9 replies to this topic

#1 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

Just an FYI as I just got burned on this.
If you upgrade your iPhone to iOS 9, that will require iTunes 12.3 to Sync.
And 12.3 wont run on SL.
So those of us still running SL can no longer Sync the phone with iTunes on a computer.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Good catch.

I will stick with iOS 8 on my iPod Touch then for the forseable future.

Not that I liked 'syncing' with my Mac, because it was all amounts of the most retarded syncing setup I have ever come across (seriously Apple, how hard is it to manage files?!?!).

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

To be honest, I don't think you miss much when you stick to iOS 8: the new features you get on older devices aren't that great, and I haven't seen much improvements in stability, performance and bugs.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

The only reason I did the upgrade is the pending arrival of a 6s, otherwise I see little magical about iOS9 on a 5.
Unfortunately, I see the whole thing as part of a pattern: if i want to update my phone, I'm forced to upgrade iTunes, and the only way to upgrade iTunes on my 2006 Mac Pro, which still runs great, is to kick in $3k for a new computer. Honestly, how much effort would it take for Apple to make Sync backwards compatible on iTunes 12.3? One can' t help but think it's intentional.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

I cannot understand why they never just made a REAL Sync utility. Why did they dog pile it all into iTunes?! What does Apps and Photos, and Movies, and Calendars, Contacts, Mail, all gotta do with TUNES ? hehe.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

Having been completely assimilated, I just accept updates when prompted without thinking. I just do what Apple commands me to do. That included installing iOS 9 on an iPhone 4s.

I know what you're thinking... what a mistake!

Nope. Not really. It's more a neutral kind of thing. It is working the same. It isn't slower. It isn't faster. I haven't noticed a change in battery life one way or the other. I don't talk to proactive is it, Siri much other than for laughs once in a while. I think the only new thing I noticed at all was some news thingy but I haven't opened that so I wouldn't know for sure if I might like it. I guess if I am bored somewhere sometime maybe I will check it out but probably I would opt for the one game on there instead, Plants vs Zombies or else checking Dark Sky for the weather. Plus I like to spam my sister with texts about trivia when I have time to kill so I don't really need to know what is going on in the world for that.

The phone still works good. So I'm pretty happy with it.

View PostFrigidman™, on 21 September 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

I cannot understand why they never just made a REAL Sync utility. Why did they dog pile it all into iTunes?! What does Apps and Photos, and Movies, and Calendars, Contacts, Mail, all gotta do with TUNES ? hehe.

iTunes... one app to rule them all. :P
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 21 September 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

iTunes... one app to rule them all. :P

But then why does it not have tabs for iPhoto, and iCal, and iMovie, and ... why all these apps that cant sync right either! ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 21 September 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

To be honest, I don't think you miss much when you stick to iOS 8: the new features you get on older devices aren't that great, and I haven't seen much improvements in stability, performance and bugs.

Content. Blockers.

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1575 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

View PostFrigidman™, on 21 September 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

But then why does it not have tabs for iPhoto, and iCal, and iMovie, and ... why all these apps that cant sync right either! ;)

What are these iCal and iPhoto apps you speak of?

Ours is not to question why. They would be there if it was best for us but since they are not that must not be best for us.

Oh, ye of little faith.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#10 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3813 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 25 September 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

What are these iCal and iPhoto apps you speak of?
Shh. Frigidman is almost as old as tBC. He easily forgets.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter