65 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

I have my Mac booting into Windows 10 to play games.  A niece recommended Skyrim so I got it and I'm blown away by the Skyrim world.  I just spent half of today playing it.  Caught a lot of bugs, picked a lot of herbs and mushrooms.  Kilt me a buck, butchered it and sold the hide.  I stay off the roads and use my quest marker and map to guide me, I try to make a beeline to the objective and in the process have explored a LOT of beautiful and epic landscape.  The graphics are beautiful and everything played like butter.  Never any hint of slowdown with the game at it's highest relevant settings even when a stupid lot of things were happening at the same time.

It's like I died and went over to the kid next door.

I'm an Imperial which is like my favorite class the Paladin, with both combat and magic abilities.  Right now fire is shooting out one hand and lightening out of the other, it does that in the game too so the learning curve on that was minimal.  I have a nice sword, some armor, potions scrolls, and adventure in my heart.  

I need to find alchemy recipes, hear some tips on the game, and I'm interested in talking about it too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Steam Name:Rakden

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:55 PM

Imperial Scum, though I'm not sure the stormcloaks were much better. Kat cloaks for life.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#3 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:06 PM

It's kind of a bug but if you go to High Hrothgar you can sneak behind the meditating Greybeard and stab him a few times, hide when he stands up, stab him a few times, hide when he stands up. Rinse, repeat, 10 minutes later you have 100 sneak and THE WORLD IS YOUR ROUGISH PLAYGROUND.
IMG Discord Server | http://raptr.com/rakden | http://www.trueachie....com/Rakden.htm
Enterprise (MacPro 3,1): 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 14 GB RAM || Radeon 4870 || 480GB Crucial M500 + 2TB WD Black (Fusion Drive) || 144hz Asus Mon
Defiant (MacBookPro 9,1): Core i7 @ 2.3ghz || 8GB RAM || nVidia GT 650M 512MB || 512GB Toshiba SSD

#4 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:40 PM

I should just re-install that thing from scratch, and only apply the unofficial official patches for it. Cause anytime I try to add any of those graphic enhancers, the whole game runs like crap. I dont understand why people want a slideshow of realism, sacrificing all that gameplay fluidity. My skyrim install is so bunged up, I just need to wipe and start over.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

Skyrim is the one of the best games released in recent memory. Total sandbox world that lets you do whatever you want and has enough content to keep you occupied for dozens, if not hundreds, of hours.

When you are done with Skyrim you should checkout Fallout 3 tBC. It is made by the same people and has the same gameplay style - just in the fallout world instead of a fantasy world.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:26 PM

I haven't played any of them yet but I setup Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all with Wineskin and in cursory testing all of them seem to work fine here. Reports I read before doing it are that they all play well with Wine so hopefully I can skip reboots. I did actually spend a little time playing the start of Fallout 3 with high settings and I think native resolution and it was nice and smooth and ran perfectly. The only catch with both Fallout games and this has nothing to do with Wine but is the behavior in Windows as well, is the mouse acceleration I think it is was all screwed up out of the box and very annoying to a lot of people myself included. That is easily fixed in the game's config file though and the process I believe is documented on the relevant Steam forums for those two games.

So if you really hate rebooting and want to give that a shot, it isn't hard to do but if you have never used Wineskin there is a little learning curve at first, nothing serious in my opinion but I did need to spend a couple hours on the documentation and using it the first times which then made it a pretty simple affair to setup quite a number of games here successfully on my own rather than rely on other people's wrappers, etc. It's not magic. If a given game does have some quirks with Wine, they are nearly always old news and documented on the WineHQ AppDB web pages that are searchable by game name.

I just figured I'd toss that out there if you feel like a little added nerd adventure to go with your RPG adventure.

I made a little mistake above. I have played well over a hundred hours easily of Morrowind. I just haven't gotten to the others yet. While I was on a roll with Wineskin though, I bothered to get them all setup and backed up for when I have the time for them.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:24 PM

I second SneakySnakes reco of Fallout NV, it is quite good, varied, and futuristic RPG. Unforgivable in spots, but thats what makes it a good RPG!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

View Postmacdude22, on 08 September 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

Imperial Scum, though I'm not sure the stormcloaks were much better. Kat cloaks for life.

