, family gatherings, friend's houses etc. are commonplace now and its actually rare to see normal human interaction in many places.

I was more speaking to the fact that in 10 years the iPhone is going to have the processing power of a MBP today, making it all anyone really needs for 95% of computing tasks. Laptops and desktops will still certainly exist and be a mainstream products, but I would be shocked if phones didn't start to become the most common piece of technology anyone needs (replacing the computer entirely). Take my wife for example: virtually everything she uses technology for is done on her phone (and actually done faster and easier on her phone then she can do it on her Macbook Air):
  • Browsing Facebook
  • Looking up recipes and baking examples
  • Netflix (airplay to apple TV)
  • Youtube (airplay to TV or just watch on phone)
  • Music (once again - airplay to TV or other wireless speaker)
  • Email (this would be easier on a computer if she had to compose emails, but she pretty much just has to read them and give short 1-2 sentence responses)
The singular thing she does that she prefers to do on the computer is photo-editing in Aperture (she has an entry level SLR that she just uses as a hobby). Now obviously I don't think that "well my wife does things this way so therefore every non-geek does things that way!", but I do think that she represents a pretty good example of the normal technology user.

I am about as techy/geeky as it gets with computers, and I still find myself looking forward to a future where I can do everything from a small device in my pocket. I work in IT and being able to walk up to a workstation, sit down at the desk, and just sign into my phone via the keyboard/mouse and monitor (which is just acting as a terminal to my phone, which is within proximity to it) and bring up all my files and applications is going to be amazing. From there I can talk to the user face to face and troubleshoot, access servers, play around with directory settings, etc. from my admin account without having to lug my laptop around or sign them out of their computer/account.

I'm still going to want some sort of powerful device at home for my gaming/computing needs, but I can't help but wonder at the possibility of even that becoming totally cloud based (think OnLive) in the next 10 years. Nvidia has their streaming tech starting up. Playstation has it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm looking forward to having an ultra-powerful computing device the size of my phone in my pocket that has all-day battery life that allows me to just need to use a set of peripherals and a monitor to access it at a desk instead of having to carry around a laptop and set it up wherever I go.

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

::tBC holds his nose and blows hard trying to squirt more blood out the cranial bullet hole::  What's taking so long?  ::jams a pencil in the hole::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

I was more speaking to the fact that in 10 years the iPhone is going to have the processing power of a MBP today, making it all anyone really needs for 95% of computing tasks. Laptops and desktops will still certainly exist and be a mainstream products, but I would be shocked if phones didn't start to become the most common piece of technology anyone needs (replacing the computer entirely). Take my wife for example: virtually everything she uses technology for is done on her phone (and actually done faster and easier on her phone then she can do it on her Macbook Air):
  • Browsing Facebook
  • Looking up recipes and baking examples
  • Netflix (airplay to apple TV)
  • Youtube (airplay to TV or just watch on phone)
  • Music (once again - airplay to TV or other wireless speaker)
  • Email (this would be easier on a computer if she had to compose emails, but she pretty much just has to read them and give short 1-2 sentence responses)
Tablets and phones (iOS, Android, Windows) are all so inferior to an OS X, Windows or even Linux box in my opinion: poor multitasking, single app displayed at a time (mostly, I know with some devices you can have two now, wow :rolleyes: ). They're handy while on the go, sure, and I can understand it's a good tool in a kitchen to look up a recipe, but otherwise what a pain to use. Simple and basic tasks like copy-paste are so slow and awkward with a mobile device. Writing is 3x times slower than typing on a keyboard (assuming one has learned to type with more than two fingers of course, even if not touch typing). Writing and editing this short forum answer with a mobile would have been such a pain I wouldn't have bothered.
Basically, these devices are mostly useful for consulting information (but even for browsing Internet sites, I prefer the standard computer), but are far from efficient for producing content.

#19 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

Not long ago my sister showed up at my front door. I was expecting her. I opened the door to greet her when she knocked only to find she was busy on a call on her iPhone. She just knocked to queue me up for when she was done with the call I guess. I remember saying out loud, "Are you serious? Are you even serious?"
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#20 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

In other on-topic news I am interested in what the next refresh looks like even though it is still early for me. I hope they beef them up though,
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell