Assassin's Creed games on sale @Steam. Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:21 PM

Actually a lot of stealth games are on sale today. But I'm wondering which AC games are best to play. Brief recap: I recently tried AC2:Brotherhood for Mac and found that it is no longer playable. Something broke since I bought it because I had played 30 minutes of it years ago and also all of AC2.

So here's my chance to get AC2:B for Windows cheaply so I can finally play it. But there are so many other AC games now, I should probably stick to the best ones. Which are..?

I loved AC2, especially climbing around huge historical cities with recognizeable landmarks. Not sure if AC3 or 4 have cities like that. OTOH I believe AC4 got excellent reviews.

Actually I own AC4 for Windows already; got a free copy with my GTX 680 Mac Edition(?!) So I could just play that. But are any of the other ones particularly worthwhile?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

I've played the ACs through brotherhood, and Brotherhood was my favorite because I thought the gameplay was a bit more varied and I love Rome (so even stronger on the historical front). Never bothered with revelations because I grew tired of the same old gameplay (and the plot was getting ridiculous), but it does wrap up Ezio's story. AC3 is probably skippable, I've heard the story is bad and the characters are annoying.

But yes, AC4 is supposed to be good, especially if you like Pirates and naval battles. Historical stuff, not so much. I'd say play it since you have it, and then if you really want more AC after that go back to Brotherhood.

#3 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:08 AM

From a gameplay perspective, Black Flag is by far the best Assassin's Creed game. The story isn't earth-shattering, but the characters are likeable and if you're into the Caribbean/Pirates setting it's an easy recommendation. I've played the game for 100+ hours and I'm at 98% synchronization. I still have to beat the legendary ships though. :D
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#4 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:38 AM

Thanks! I think I'll pick up Brotherhood for cheap then, maybe play that when I need a parkour-on-historic-monuments fix. Between that and AC4 I should be good.

(This particular sale goes on until Oct 16th btw.)

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

I too had gotten AC4 (Black Flag) with my GPU purchase, and so I began the long trek of "where to start". I ended up buying AC and AC2 on a dirt-cheap steam sale. I really did enjoy AC 1, and it laid the ground on the whole genre and overall story arch (its kind of like the overall story that happens on top of an episodic TV series).

Then I took a break after AC 1, because honestly you need to take a break between games or you can burn out on the constant wandering of huge areas. Then I played AC 2, and the end of that was an awesome what the fragginlicious moment. I ended up then buying Brotherhood since its supposed to extend the localized story of "Ezio", the character of rome. I had mixed feelings on brotherhood's story ... it seemed more of a game you play, than pay attention to whatever is going on. It was kind of hashed.

I do not have revelations as I heard it was pretty bad (worse if you didnt care for brotherhood as much).

So, I've been on my 'break' before I start into AC3 which I also have/grabbed at a dirt cheap sale during my time playing AC1 and 2.

So recommendations? Well ....... all of them really. Up to Black Flag. After Black Flag I dunno, it seems like its gone all the way of squirrely from there and may be hard to continue following. However the first 4 games should be a lot of content and time spent having fun.

(fun, after you get used to the oddball control schemes!)

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

I was interested in Revelations because it takes you to Constantinople, which looks gorgeous in the screenshots. But I'd probably have to play a lot of the game to unlock most of it, and I have to draw the line somewhere.

Seems to me there'd be a market for a "parkour in famous cities" game. Take the cities from all the AC2 games, keep the population, and the guards chasing you, but take out combat. By all means include secrets and unlockables, but don't make me wade through a long story to gain access. Sort of a cross between Tony Hawk and Assassin's Creed.

(Which reminds me to give Mirror's Edge another try. I stopped after the training level, was having trouble adjusting to the controls and I thought I would enjoy it more at some point in the future.)

Thanks for all the AC tips so far!

