halomd tournament

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 halomd

halomd

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

I have not hosted a tournament in a while on HaloMD so I figured I would see if anyone would be interested in joining.

Just like last time there will be a cash prize to the winner. The tournament is free to enter!

Our last winner was "2highforlife" and won $250 in prize money.

If anyone is interested then let me know by commenting on this thread.

#2 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:05 PM

HaloMD is awesome. I didn't know it existed until now. I would suck too badly to be in any tournament but I may hop into some matches and see if I can improve.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

What is HaloMD? Per googling, it is the Halo demo experience, which I am not sure what means.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#4 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 11 September 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

What is HaloMD? Per googling, it is the Halo demo experience, which I am not sure what means.

It is basically the Halo demo updated to run natively on modern OS X and featuring its brief single player element and multiplayer which supports mods and there are many that have been created for the multiplayer. Best of all for someone wanting native Halo multiplayer, it comes with its own separate server browser that will let you see games in progress and click a button to join one. If you lack the mod/maps being used in that multiplayer game it offers to download them for you so you can join.

It appears the community is small from when I took a look although there were several servers up with small populations of players on them and a few more that were empty but when I joined one of those, downloaded the mod it wanted (which was fast) and then entered the game in a matter of moments somebody else popped in and we killed each other for a bit before leaving. I tried it just prior to midnight EST yesterday so on a Thursday night. Maybe it is a little busier on the weekends or whatnot. In any event it is cool you could potentially get into some Halo multiplayer with this native version if desired.

Where I'd never heard or it before, I did run a scan on the download with Intego's Virus Barrier app and it came back clean.

It's too bad it isn't possible to add the assets from Halo PC for the full game experience but I don't think it is or there would be discussion of that on the its forums. Maybe there would be some legal issue with that also. I don't know.

I just did a web search for HaloMD to find its site and download it.

Oh, and as I recall the original Halo demo which this is featured an introductory single player level that was not in the full game. I might be wrong about that but I am pretty sure that is true. So it is cool to play that as such. When I tried this out last night it ran perfectly on OS X 10.10.5 but I did have to fool around and check a forums post to figure out how to get it to go full screen. I think the option was right in my face at startup and I just screwed up and missed it somehow. You get a dialog at startup that lets you set certain options such as resolution, AA, etc.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

I suspect halomd is a bot.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

What exactly is the idea of modding a demo instead of the full game? O_o I can understand if there's a really cool map that isn't available in the full game (I am looking at you Return to Castle Wolfenstein test - Most awesome map ever, and it wasn't in the full game!!).

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 September 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

I suspect halomd is a bot.
I suspect you are a bot. A reaaaally old one.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#7 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

Easier/less illegal/better access to the demo to doodle it up for modern operating systems?
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

I think it's simply that the demo can be freely distributed-- you can potentially get people who don't own the original to play.

(I don't think you can even buy Mac Halo any more.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

I've bought the Halo CD, but later when I heard it was PC only from there on, I lost interest in the franchise.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

Well there was never more than Halo and Halo 2 on PC anyway. One needs an Xbone for the full Masterchief experience.

I know I ran Halo with Wineskin and it required an old version of a crossover wine build to run well which Wineskin makes available. As for Halo 2, I think I had to run that in Windows 7 due to it's DirectX 10 requirement which was a joke for that old game and I always felt it was just a lame way to get PC gamers to buy Windows Vista as it was promoted as a DX10 title on Vista's launch. The game did not in any way "need" DirectX 10 to display original Xbox era graphics and it was not updated to make use of its features either so far as I could see. Typical evil empire conspiracy I tell you!

I loved the first two games in any event and I am tempted to get an Xbox One for the Mastercheif Collection which you can buy bundled with one.