8 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

This is a first for me but I've solved the problem and don't need help.  It started when I was playing Skyrim (arrows to the knee = 0), just running down a cobbled path and the game crashed back to Steam.  I restarted the game and it did it again in a different place.  I rebooted the OS, restarted Steam, launched Skyrim, only to have it happen again.  After another reboot I tried to start the game and got this error:  "Failed to initialize renderer.  Unknown error creating the renderer."

Steam was helpful, knew I had a problem and gave me to support options of which I selected forums doing a search.  Nobody reported my exact problem but I gleaned enough to suspect my GPU drivers were whacked.  I downloaded Catalyst from AMD and used it to download new drivers... problem solved.

Now the thing is I've never had anything ever blow out my video drivers.  OS9 didn't have protected memory like OS X so I've had system extensions step on one another there but I'm pretty sure Windows has protected memory.  Can a video game trash drivers in Windows?  I have a feeling it was just a coincidence of timing and the default Windows drivers were faulty to start with.  Is this the case or do some Windows apps step on other code?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

Well, I've been doing a lot of gaming on windows 7, and never really encountered a problem like that... BUT, until like last week. When a game I was trying out, had a bad memory leak, ran itself into the ground, and then fatally crashed itself. After I rebooted, my entire 'color profile space' was wacked. It was all washed out (much brighter than normal, on desktop and in other games). So something that game did when it crashed... screwed up the registry, or some dll somewhere. I dunno.

All I know is, the only way I think I fixed it, was to rollback to a system restore point (which luckily had run a few hours before I had begun playing that game! I lucked out there). And I had tried all manner of other things to fix it, even 'driver cleaning' my gpu drivers and reinstalling them fresh from nvidia. Only the system restore point worked.

BUT, this is the ONLY time I've ever had a problem that bad, where a game corrupted something at the system level.

Sounds like for you, Skyrim may have went balls up so bad that it took a registry setting with it (or left a registry setting askew), and just re-install the video drivers clean that up just fine.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

Unless...

Any chance the newly installed video drivers were a newer version? Maybe those errors were simply a driver problem with Skyrim that got fixed in a later version? Just a thought. Then again, Skyrim has been out for quite a while so that kind of assumes it had been a while since you'd done a driver update.

Anyway, this is what you people get playing games on inferior operating systems. I never see this stuff like this myself. Honest. I just read about it on the internet, like right here for example.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

I attribute it to the shake-down-cruise effect of operating something new while stressing it to the max.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

What version of Windows are you using?

Honestly, I had popsnizzle like this happen to me all the time under Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 (source of my WINDOWS SUCKS ragefest back in the day when I had enough and snapped). The latest thing was Creative drivers somehow got fraked up and no amount of clean uninstallation and reinstallation would fix it, and the problems even carried over to Windows 10 when I did the upgrade from 8.1. Like clockwork, every time I restarted or logged in, I got notified that something had blown up somewhere.

When I swapped my motherboard from a Maximus VI Impact to a Maximus VII Impact and switched to an M.2 PCIe SSD instead of M.2 SATA this January, I did a clean install of Windows 10. All of my problems stopped, and they have yet to return, with everything playing nicely. Two months and not one issue; this is a world record for my Windows experience.

Other criticisms of Windows 10 aside, it's been pretty Mac-like from the "it just works" standpoint instead of my standard screen-punching frustration fest that gaming on previous versions for the past four years has been.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:10 PM

I almost broke my knuckle on the screen of my fat mac back in the day.  I'm running the latest version of Windows 10, whatever that version is.  Nothing has happened since I reinstalled my driver, smooth as silk experience ever since the frak up.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

I mentioned elsewhere yesterday that I put Windows 10 back on here and the only issue I had was Apple not Microsoft related. There is a bug in the installation of Bootcamp 6 whether you use Apple's Software Updater in Win10 or you just download it directly. Reading on the Apple support forums people were making the solution a whole lot more difficult than it needed to be, messing with the registry and all kinds of other stuff. What goes wrong is a Realtek driver install that happens as part of the overall install script hangs up. All you have to do is once you notice the bootcamp install has been hung up for a while, open task manager and you'll find the realtek installer hung, kill it and the script finishes off the Bootcamp 6 install and good to go. Not complicated. I don't even have a Realtek chip in this iMac. That is probably the problem too. It runs and goes, huh??? Wha??? Huh??? What??? Loop... forever...

After a little initial cleanup of the start menu and task bar along with the typical installs for gaming I like Windows 10 fine. I even tried using Cortana but her bag of tricks seems a little limited. That might be me though. It was cool that she knew what I meant when I told her to fire up <whatever> and she'd do that for me. So I do have the "Hey Cortana" setting on. She did respond to me saying something to myself while poking around in my closet on the other side of this room which surprised me. Otherwise though, she's been well behaved. This makes me look forward to having Siri on OS X. It's pretty fun telling your computer what to do. With a little investment that can actually be a pretty cool feature in everyday use. Cortana performed very well recognition-wise despite the fact that I am just using built in mics at a distance with too much ambient noise and I did not bother to train her with my voice at all yet. Even in those adverse conditions she did well recognizing what I told her. With voice training I think her accuracy would improve significantly but I don't know yet how much effort Microsoft invested in that. I'll have to check it out soon.

Voice recognition software interests me a great deal because once upon a time I worked for Dragon Systems and was involved in working with IBM (Via Voice), Microsoft (Voice Pilot) and Apple (Mystery Project) that I'm sure was very early work on what would become Siri. I was most involved in our own software along with IBM's Via Voice which we developed for them and VoicePilot which we developed for Microsoft. I also spent a lot of time on VoiceTools which was a development library we sold for custom applications incorporating limited speech recognition such as kiosks, phone systems, etc. We had one engineer who's sole task was all things Apple but while I knew him well I knew very little of what he was up to and that was on purpose of course. Meantime, we were doing our own DragonDictate software and were about to launch the first version of Dragon Naturally Speaking which I think was the first continuous (vs discrete) speech recognition software released at retail. This was the best tech job I ever had. I loved working there. The company grew and changed though and then moved to the North Shore of Massachusetts. I opted to stage left at that point following the loss of the best boss I ever worked for but principally because I was not willing to uproot my kids who had just settled into a school system and made friends there which for one of them was not easy at first. She is still best friends with that same girl too. I am glad I did what I did, no regrets there putting them first.

Microsoft has come a long way with Windows and while I am not overly fond of the start menu it doesn't bother me either. I just ignore it and setup the task bar the way I would the Dock on OS X and don't need to visit that menu much anyway. I tend to use the search to fire up stuff otherwise like you would with spotlight and I may transition to just using Cortana for that, not that I'll be there all that much anyway. I remain very much a fan of all things Apple but I would not dislike playing games on Windows at all at this point. They've added a lot of nice little polish things and nice features to give Windows 10 a modern feel. It's kinda funny to not hate Windows now but I don't really. I just like OS X and the Apple ecosystem as a whole better.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#8 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 20 March 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

I almost broke my knuckle on the screen of my fat mac back in the day.  I'm running the latest version of Windows 10, whatever that version is.  Nothing has happened since I reinstalled my driver, smooth as silk experience ever since the frak up.

Could just be a dicked up driver, then. I don't follow AMD stuff since I'm on NVIDIA hardware, but I do recall some griping on reddit about the AMD catalyst drivers breaking a few weeks back. Perhaps that was related.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:37 PM

Well, September 25th was 5 months ago.  I just got spared from the fickle finger of fate on the more recent problem they experienced is all.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat