Jump to content


New Retina iMacs Released - 4K 21.5", 5K 27"


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 mattw

mattw

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:08 AM

Not sure what performance will be like but I'd assume 1080p would be the best resolution so it scales to the pixels and doesn't look blurry?
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#22 nick68k

nick68k

    Notorious

  • IMG Writers
  • 245 posts
  • Location:Not here. But close.

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 01 November 2015 - 01:35 AM, said:

That really shouldn't come as a surprise.

I dunno. I was surprised that a (supposedly) top of the line integrated GPU offered no better performance than a five year old discrete part (and the mobile version of that GPU, to boot).

That said, oddly, other games run very well on this system. The Tomb Raider reboot, War in the North and Legends of the Sword Coast show significant FPS increases. So maybe it's a Blizzard thing (or the games showing improvement on the 4k box were CPU limited previously). I will investigate further...

View Postmattw, on 01 November 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

Not sure what performance will be like but I'd assume 1080p would be the best resolution so it scales to the pixels and doesn't look blurry?

Weirdly, resolutions between 1080p and 4k give sharper images than straight 1080p, at least for Blizzard games. I don't know what's up with that.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#23 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:30 AM

It's a real shame that they didn't at least include a mid-range mobile GPU like the 950M or something like that. It wouldn't be great, but it would be a hell of a lot faster the 6200

EDIT: Does anyone believe that Apple and Nvidia had a falling out over something? An Nvidia chip has not been sold in a new Mac since 2013 (lower end iMacs, 15" rMBP) and every product update that Apple does features either Intel or AMD graphics.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#24 nick68k

nick68k

    Notorious

  • IMG Writers
  • 245 posts
  • Location:Not here. But close.

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 02 November 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

Does anyone believe that Apple and Nvidia had a falling out over something? An Nvidia chip has not been sold in a new Mac since 2013 (lower end iMacs, 15" rMBP) and every product update that Apple does features either Intel or AMD graphics.

I guess we can only speculate. All we can say is that the 4K 21.5" isn't targeted at the serious end of the 'gaming community', whatever that may be. The 4K is a superb productivity machine, no doubt about that.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#25 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 02 November 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

EDIT: Does anyone believe that Apple and Nvidia had a falling out over something? An Nvidia chip has not been sold in a new Mac since 2013 (lower end iMacs, 15" rMBP) and every product update that Apple does features either Intel or AMD graphics.
I think Apple got tired of having to recall all their laptops with nVidia chips in them.. :P
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#26 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:05 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 November 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

I think Apple got tired of having to recall all their laptops with nVidia chips in them.. :P

There have been recalls on the AMD GPU's as well. 15" and 17" MBP's from 2011 (6750M and 6770M) for example currently have 'recall' active.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#27 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:00 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 02 November 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:



There have been recalls on the AMD GPU's as well. 15" and 17" MBP's from 2011 (6750M and 6770M) for example currently have 'recall' active.
Yes, but not nearly as many.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#28 Cougar

Cougar

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 02 November 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

EDIT: Does anyone believe that Apple and Nvidia had a falling out over something? An Nvidia chip has not been sold in a new Mac since 2013 (lower end iMacs, 15" rMBP) and every product update that Apple does features either Intel or AMD graphics.

Well, Steve was pissed at AMD (well, ATI) ever since they leaked product information. Maybe it's not there was a falling out with nVidia, but there is no longer a grudge. But I suspect the real reason is much more mundane. Better deals? AMD is in a more desperate situation than nVidia. What was the reason console makers went with AMD?

No, I've got it: Apple is pissed at nVidia for maintaining Web Drivers, which lets the huge, thriving Mac Gamer base lap up old Mac Pros and build hackintoshes in record-number with Maxwell graphics, crippling iMac and Trash Can MP sales!

#29 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostCougar, on 03 November 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

Well, Steve was pissed at AMD (well, ATI) ever since they leaked product information. Maybe it's not there was a falling out with nVidia, but there is no longer a grudge. But I suspect the real reason is much more mundane. Better deals? AMD is in a more desperate situation than nVidia. What was the reason console makers went with AMD?

No, I've got it: Apple is pissed at nVidia for maintaining Web Drivers, which lets the huge, thriving Mac Gamer base lap up old Mac Pros and build hackintoshes in record-number with Maxwell graphics, crippling iMac and Trash Can MP sales!

The hackintosh juggernaut will surely topple Apple as we know it! Behold! Ye have been warned!

Seriously though I wish I had time to build and maintain a hackintosh
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#30 Cougar

Cougar

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 03 November 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Seriously though I wish I had time to build and maintain a hackintosh

I don't, but I do it anyway.

Actually, once the research and building is done, it's really not that bad. You spend a frustrating weekend or two when you upgrade a significant part or install a major update .x update, but day-to-day maintenance is the same. Windows can be just as bad, TBH. Spent just as long trying to get my 970 up and running as I did trying to get sleep to work in Windows, and I gave up on the latter (and now Windows isn't loading with my new Bootloader I needed to install for El Cap; need to fix that somehow).