Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 19 September 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

So you reinstall Steam in each wrapper for each game in turn?

I just do this for wrappers that aren't made to install Steam themselves, in other words wrappers that at the end of their setup open a dialog for you to select a DRM-free GOG installer or whatever. I cancel those dialogs out and then use Wineskin/Winetricks to put Steam in that wrapper, etc. I don't reinstall Steam in any wrapper that already installs it for you.

Thanks for the info on VMware. Considering my feelings about Parallels, I might give that free trial a spin after El Capitan is out for a while and see what I think of it. It would be sweet if it can import Parallels virtual machines. I would expect it probably can. I recall reading you can do that even with VirtualBox not that I would try that for gaming.

I'd only run older stuff in a VM anyway where odds tend to be good the game will run fine as it wouldn't be demanding, would only need DirectX 9, etc. I had great luck using them for that.

CORRECTION: I screwed up about Age of Empires III. I thought I'd seen it on PlayOnMac but I was wrong when I checked tonight. So I reviewed what is involved to get this one running on AppDB which turns out to be a little involved. It's done now and Steam is downloading the game in a Wineskin wrapper I've made up with the various stuff called for. I'll report back here when I have finished installing it and given it a test run. One thing that is reported as a limitation is that shaders have to be set to low as this setting uses DirectX 9 and any higher setting apparently relies on DirectX 10.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#22 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:15 PM

Hey Matt, I sent you a message about getting the working wrapper to you somehow. It works like a charm!
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#23 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 20 September 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

Hey Matt, I sent you a message about getting the working wrapper to you somehow. It works like a charm!
I'm impressed! Hope it works as well for me. Taking this conversation to PMs..
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.