DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:13 AM

I still think it is simply all about the money and whatever technical issues might be at play are just cost factors contributing to the decision.

Personally, I am very happy to see Blizzard moving toward console first with Diablo III and now with this as a Windows PC is not something that will ever be happening here. However, an Xbox One absolutely is. I plan to play this and Diablo III there. I'd love it if they ported WoW and StarCraft over too but I don't see that happening given the age of WoW and the twitch nature of SC2. Although SC2 could be fine if online play was segregated to keep the playing field level.

When checking out offerings for the Xbox One recently I was really pleased to find even games like Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin are available on the platform. It's too bad Pillars of Eternity isn't but you can't have everything on any platform. Probably going forward a combination of an Xbox One or PS4 and possibly a Steam machine coming up with give you really good coverage for gaming selection of all kinds.

I really am inclined to feel that AAA gaming on Mac may be in for a bit of a recession coming up as it is just going to be the least attractive platform to develop these games for due to the costs involved and the market size to sell to. This assumes that Steam OS takes off and eclipses Mac sales on Steam but I am thinking that is going to happen in the next couple of years pretty easily. For 500 bucks you can get an Alienware Steam Box and access a lot of great content now with plenty more in the pipeline for your PC games fix that might include such games as Civ 5 and Pillars which you can't get on other consoles. What is more, for Steam customers it is a pretty sure bet that with a Steam Box purchase many will instantly have a sizable library of games they like to play at zero cost thanks to Steamplay. This is quite a plus.

Meantime, it is clear what Apple's focus is and that is not AAA games we like to play. They are into games to be sure but it is the iOS gaming platform they will be supporting across the ecosystem and they are fine with choosing an area of focus and trying to do that very well. And there is a growing amount of good stuff there but it is often a different kind of experience. All that stuff though will work great on the kind of hardware they are selling across the board, including the Macs with on board GPUs. I honestly think that is all they really are serious about.

I don't think Blizzard is trying for force Apple to do anything nor is forcing Apple to do anything even an option, no matter who you are in the gaming world. They don't need them. It's important to be mindful of our minority status on this already small platform as a group of people who like AAA type games. I think it really all just boils down to the numbers at the end of the day.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#62 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

Apple might not "need" them, but I can bet that it's not pleasing some at Apple that a traditionally longstanding Mac developer has publically stated that the "technology behind Macs" is to blame. Even if they don't give a damn about gaming, I think they are aware GPU performance is becoming increasingly important. Cautiously optimistic that next year's Metal will address its shortcomings.

#63 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 07 November 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

I still think it is simply all about the money and whatever technical issues might be at play are just cost factors contributing to the decision.
The fact is Blizzard still maintains a permanent Mac team. They're getting paid the same whether Overwatch comes to OS X or not.

When posting about it, their lead said they were hiring for existing games (they're currently concentrating on bringing the existing engines to OpenGL 4 and Metal) as well as future games. It could be hot air, but I'm inclined to believe he was being genuine (it doesn't necessarily mean anything for Overwatch specifically, but I think it speaks against Blizzard moving away from Mac support altogether).

As for Apple, it was remarked once several years ago (I want to say when Brad Oliver briefly worked on the OpenGL team, but I can't remember for sure) that WoW had priority status (issues affecting WoW were treated as a priority by the team). That doesn't mean anything today, sure, but like I said, if there's a game company that Apple might make concessions for (as far as working on what to add and fix in OpenGL or Metal on OS X), it's going to be Blizzard.

#64 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostCougar, on 07 November 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

Apple might not "need" them, but I can bet that it's not pleasing some at Apple that a traditionally longstanding Mac developer has publically stated that the "technology behind Macs" is to blame.
This is the more embarrassing as Blizzard was one of the gaming companies that Apple flaunted to be onboard the Metal hype train during the WWDC presentation…

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#65 tcrown

tcrown

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 07 November 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

I really am inclined to feel that AAA gaming on Mac may be in for a bit of a recession coming up as it is just going to be the least attractive platform to develop these games for due to the costs involved and the market size to sell to.

This is such a tired argument if its so expensive to develop for and no money in Mac games why is Aspyr and Feral still around, why are all indies releasing for Mac/PC, why are Square, 2K, Warners releasing for Mac and making good quarterly profits? Macs are selling in record numbers every 1/4 while PC's are in decline, laptops above $1000 are 80% Macs, etc., etc.

SteamOS is DOA why invest $500+ on a linux box when you can get a console for $300 or less with guaranteed performance no tweeking.

DevSin hit it, that currently Metal is not quite up to snuff & Blizzard don't want a sub optimized release and are waiting on Apple.
Mac mini | 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 | 500GB | 16GB DDR3 | Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

#66 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

In the context of how popular iOS gaming is and how much money it brings in, I don't think embarrassment about some team shooter for PC and consoles exists at Apple honestly. It might seem a big deal to us but in the grand scheme of things I doubt very much that it is to them. As for WoW, that game was and even now still is in a different universe than OverWatch is not only in terms of genre but potential Mac users. I think it is safe to say that the most popular MMO by far in North America is understandably more important than a team shooter that would never do those kind of numbers on the Mac platform. This is why they will spend the money to move to Metal in anticipation I am sure of OpenGL's slow demise and the same for any other titles currently making money. Launching a new title that is not expected to make a lot of money doesn't make sense. People take this personally in some cases I think, as if they have been betrayed but it is just business. They are not now nor ever have been a charity organization. That I think is the hard truth of the matter that is understandably a bitter pill to swallow.

Like it or not, Apple has deliberately chosen to go with a closed graphics API standard that will work well across the ecosystem of their hardware going forward and is in fact supported by a very large library of games, if not what we might prefer as a rule. This is what they are selling and we can take it or leave it basically. From their point of view, so many people are taking it that I'm sure they are fine with it. Again, we are a minority among the Mac demographic as are PC gamers among PC users. What they have going for them though is a much larger installed base still for the time being at least but even there it is shrinking gradually.

Nobody wants to hear it but, "The Times They Are A' Changing"

Look at Feral and Aspyr. As I have said before, they sure did not take up porting to Linux for the tiny number of users running Linux and playing games although those folks make for a great trial run in preparation for where the real numbers and money will be: Steam OS. I would not underestimate the impact Steam OS and Steam Boxes are going to have in the coming years and what it will mean to Mac gamers who are almost certainly going to be largely relegated to hardware that is best suited to run iOS Metal API games. I think both companies have been very wise to prepare for this potential future.

Look at what Apple is doing. They even put integrated GPUs in retina iMacs now. They don't care about AAA gaming - at all. That's the reality. I don't care who shows what at WWDC when I see what they offer for hardware and what it costs just to hit midrange briefly because you cannot upgrade your throwaway 27" iMac.

I hate to be negative but I think I am just being realistic about what is going on and to me the thing to do is adapt rather than be upset by it. That doesn't help anyone to have fun. For what they offer, I really love Apple products. I absolutely have become a huge fan. That said, I have come to terms with the idea that this platform is too far from ideal for me to consider seriously anymore for my typical gaming needs. I'll run this iMac I own now until it dies I suppose or I break down and get a MacBook Air.

While the previous Witcher games did get ported for Mac (such as those ports were) and the first two Dragon Age games did, it is noteworthy that the latest and greatest installments are never going to be brought to Mac. It isn't worth it as hardly any Mac could run either of them decently. Things have admittedly been looking pretty good in recent years but I think that is changing now as the current console generation, DX 12 and the upcoming Vulkan API become factors which will greatly outpace what Mac hardware and available APIs are capable of. In other words, I would expect to see less AAA in the future because of these issues.

What i am saying might seem like i am out to lunch by some given what things look like today but in light of Apple's chosen focus and increasingly demanding AAA games I don't think I am really.

I think I am personally fine with it because I have reached a point where I like the idea of separating out my personal computing and gaming to the point of doing it on different hardware systems. It's a lot more cost effective and offers a really great experience to buy dedicated gaming hardware in conjunction with whatever Mac works for you in my opinion. And you can still play some stuff on that Mac too. I just would not consider it a primary source of video gaming entertainment unless one is okay with a increasingly limited number of options which I think we are just starting to see happen now with the games I mentioned and the one being discussed in this thread.

I think I have said this before too, that the hardest thing for an old timer who's been at this for a lot of years is making the leap to using a controller. I think that is a real barrier for some and I can understand that too. However, I can also say that having spent more and more time using one it really does become a natural and enjoyable way to play with less crap to remember as well. I like them now except I do still suck very badly at shooters and need a lot of practice there before that comes natural to me but seeing how my nephews do that I am sure I'll get there with time.

#67 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

View Posttcrown, on 07 November 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

This is such a tired argument if its so expensive to develop for and no money in Mac games why is Aspyr and Feral still around, why are all indies releasing for Mac/PC, why are Square, 2K, Warners releasing for Mac and making good quarterly profits? Macs are selling in record numbers every 1/4 while PC's are in decline, laptops above $1000 are 80% Macs, etc., etc.

SteamOS is DOD why invest $500+ on a linux box when you can get a console for $300 or less with guaranteed performance no tweeking.

DevSin hit it, that currently Metal is not quite up to snuff & Blizzard don't want a sub optimized release and are waiting on Apple.

Well, one could also ask:

Why are Aspyr and Feral now both developing for Linux? There are far less Linux users (for now) so why are they doing that do you suppose?

Why are so many Indies available for Mac? Well, probably because so many of them are developed with cross platform software like Unity, Flash and Abobe Air for one thing. It is probably also because many of these are far simpler projects than a AAA game is. In fairness though, where an actual native port is made I'm sure they do anticipate making enough money for it to be worth it to them. These folks are small potatoes though and will go after smaller amounts of revenue than the big fish will which is why you do not see EA, Ubisoft or Bethesda actively developing for Mac at all with the exception of The Sims at this point which being a good money maker on this platform I presume apparently still makes sense to EA.

You don't see Assassin's Creed or anything else Ubisoft though, do you? You won't be seeing Fallout 4 despite the rosy picture you just painted. Why is that do you think? You won't see Doom 4 either. You won't see The Witcher 3 and you won't see Dragon Age Inquisition. All this AAA by the big players is not coming to Mac for one simple reason: it isn't worth doing. I'm sorry. I do wish it was but I know that it if was they would be. They aren't and that says it all.

I think you are wrong if you think Steam OS isn't going to take off. I think it will. I guess we'll see who winds up being right about that.

I don't know where you can buy a PS4 or a Xbox One with sufficient storage and accessories like the cable to plug it in, etc. for 300 bucks. I would like to though. Try 500. That is more like it and also the entry point for a Alienware Steam Box not surprisingly. Find me a Mac that can play the games those boxes can for 500 bucks, you know? I can buy a nice MacBook Air and one of those boxes and be golden for less than an iMac with crappy performance. Just because Mac sales are up that does not equate to Mac AAA gamers are up in any numbers large enough for the likes of the companies I have mentioned to pay any attention to which again is exactly why they do not.

I can see how my opinions might be quite unwelcome in some quarters but I honestly feel I am just telling it like it is.

#68 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

Blizzard has committed to using Metal on existing titles in the not-too distant future. It makes sense to have one core Blizzard team working on that, and it makes a lot of sense to have them concentrate on porting one or two older, less graphically demanding, stable games.

Having that team also work on OverWatch would have added a lot of risk: it spreads the Metal team thin; it puts them on the front-line of trying to ship a brand new game on time; and they probably wouldn't be able to ship the Mac version at the same time as the other platforms anyway. Metal is too new to make such promises, I think. When they finally do port OverWatch the code will be stable, Metal will have any necessary bug fixes, and Blizzard will have in-house expertise on it.

Given the newness of Metal and the relative size of the Mac gaming market, I think Blizzard is right to proceed cautiously. The fact that they are committed to move older titles to Metal is more than I would have hoped for, to be honest. Provided OverWatch game does well on other platforms, and Metal on Mac isn't completely FUBAR'd  I expect we'll see a Mac version of OverWatch within a year of the PC version.

