#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

What are some other games out there that are like the Ages of Mythology, Ages of Empires, games?

And, do they have some way to cheat for resources in them? I dont get into any RTS games unless they have a way to cheat resources at some point, as they all end up becoming too ridiculously hard. Cheating for me, makes a RTS game actually far more fun for me to enjoy. SO its a bonus if there are cheats for such.

I don't think I would be interested in ANY game thats a top down of a global map, and everything is just some number. Same goes for everything being locked in some gigantic hex grid.

So is there anything out there? Surly theres some good ones out there?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

Stop calling me Shirley and no I don't know of any cheaty pants RTS for you to play.  Back in my day son we took the oath and punched all the switches and never used a bullet when we could have used a grenade.  Don't know what they been teachin ya in that fancy dance school of yourn but I can tell ya this, if Earth is invaded by the Svorn hoard this planet is goin' teats up fast.  Cheat all ya want but when a Svorn Ulfthar melts your cortex with a mental cyber attack then it's game over.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

I know it's older, but did you ever play StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty? Heart of the Swarm was kind of meh to me, but I enjoyed the absolute hell out of Wings of Liberty's campaign; one of those RTS campaigns I could play over and over. Coop was a lot of fun too.

The competitive scene makes it a lot of rush rush go crazy rush, but playing single player or coop you can go slow and build up big bases and that sort of thing if that's how you like to play.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

View PostFrost, on 11 October 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

I know it's older, but did you ever play StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty? Heart of the Swarm was kind of meh to me, but I enjoyed the absolute hell out of Wings of Liberty's campaign; one of those RTS campaigns I could play over and over. Coop was a lot of fun too.

The competitive scene makes it a lot of rush rush go crazy rush, but playing single player or coop you can go slow and build up big bases and that sort of thing if that's how you like to play.

Did we just call StarCraft II older. What year is it?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:03 PM

Hehe. Of all the game types I play, RTS are pretty much the only ones I looked for ways to cheat at the resources. Once I could have unlimited resources, then I could actually end up enjoying the game genre.

I never did try the starcraft 2.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 11 October 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

Hehe. Of all the game types I play, RTS are pretty much the only ones I looked for ways to cheat at the resources. Once I could have unlimited resources, then I could actually end up enjoying the game genre.

I never did try the starcraft 2.

In case you were not already aware of this, there is a free starter edition of the game with part of the campaign to play free so you can see how you like it before spending on it.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:26 PM

I recently played Age of Empires III in a Wine wrapper (thanks to DirtyHarry50.) It has a system where your home city sends you resources you request every now and then, or military units if you prefer. That's not cheating of course. I did find it useful to get out of jams when I suddenly unexpectedly ran out of trees to chop or gold to mine. It just made the game more forgiving.

Too bad no native Mac version; it ran kind of slowly under VMWare, and fast under WINE but with glitches such as inaudible dialog for story missions.

Maybe you just need to play at an "easy" difficulty setting. Or have you already tried that?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:08 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 11 October 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

Too bad no native Mac version; …
What the hell am I playing then? :P (In all fairness: it's no longer available, but still ran fine with Yosemite – I have yet to test it with El Capitan.)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:15 AM

Starcraft 1 has an amazing RTS campaign, and runs on anything modern with a wrapper.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:33 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 October 2015 - 01:08 AM, said:

What the hell am I playing then? :P (In all fairness: it's no longer available, but still ran fine with Yosemite – I have yet to test it with El Capitan.)
Thanks for the correction. Yeah, I woke up this morning thinking, why the eff did I write that? I remember the MacSoft version perfectly well, and had the demo on my drive for years. They stopped selling it so I got the Windows version during a Steam sale.

The brain works in mysterious ways, but lately it seems like my brain STOPS working in mysterious ways.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#11 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:50 AM

I usually try the easy settings. I tried it in those strong hold games, and it was relentlessly tough. I would send 40 guys in, and they would all die to 10 enemies. So I gave up on that after wave and wave of defeat.

I like amassing a huge city/village/army and then methodically going around and doing genecide on all other inhabitants. Its what I find enjoyable... and most of those RTS never let you get that far or do that due to all manner of time-limits (FU stronghold), or resources running out, or the AI just ends up coming in and wiping you out mid stream.

I have played Warcraft 1 2 and that aweful 3, and I did play Starcraft 1 and have no real ambition to go back and play sprite based games with todays tech ;-) I'm kind of spoiled.

The Ages of Empires, and Ages of Mythology games were actually great, and fun and needed very little if any cheating along the way. I liked them. Wished they carried their torch further and kept upgrading the engine and kept going with it.

-Fm [1oM7]

#12 RGoulder

RGoulder

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

Well there is this game called 0 A.D. an open source RTS very similar to Age of Empires only with 3d graphics. It is still in development so it may be a little rough in spots but it seems fun in the brief time I've played it thus far. And yes there are cheats :D

http://play0ad.com

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:36 PM

Hmm.

I already have the never-to-be-finished GODUS game... don't need another ;) I'll wait till its released. Although I will keep an eye on it, it does look pretty interesting!

-Fm [1oM7]