The true meaning of fear: Alien: Isolation™ - The Collection stalks on to Mac and Linux September 29

alien isolation sega fear 1979 feral steam MAS ripley

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

The true meaning of fear: Alien: Isolation™ - The Collection stalks on to Mac and Linux September 29

We are all living on borrowed time. On September 29, you will enter a desperate battle for survival when Alien: Isolation – The Collection for Mac and Linux is set loose on Steam.

[CONTINUED]

macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

Mmm, I love to be terrified. :o
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:51 AM

I will probably get this game. The CPU requirements are low enough for my aging Mac Pro. If they can port the game to Metal, if should run even better on my slow CPUs.
But there is no "Alien Isolation - The Collection" on Steam. The DLC can be purchased à la carte. Does it mean the game won't be SteamPlay?

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

View Postjeannot, on 26 September 2015 - 12:51 AM, said:

I will probably get this game. The CPU requirements are low enough for my aging Mac Pro. If they can port the game to Metal, if should run even better on my slow CPUs.
But there is no "Alien Isolation - The Collection" on Steam. The DLC can be purchased à la carte. Does it mean the game won't be SteamPlay?

I'm going to guess that by the time of release, there will be a GOTY kind of product entry. Either because of the release of the Mac/Lin version, or because it will just be about that time to re-release the game as GOTY.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

I loved the original movie, one of my Sci-fi icons.  However this is what I call a "cockroach game", where one plays the part of a cockroach scurrying out of the light, hiding when anything is near, and unable to confront the threat posed to it.  I can see how it would make a scary and challenging game, and I understand the attraction to such a game but man, this is just not my gaming or real-life reaction to things.  For me it has the same attraction as being locked in a shoulder width and head high tube with no O2 being supplied.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 26 September 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

I'm going to guess that by the time of release, there will be a GOTY kind of product entry. Either because of the release of the Mac/Lin version, or because it will just be about that time to re-release the game as GOTY.
This probably. I guess "The Collection" will technically be a renamed some earlier "limited edition" bundle that contains the pre-order DLC and the Season Pass. The Shadow of Mordor GotY was similar.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2477 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:16 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 26 September 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

I loved the original movie, one of my Sci-fi icons.  However this is what I call a "cockroach game", where one plays the part of a cockroach scurrying out of the light, hiding when anything is near, and unable to confront the threat posed to it.  I can see how it would make a scary and challenging game, and I understand the attraction to such a game but man, this is just not my gaming or real-life reaction to things.

I thought that, but then I remembered that I gravitate towards stealth play in games like Deus Ex. So maybe its not an absolute.

While I'd like to try this, horror is not my preferred genre. I had to be dragged to see pretty much every horror or suspense film I ever saw, including Alien. While i appreciate how good the movies are, there's only so much I can take. 2 hour movie, maybe; 20-30 hours of gameplay, maybe not.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

I kind of agree with tBC on this one. Although I do love a good stealth game, those still allow you to just ... get your freak on and start 'cleaning the area' so to speak, but quietly. However being stuck in a game world, where you are running away all the time, hiding, and being pretty much useless... those kind of games don't really grab me. I had tried one, that penumbra or whatever it was called. You couldn't do jack against the monster things, and even worse you couldnt do jack against DARKNESS itself! LoL. So that game may have made me loath the genre for all future games?

Alien does look pretty though, immersive, and beautiful cool.

But if I can't be a marine, just once... to have a little FUN ... I will be hard pressed to buy that game.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3813 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:45 PM

I look forward to playing this on my 50" TV. Or rather, convince my girlfriend that this should be her first computer game in 20 years. And then die laughing when she screams.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Finally, a non-Firaxis Feral port that I care about. It's been a while.

#11 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:56 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 September 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

Mmm, I love to be terrified. :o
I'm playing through SOMA right now. The atmosphere alone stresses me out, especially with my earbuds in!
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#12 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 27 September 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

I'm playing through SOMA right now. The atmosphere alone stresses me out, especially with my earbuds in!

I've heard that game is very good. I have it wish listed. I'm currently rebooting for Clive Barker's Jericho.

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

I mentioned this in the Feral thread, but the game has been delayed, unfortunately, due to some issue. No new release date, either.

Kind of weird it was delayed at the last minute. Hopefully it won't be too long.

#14 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

View PostCougar, on 29 September 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

I mentioned this in the Feral thread, but the game has been delayed, unfortunately, due to some issue. No new release date, either.

Kind of weird it was delayed at the last minute. Hopefully it won't be too long.
Hm, I originally suspected a last minute problem with El Capitain, but according to Feral, the problem affects both OS X and Linux, so it can't be that.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#15 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

I will have to settle for wearing diapers for SOMA only for now... double up later.

#16 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Depends for the win! Avoid embarrassment, accept no substitutions!

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17429 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

Gentlemen, save yourself a lot of embarrassment by going to your local hardware store and picking up a hose clamp.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 September 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

Gentlemen, save yourself a lot of embarrassment by going to your local hardware store and picking up a hose clamp.

That sir, is only a short term and incomplete solution.

#19 jeannot

jeannot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

Speaking of diapers.... Brad is changing his baby's diapers. https://twitter.com/hoserama99?lang=en
While there is a bug to solve!  
Priorities, Brad! Priorities! :moreangry:

:teehee:

#20 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

Feral just threw up a collection of related YouTube videos. Coincidence with a near release?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alien, isolation, sega, fear, 1979, feral, steam, MAS, ripley