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

Heh, I gave up on Mirrors Edge too. The controls just did not sync with me, and for a game that is heavy on quick reflexes and reactions... well, I was just not even able to get up a simple double jump wall it was so bad. SOME DAY I tell myself, I will load it back up and try again. But, not this day.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

I'd stay start at AC1 and go upwards. I've played AC1 through 4 (that's, despite the numerotation, seven PC games), and enjoyed them all. I prefer playing series in order and not miss an episode.
I need a new graphics card for the newer AC games, the GTX 680 won't cut it at max detail in 1440p (it was beginning to struggle even with AC4).

Mirror's Edge was awesome!

Funny which games are in this stealth Steam promotion: Far Cry series, really?! Even Crysis... Well you can cloak, but it's a shooter first.

#9 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

If I had lots more free time, and less tendinitis in my mouse hand, I'd happily play all of them. But it pays for me to be picky. Even having two of them on my backlog is a stretch.

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:51 AM

I can relate to that. I played the first one not too long ago finally and I really enjoyed the game. I loved the world and the gameplay. Honestly, the story didn't do much for me personally. It's a pretty silly premise really in my opinion but whatever. What counts is that it was a highly entertaining experience and the graphics were beautiful too I thought. I wrote elsewhere here not long ago that i had problems trying to run either of the next two installments which I own in Yosemite at the time. So I did install AC2 in Windows 10 and hopefully it works well there. I am planning to play that pretty soon after I get through some other stuff.

While I have rarely managed it yet, I do favor the idea of playing through a series in order over time but realistically there won't be many I manage that for due to time constraints and so many other titles I'd like to experience too. I am thinking though that the AC series is one I just might make the effort to see all of if it continues to be as engaging as I found the first game.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#11 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2460 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:33 AM

Part of my problem is that I can't resist side missions. AC2 has a lot of those, excuses to run around the cities basically, secrets and powerups to find, and achievements for finding a way up certain landmarks, so it was l-o-n-g game for me. I don't think I could take playing all the AC games (or even just the AC2 games) back-to-back.

It's been a decent interval though so I'm looking forward to playing it some more. I suspect I won't finish AC2:B and will move on to AC4 once I've had my fix, but maybe it'll suck me in.

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

Brotherhood introduced an easier way to find all that random items, by buying maps and information. AC2 had no such luck, neither did AC1... making them very time consuming to find everything laying about.

I am the same way with these large open-world like games. I have to play all the content, even if some side missions are stupid. I have to complete them. I try my best to get 100% complete in these kinda games. Which makes them last much much longer. Sadly though in doing that, I rarely have the eagerness to return and re-play the game. Which I guess is fine ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#13 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:17 PM

For those who like competition, beginning from AC: Brotherhood and AC: Revelations even more, there's a strong multiplayer aspect. It's very unlike fast paced shooters: here everyone's trying to be as discreet as possible (except newbies who run around like crazy and get slaughtered :D ). Some story content and videos are also unlocked by gaining levels in MP.

#14 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 15 October 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

Brotherhood introduced an easier way to find all that random items, by buying maps and information. AC2 had no such luck, neither did AC1... making them very time consuming to find everything laying about.
I remember buying maps in AC2? I am quite sure I would never have found most stuff if I didn't have those! That game was just soooo big..
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#15 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:40 PM

I dont believe AC2 had the ability... I thought they introduced it in brotherhood. Cause I recall having to use a wiki map guide to find all the obscure hidden treasures in ac1 and 2....

I could be wrong though. They all tend to start blending together.

-Fm [1oM7]

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

I never attempt to 100% anything. I am a hardcore underachiever. I just do whatever I feel like as i go along which means I do some stuff I encounter along the way that is not required because it interests me at the time but I just don't have it in me to pursue achievements in bulk, find all this, that or the other thing, etc. For me, that would suck the fun right out of a game. I do think it is cool the stuff is there because again I do sometimes grab various optional quests or missions for the heck of it while going about my merry way through a story or whatever.

The thing I enjoy about achievements in games is how the pop up unexpectedly for me where I was not aware of them or pursuing them to begin with. I like it when they just happen on their own as I play but of course I don't get anywhere near all of them playing that way. I don't think I ever get even half of them but I am fine with that.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell