Where's the fricka frakin frak are my Serious Sam 3 saves?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

I want to start a new game of Serious Sam 3 because I started out on too high of a difficulty setting and I've reached a fight that is impossible to survive.  The only way to start a new game is to rename or remove the Serious Sam 3 saves folder... but for the life of me I can't find them!  I would very much appreciate the directory path to the SS3 save folder.

Now the thing is, I've played this game for a bit in windows and gave up trying to find the save folder so I thought I'd try playing the Mac version which I hadn't run yet (figured I'd get a new game) but it turns out it is reading the save files from my Windows game sessions.

Are these saves stored in my Steam account by any chance?  It would explain how such a thing could happen but I've never heard of that before.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

This game might be using the steam cloud for saves.

To disable that, you need to right click the game in steam and select 'properties', then find on the mess of tabs and areas in there where it says something about use steam cloud for saves, then disable that.

I honestly don't know what happens to CURRENT saves when you do.... it might blow them out, or it might have a backup local copy it uses at that time, which then you have to hunt down where its being saved haha. Steam mucks things up when it does its cloud stuff.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:53 PM

I hate clouds, never use them.  It was in the updates tab of the properties window.  Sure steam, that makes sense, I'll have what you are drinking.

...and turning cloud sync off didn't work.

...neither did turning off steam overlay.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

Well that sucks, trapped in a "suicide pit" without a chance of survival.  The rocket boss fight started while I was outside gathering ammo health and armor.  A cut scene started and now I'm trapped inside with low health, armor, and ammo.  Not to mention I hadn't cleaned it out first, the monsters were still mostly there in the arena, hadn't cleaned but about half of em out.  I don't want to start that fight again without full everything and a lower difficulty setting.  And frak you game for yanking me into a boss fight when I'm not ready.

Other than that the game is just right, a glory to play.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

Well, the cloud sync was to prevent it from saving your saved game and showing up on new installs of the game, but since you had already installed the game, it must have a cached local copy of the saved games somewhere... which means prolly buried in that popsnizzlestorm mess of folders inside that steam folder.

You'd think those guys learn how to organize crap better.

Is there by chance a legit 'trainer' out there that could make you full health/ammo from a single keypress? Sometimes I hunt those down when in a pickle like that because a game is being otherwise annoying about something.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

FYI I was running AoE3 for Steam in a Wine wrapper, and I was surprised to find that it put the saved files in my Mac Steam folder. I'm guessing that was Wine being clever? But surely you aren't running Serious Sam 3 in a wrapper?

I think Frigidman has the right idea. You can't have been the first person this happened to. Google for the complaints, see if there's an ammo cheat code or some other workaround out there.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:00 PM

It's probably some console command.  I'll look it up, but meanwhile I started the level over again and got a lot more monsters killed before the boss fight, went into it full health, armor and ammo so I was able to take the rocket boss out with the pistol.  Having a few extra monsters in there actually helped because his back was turned to you while he killed them and it gave me a sweet window into his baby's soft spot.  It's directly behind his head between his shoulder blades.  I still ended with 30 armor and 65 health and about 20 shotgun shells down.  The bums didn't let me stick around to collect armor, health and ammo.   They just injected me into the next level and made me grovel for it.

And no, no wrappers involved, I'm running it natively in Windows or OS X.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:23 AM

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Put a sock in it!"

Has to be the best line ever uttered in a video game.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

Those bomb guys need to be funneled through a doorway during a mass charge so they are dense enough to set each other off.  I've gotten at least a dozen of them with 2 pistol shots a number of times.  Very satisfying but nothing much left to put a sock in.  I wonder where the "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" is coming from anyway, those guys have been decapitated.  Slowly the word "wazoo" formed in my mind, but such clarity and timber.  I'm impressed.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

"AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHAHAHAHHAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,

Uh oh"

-Fm [1oM7]