As to whether this signals a return to the bad old days of Blizzard porting to Mac long after PC versions are released, I don't think we can judge yet. If it happens again after Metal is in widespread use, then I will believe it.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#69 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

I don't think SteamOS is going to go anywhere, but Valve has reportedly been throwing a lot of money around to try to build up the library.

I'm sure Feral and Aspyr got into it because the demand is there (though they're probably not getting any of the Valve money; I suspect that's all going to the PC publishers), but there's no way to gauge if there's an actual market for it yet.

View PostMatt Diamond, on 07 November 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

As to whether this signals a return to the bad old days of Blizzard porting to Mac long after PC versions are released, I don't think we can judge yet. If it happens again after Metal is in widespread use, then I will believe it.
I'm hopeful this is just temporary. Overwatch simply came at a bad time (right in the middle of Apple's unexpected but still mandatory migration to a new graphics API) for them to be able to do anything about it.

That said, Blizzard only has one (very small) Mac team that is responsible for everything they release on OS X. So it shouldn't really be a case of a "core team" focusing on only a couple games (and they've already made good progress on Metal renderers for all the current 64-bit games, even if they can't quite switch them on yet), though it very well may be the case that they simply have no time to work on new games yet.

#70 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:16 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 07 November 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

However, I can also say that having spent more and more time using one it really does become a natural and enjoyable way to play with less crap to remember as well. I like them now except I do still suck very badly at shooters and need a lot of practice there before that comes natural to me but seeing how my nephews do that I am sure I'll get there with time.
It's not because one can get accustomed to playing shooters with a controller, that it's the most adequate tool for the job compared to mouse/keyboard combo. You can cut meat with the side of a fork (when the meat isn't too thick or full of nerves), but a knife is obviously better. I can understand how for an action-adventure or racing game a controller is more suited than mouse and keyboard, but not for FPS or RTS games.

#71 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:33 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 08 November 2015 - 01:16 AM, said:

It's not because one can get accustomed to playing shooters with a controller, that it's the most adequate tool for the job compared to mouse/keyboard combo. You can cut meat with the side of a fork (when the meat isn't too thick or full of nerves), but a knife is obviously better. I can understand how for an action-adventure or racing game a controller is more suited than mouse and keyboard, but not for FPS or RTS games.

I am thinking you have not watched someone who is adept at playing FPS games with a controller dominate online. My nephews make it look as easy and natural as using a mouse and keyboard combination. I get what you are saying I think in terms of precision but on an equal playing field of controller users it becomes irrelevant. I think even a lot of strategy can work there aside of as you mention, RTS with the use of a lot of hotkeys that isn't doable with a controller. Then again, with a UI designed for a controller and a level playing field it could work but it would not be the same experience as on PC.

I don't mean that I think the console platform can necessarily do everything but then I don't think any platform does it all best. I do think though that for a great deal of AAA a console is a great and cost effective way to go for a broad range of games.

#72 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:15 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 08 November 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

I am thinking you have not watched someone who is adept at playing FPS games with a controller dominate online. My nephews make it look as easy and natural as using a mouse and keyboard combination.
I don't think you have watched someone playing with keyboard and mouse completely dominating players with a controller on a really equal playing field, i.e. when they is no aim assist. And console FPS always have aim assist. :P

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#73 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

Don't dis my aim assist bruh.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#74 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

It has been shown to be true that those guys who use aim assist also throw like a girl.  And I didn't make that up just now either.*

*I made it up earlier.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#75 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 07 November 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Well, one could also ask:

Why are Aspyr and Feral now both developing for Linux? There are far less Linux users (for now) so why are they doing that do you suppose?

Well, money, obviously. There's some overlap in Mac/Linux development, so the numbers obviously work out for them despite the lower user base. And for all we know, maybe Valve is throwing money at them so SteamOS stands a chance (still don't think it does.)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say...Aspyr sees the writing on the wall, so they're going to jump ship to...Linux? Doesn't make much sense considering Linux's share is even smaller, as you state.

You don't see Assassin's Creed or anything else Ubisoft though, do you? You won't be seeing Fallout 4 despite the rosy picture you just painted. Why is that do you think? You won't see Doom 4 either. You won't see The Witcher 3 and you won't see Dragon Age Inquisition. All this AAA by the big players is not coming to Mac for one simple reason: it isn't worth doing. I'm sorry. I do wish it was but I know that it if was they would be. They aren't and that says it all.

Yes, and...? There have been big AAA-game omissions since the beginning of time. Bethesda's higher ups hate the Mac. Again, that doesn't equate to Mac gaming declining in any appreciable way. If you're pointing out omissions in the latest titles of series, we have three companies who all pushed out crappy ports which were not maintained. If they didn't sell, no surprise there. Meanwhile, series done by Aspyr and Feral are all getting the latest releases ported--Civ, Xcom, Arkham Knight, Borderlands, etc.

The new console generation definitely makes it more plausible that some companies are waiting the Mac out for the next few years, though. If Witcher 3 were to be ported, I wouldn't play it in OS X anyway because of performance (even with my 970) and missing graphical effects. But it's not going to be a lasting trend.

#76 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 08 November 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

I don't think you have watched someone playing with keyboard and mouse completely dominating players with a controller on a really equal playing field, i.e. when they is no aim assist. And console FPS always have aim assist. :P

I would not need to watch anything to know that outcome there. What is your point though? That is not how it typically works. Console gamers on Xbox live are not competing with Windows gamers using mice and keyboards. So my point still stands. The experience is still fair and just as much fun. If it sucked, it wouldn't be popular but it is, far more popular than FPS on PC. That's the fact of the matter. I acknowledge the issue of precision but made the point that it doesn't count for anything on a level playing field and normally the playing field is level.

#77 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 November 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

It has been shown to be true that those guys who use aim assist also throw like a girl.  And I didn't make that up just now either.*

Don't dis my throwing like a girl bruh.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#78 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostCougar, on 08 November 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

Well, money, obviously. There's some overlap in Mac/Linux development, so the numbers obviously work out for them despite the lower user base. And for all we know, maybe Valve is throwing money at them so SteamOS stands a chance (still don't think it does.)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say...Aspyr sees the writing on the wall, so they're going to jump ship to...Linux? Doesn't make much sense considering Linux's share is even smaller, as you state.

Yes, and...? There have been big AAA-game omissions since the beginning of time. Bethesda's higher ups hate the Mac. Again, that doesn't equate to Mac gaming declining in any appreciable way. If you're pointing out omissions in the latest titles of series, we have three companies who all pushed out crappy ports which were not maintained. If they didn't sell, no surprise there. Meanwhile, series done by Aspyr and Feral are all getting the latest releases ported--Civ, Xcom, Arkham Knight, Borderlands, etc.

The new console generation definitely makes it more plausible that some companies are waiting the Mac out for the next few years, though. If Witcher 3 were to be ported, I wouldn't play it in OS X anyway because of performance (even with my 970) and missing graphical effects. But it's not going to be a lasting trend.

Yes, it is obviously money but not in the short term was my point. It is all about strategic positioning for a future where developing for Linux is going to be much more important and much more profitable presumably. I'd guess they are not operating at a loss taking into account the work done to port to OpenGL anyway (although Linux poses its own unique driver issues at times) but I doubt the amount of money made there presently is the driving reason for management to elect to do this now.

I don't know why people seem to think that Valve is throwing money at developers and hardware manufacturer's as if they are paying them to adopt Steam OS, etc. I highly doubt any of that is true. They are marketing to them successfully a future with a lot of money to be made. I have a hard time believing they are paying anybody anything to develop Linux games or Steam Boxes but I am sure they are working with them on a technical level, etc. to bring this all together in a fashion that benefits all the players involved. These companies are all looking ahead at the future and are aware that a shrinking presence of personal computers as we know them now in people's homes is something that will inevitably impact them all. Smart businesses don't wait for stuff to happen to them you know? I think that is a lot of what is going on here myself. I am talking about a long period of time coming up, not a short period of time necessarily. I don't mean that I think this will all unfold in the coming year or two for example but I do believe PC gaming is very gradually going to be phased out and this is just the very early beginning of that happening. Maybe I will turn out to be wrong but this is where I believe things are headed.

So, I am not trying to say either Aspyr or Feral mean to jump ship to a smaller Linux market by any means. I do think though that sure, they do see the writing on the wall and it impacts their long range planning. What I think they are doing is broadening their horizons in anticipation of Steam OS taking off and also potentially Mac development becoming more problematic as features needed to port current AAA are missing from APIs available on the platform and even more importantly an installed base of hardware and subset of users who can even run any of this stuff they are able to port will remain small or even shrink if Apple keeps making hardware that does not include dedicated GPUs on anything but the few most expensive systems. This idea too is not just taking present circumstances into account so much as it is looking forward. Taken another way, why would they wait to start developing for a platform many companies are also investing in and miss the boat potentially at least at first? This is a perfect time to have started with Linux development and there probably is enough Linux buyers to fund their transitions as well. The timing is ideal but I don't think it had much to do with seeing development for Linux games in a bubble that does not take into account Steam OS. I think it's been all about Steam OS upcoming.

I don't think the heavy hitters are doing much with this yet for the same reasons they don't do anything with Mac OS X. They do so much console business they can wait and see and that probably makes more sense for them initially. If Steam OS does take off I could see them getting on board though far more readily than them ever bothering with OS X. Given OS X has it's own API with Metal you have to wonder at what point companies evaluating the options will want to bother with yet another port for a market with so few computers that can run AAA well.

I don't think Bethesda's higher ups hate any platform particularly. They simply go where the money is. There's no emotion involved. There's no element of personal preference. They are business managers and that's what they do. As the saying goes, it's nothing personal just business. You are absolutely right too about those crappy ports which were done in such a half-baked way because it was cheap. Doing it on the cheap was the only way they would do it at all for a market this size and now those options aren't even worth it anymore probably more because of hardware limitations more than anything else. How many Macs would run Dragon Age Inquisition well at native resolutions and high settings? Of that number of Macs, how many of the owners would want to buy and play that game? Very few in total is the likely answer so why bother when they make huge amounts of money elsewhere?

I do understand what you mean by the bright note that is all the good development done by Feral and Aspyr. I'd add Blizzard there as well personally. I consider these three companies in particular to largely be Mac gaming's salvation myself. We'd be pretty screwed without them really in my opinion. What happens though when even they are hamstrung by decisions that Apple makes? I'm not sure I agree with you about the current situation being a trend that isn't going to last when Apple is clearly all about iOS across the ecosystem and its API for graphics. Understandably I'd expect their interests to typically be focused on whatever API development provides most benefit across the ecosystem as a whole and that might not always be in step with what could be needed for development of AAA on OS X. I don't know that of course but I do consider it a possibility that if an iPhone can't do something they may not care that much about whether a Mac can beyond the needs of professional applications by the likes of Adobe, etc.

Anyway, I think I am going to let my own opinions about all this stuff take a rest now which maybe some of you will be happy to hear about. Haha! I don't want to be a downer and I sure don't want to upset anyone. I like you guys and enjoy talking with you about all things gaming whether it be on Mac or Windows or whatever. All this stuff I've had to say is just how I happen to interpret things but I do realize it could all play out differently too. We'll just have to see. It sure will be an interesting ride I think but I've thought that all along from the time I got my very first computer and marveled at the games I could play on the thing as simple as they were.

So that's enough doom and gloom out of me. As my dad often says, "Accentuate the positive!" So I think I'll stick to other subjects about what's playing, etc. now. For me that happens to be an Aspyr port of a classic Star Wars shooter: Jedi Academy and because I went and did it again, probably some Windows games it was bugging me to toss out. For me and for the foreseeable future the problem isn't where Mac gaming is going anyway. The problem is me just trying to catch up with all the stuff I already own. It's a nice problem to have. I'm grateful for this.

View Postmacdude22, on 09 November 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

Don't dis my throwing like a girl bruh.

Catch! :juggle:

#79 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 09 November 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

What is your point though?
Mainly that it only looks so easy and natural when you nephews play their console FPSs because the games massively help. There's a quite insightful video about the aim assist in the recently released Halo 5:

With some variations, that's basically what you have in all console FPSs.

#80 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Good. I need the help. I play games to feel badass not be badass. I am just want to have fun.