The XcodeGhost Malware fiasco. Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

Recently I did hear about this. I'm surprised other users on here who use iOS devices on a regular daily basis didn't create a thread discussing this big issue.

http://www.macrumors...pps-apple-list/

On a side note, I heard there are more than 4000 official iOS apps effected by this. I guess this means apples is in damage control mode, still doesn't seem the current state of iOS is looking too good.
What is a man?

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:33 PM

Don't download Xcode from untrusted third parties? And then don't make angry bird ripoffs with that third party download of Xcode? I don't consider this an issue with iOS at all.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

There's a reason the FAQ is in Chinese, almost all apps compromised are made for the Chinese market, by Chinese developers. It's a matter of Apple's official downloads being slow as heck there for some reason. And that 4000 number sounds exaggerated, last I heard it was in the hundreds if that.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

Developers who downloads tools from a random third party site, and then disables Gatekeeper, and distributes software, should not be allowed to code.

Apple wont take a big hit, and since it only chinese software affected, and the fact that the malware doesnt steal much information, the news will likely die out quickly.

Apple does something magically so it wont happen again, and iOS is fine.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 24 September 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Developers who downloads tools from a random third party site, and then disables Gatekeeper, and distributes software, should not be allowed to code.

Apple wont take a big hit, and since it only chinese software affected, and the fact that the malware doesnt steal much information, the news will likely die out quickly.

Apple does something magically so it wont happen again, and iOS is fine.
Yeah, it's mainly a Chinese problem. The majority of affected apps were only available in China, except for a few dozens.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:01 AM

And as I understand it, the app didn't magically get access to private data like your contacts, credit cards, etc, any more than regular apps do. It could act like a botnet, though I'm not sure if that ability was ever used. And phishing could be a problem. Nonetheless, it feels like this was almost a good thing: a big enough problem to alert developers to change their ways, but not a catastrophe for Apple or most users.

Veracode principal solutions architect John Smith said that the attack challenged the notion that iOS was safer than Android.
"In recent years it has seemed that the problem of mobile malware was bigger for Android than for iOS," Smith said.
Yeah, and it still seems so, you media smurfette... I also see an article on the same site that the reason this attack worked is because developers hate Apple's GateKeeper. So apparently Apple is bad for letting this one through, but also for creating GateKeeper which prevents attacks like these. Any headline to get the reader's clicks, I guess.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 25 September 2015 - 05:01 AM, said:

Any headline to get the reader's clicks, I guess.

Nude Apple Employees Cause Piracy Threat Against Trump Haters

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 25 September 2015 - 05:01 AM, said:

Any headline to get the reader's clicks, I guess.

Wild Party Pictures of Regretful Drunken College Coeds Who Wish They Had Worn More.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

Snowden Reveals Obama Email Secret: He Lost Weight With Kardashian iPhone Hack
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#10 LadyZarjah

LadyZarjah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Chronically Hungover Combative Feline Reveals How To Get The Most Out Of Your Remaining 3.2 Lives
Ran out cake years go... never stopped trying.

#11 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

Whoa. I was reading this thread about stupid Chinese apps that suck and the next thing I know everyone went crazy talking random stuff.

Next time people, stay away from the Chinese software!

Chinese food is okay though. It is good for you.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell