#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

Valve will leave the last 0.07% of Steam users on Snow Leopard (according to the current Steam Hardware survey) behind, and stop supporting any OS X version before 10.7. In the current beta, these new requirements are already in place, and the corresponding release version will likely be out in November.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

Well that sucks.  Snow Leopard was one of the most stable platforms I've encountered in OS X.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Hmm, but does that mean the current steam wont simply continue to run as is ? They are just going to flat out lock out all of steams functionality and use entirely because 'hay you cant upgrade to the new steam, so frak off' ?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 26 September 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Hmm, but does that mean the current steam wont simply continue to run as is ? They are just going to flat out lock out all of steams functionality and use entirely because 'hay you cant upgrade to the new steam, so frak off' ?
If it's like when they dropped support for Leopard, it probably will stop working completely. You might get around that – at least for a while – by completely preventing Steam from connecting to the internet, but sooner or later you might no longer be able to use it.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:13 PM

Great, something else we will need to hear customers bitching about on steam. Bad enough there is so much hate from customers already!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Considering that a decent amount of mac publishers look to steam as the way to sell their ports/games, this doesn't sound like the best idea for valve to make.
What is a man?

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:47 PM

View PostIchigo27, on 26 September 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Considering that a decent amount of mac publishers look to steam as the way to sell their ports/games, this doesn't sound like the best idea for valve to make.
Considering that only a single digit percentage of Steam users on OS X use Snow Leopard, and considering that almost no recently released  game still runs under 10.6, I don't have the impression ending support for SL will really hurt Valve (or the Mac publishers).

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

Well in all fairness though, most the general public out there upgrade their OSX without thinking about it. Its those on 10.6.8 who are still grasping onto what was once a great nation, er, operating system, and only hang on because they dream the good ole days will somehow come back, but they never will. At least we have our 10.6.8 !!!

-Fm [1oM7]

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:49 PM

Gawd darned. I run SL on my laptop, and Civ 4 from Steam is the only game I play on it, on the go. MGS needs a sale on that one then.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#10 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

Does Civ 4 run sans-steam though even though it was installed with steam? I know a lot of mac games do and dont.

But buying from MGS wont help... http://www.macgamest...ivilization-IV/ ... aspyr made that steam-required.

-Fm [1oM7]

#11 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:04 AM

What Macs supporting 10.6 cannot run 10.7? I'm thinking of the 32-bit Macs. If you have a more recent Mac, you can upgrade, provided 10.7 is still available somewhere.
If your Mac came with 10.5+, it probably supports 10.11.

#12 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:22 AM

Even 2006 machines can generally run 10.7, which itself is no longer supported by Apple for security updates so we are talking nearly a decade old machines in most cases that really can't update.

It's only really going to effect anyone who won't update because either they still need to run a PowerPC app with Rosetta (or something that broke with later versions) or they dislike later versions of the OS but in reality most recent games require later versions of the OS anyway for the more recent graphical features to be possible.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

Its not about what supports a higher OS, the issue here is that beginning with 10.7, OSX went to popsnizzle and removed the ability to run PPC apps (as mattw mentioned).

Amazingly though, there are still thousands of games out there that run on 10.6.8, and not every 10.6.8 owner has thousands of games. So they have plenty to choose from still, and do so, MGS stats show a consistent 8% from 10.6.8 owners. Sure, its a low number, but its a number on the scale.

10.7 and 10.8 have lower values because those people were on the upgrade train, and actually SHOULD update to at least 10.9 because 7/8 were both absolute sheeeeeeeet. Then that leaves the 'do I want the ugly as heck 10.10? or stick with 10.9' argument.

I'm going to bet in a few years, there will be a lot of 10.9 hold outs wanting the older style UI vs the kindergarten UI of 10.10+ (unless apple makes some changes in 12, or whatever).

But for me? I keep holding out hoping a new OSX comes along that actually makes me want to upgrade. Hasn't happened yet.

-Fm [1oM7]

#14 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:27 PM

Let Snow Leopard die, i can't believe users especially gamers are not on 10.10. Soon many features problems they didn't try.
Also from 10.7 on we get much more performance in 3D gaming.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#15 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

Maybe this means they will finally replace the Snow Leopard-style stoplight buttons. :D

#16 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 26 September 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

Does Civ 4 run sans-steam though even though it was installed with steam? I know a lot of mac games do and dont.

But buying from MGS wont help... http://www.macgamest...ivilization-IV/ ... aspyr made that steam-required.
Gawd double darned. Oh well, I am getting a rev. B Macbook, when it comes out. That can run it for sure.

View Postjeannot, on 27 September 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

What Macs supporting 10.6 cannot run 10.7? I'm thinking of the 32-bit Macs. If you have a more recent Mac, you can upgrade, provided 10.7 is still available somewhere.
If your Mac came with 10.5+, it probably supports 10.11.
Early MBPs could only support up to 10.7, and since Lion was such a huge step back, I keep Snow Leopard on it.

View PostFrigidman™, on 27 September 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

Its not about what supports a higher OS, the issue here is that beginning with 10.7, OSX went to popsnizzle and removed the ability to run PPC apps (as mattw mentioned).
PPC support went out the window with 10.6, not 10.7.

But for me? I keep holding out hoping a new OSX comes along that actually makes me want to upgrade. Hasn't happened yet.
El Capitan has the potential to become the new Snow Yosemite, so it might soon be time. Snow Leopard was also bad the first couple of 10.6.x releases.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 27 September 2015 - 01:48 PM, said:

PPC support went out the window with 10.6, not 10.7
Rosetta had become optional with Snow Leopard, but it was completely removed only with Lion.

#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3783 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

Ah yes, I messed up!

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, cause I still use a couple PPC only apps almost weekly on my 10.6.8 ;) May take me awhile to finally replace those with something else that Doesn't Suck™, but finding such new apps in the mess that is MAS... well... I have other things to do, like peel paint while it watches me.

-Fm [1oM7]

#20 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 27 September 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

Yeah, cause I still use a couple PPC only apps almost weekly on my 10.6.8 ;) May take me awhile to finally replace those with something else that Doesn't Suck™, but finding such new apps in the mess that is MAS... well... I have other things to do, like peel paint while it watches me.

Maybe we can help. What are the apps? Luckily, there is a world outside the MAS...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steam, Snow Leopard, Dodo