9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

For a while now Nvidia has been offering GPU drivers for the Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009), Mac Pro 3,1 (2008).

Their newest drivers for Kepler and Maxwell GPUs are also supported in a beta version on iMac & MacBook Pro from 2012 onwards, running OS X v10.10.5.

More here: http://blogs.nvidia..../31/mac-driver/
and here: http://www.nvidia.co...spx/89538/en-us

I always liked the convenience of not having to care about graphics drivers on OS X.
Is anyone using those drivers on those Macs already?
Does anyone know if Feral and Aspyr are supporting those drivers too?

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

Those drivers are being used by people to play Metro 2033 redux with success according to reports on Steam. I haven't bothered to try them myself and with El Capitan days away I figure it is better to wait until that releases before bothering anyway.

It is very nice how you can change back and forth between the web driver and the Apple default system driver with a system preferences choice and once installed it will also keep the web driver updated. So I do plan on installing it where it is simple to change it if I encounter any issues.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

The beta web drivers work just fine on El Cap. I don't know if Aspyr or Feral officially supports it, but I need to use the driver to make my 970 supported in OS X. Haven't had any issues with games.

#4 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:22 AM

I might try them, once they support El Capitan and are out of Beta for my Mac.

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

Worth a shot, particularly if you can switch back and forth.

Kinda wish I hadn't deleted AC:Brotherhood last week after it performed so poorly. Perhaps this would have helped..

Edit: A quick Spotlight search yielded the license code and the store, which turned out to be MGS 4 years ago. Guess I'll reinstall it. (Its still weird to me that downloading and installing is faster nowadays than digging through piles of old games to find both the disc and the license code.)

Anyway, thanks for the drivers tip!
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#6 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

AC: Brotherhood runs like crap with the latest Nvidia Web Driver installed (on a 4 GB GeForce 970) in OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. I would have liked to finally play that game after the Steam version never worked on any of my Macs. The MacGameStore version at least installs and opens up, but it's unplayable in the current state. I guess my purchase was just a 7$ donation to keep the IMG web servers running. A good cause.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostJan, on 27 September 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

AC: Brotherhood runs like crap with the latest Nvidia Web Driver installed (on a 4 GB GeForce 970) in OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.

Ah well. I won't get my hopes up then.

#8 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

I gave up on AC2 and Brotherhood on OS X completely myself after encountering issues trying to get them to run at all here. I installed AC2 in bootcamp and plan to play it there soon but at the moment Clive Barker's Jericho has my attention.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#9 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 27 September 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

I gave up on AC2 and Brotherhood on OS X completely myself after encountering issues trying to get them to run at all here. I installed AC2 in bootcamp and plan to play it there soon but at the moment Clive Barker's Jericho has my attention.

I've purchased Brotherhood two times: From Steam and the MacGameStore. Granted, both at a good sales price, but it's still wasted money if the game doesn't run at all (Steam) or like crap under 20 fps (MacGameStore) on pretty beefy hardware. On a late 2012 iMac with a GTX680M AC 2 ran very well and smooth. But I think this was on Mountain Lion and/or Mavericks.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#10 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:28 AM

Yeah, something changed with that game. I played all of AC2 plus about 30 minutes of Bortherhood on an inferior video card, and both were fine on lower settings. Pick it up a few years later, its not playable. Oh well.

Do AC3 or AC4 have any thriving cities to climb and explore? I loved that part. Pirates sounds fun, but I'm not sure the 17th or 18th century New World offers as much architecture.