Well I'm going to join the Stormcloaks AND the Companions to fight for truth, justice, and the Skyrim way.

View Postmacdude22, on 08 September 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

It's kind of a bug but if you go to High Hrothgar you can sneak behind the meditating Greybeard and stab him a few times, hide when he stands up, stab him a few times, hide when he stands up. Rinse, repeat, 10 minutes later you have 100 sneak and THE WORLD IS YOUR ROUGISH PLAYGROUND.

Muah ha haaaaa, sounds like my kind of bug.  How far is he away from Riverwood?  I need some maps too, the overhead map is very obscured,

View PostFrigidman™, on 08 September 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

I should just re-install that thing from scratch, and only apply the unofficial official patches for it. Cause anytime I try to add any of those graphic enhancers, the whole game runs like crap. I dont understand why people want a slideshow of realism, sacrificing all that gameplay fluidity. My skyrim install is so bunged up, I just need to wipe and start over.

My niece said that the mods only frak up the game and she advised me not to use them.

View PostFrigidman™, on 08 September 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

I second SneakySnakes reco of Fallout NV, it is quite good, varied, and futuristic RPG. Unforgivable in spots, but thats what makes it a good RPG!

Fallout: New Vegas is on my recommended list already from my Windows games recommendations thread.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

Aaaaaand this is where all the thousands of mods step in.

They got mods for better maps, they got mods for better ui, they got mods that fix silly bugs like stabbin an old guy for ten minutes to level up, they got mods to do anything really.

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 08 September 2015 - 07:52 PM, said:

Skyrim is the one of the best games released in recent memory. Total sandbox world that lets you do whatever you want and has enough content to keep you occupied for dozens, if not hundreds, of hours.

When you are done with Skyrim you should checkout Fallout 3 tBC. It is made by the same people and has the same gameplay style - just in the fallout world instead of a fantasy world.

Fallout: New Vegas is on my recommended list already from my Windows games recommendations thread but thanks for the heads up anyway.

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 08 September 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

So if you really hate rebooting and want to give that a shot, it isn't hard to do but if you have never used Wineskin there is a little learning curve at first, nothing serious in my opinion but I did need to spend a couple hours on the documentation and using it the first times which then made it a pretty simple affair to setup quite a number of games here successfully on my own rather than rely on other people's wrappers, etc. It's not magic. If a given game does have some quirks with Wine, they are nearly always old news and documented on the WineHQ AppDB web pages that are searchable by game name.

I don't have the same problem with rebooting as others seem to.  It only takes a moment to reboot from a SSHD to a SSD as well as back again.  One of the reasons I didn't use WINE is I heard very little good about gaming on it and lots of complaints when a Mac game is ported using Wine or Transgaming. This way I can avoid the quirky and slow emulators and play it native.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:50 AM

I'm very mod light. I only run a couple mods to fix horse speed and potion weight and deconstruct pots into materials. I tend to be a purist. I'll have to look exactly when I get home but I only subscribed to 4 mods I think in steam workshop. There are more mods at Nexus (I have a lifetime account) but I'm rurl lazy and steam workshop subscriptions real easy for my ultra lazu ass.

Maps baby

http://tamrielma.ps/skyrim/

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 09 September 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

This is absolutely perfect and I'd be very grateful if I hadn't found the exact same thing earlier today.  So thanks and a tip of the hat anyway for the link.

Right now I'm in Mage school running some errands and I'm learning a little more about the mechanics of the game, which is absolutely huge and complex with many layers of detail.  Hats off to these guys for doing such a bang up job.  Now I'm sorry I told all you RPG guys that were are a bunch of cruddy little fools, and all the wedgies, pantsing, and shoving into the girl's lavatory will stop now.

BTW, I've got Serious Sam 3 on my Mac Game store wish list.  Skyrim is very interesting but sometimes it is a bit slow with lots of Lord of the Rings hiking so during those moments I need something like SS3 to slake my carnal instincts... carnal as in "carnage".  

Also wanted to know about horses.  Is buying a horse a one time ride or do you keep in the game as long as you want?  Like will it hang around if you go into a mine or other map travel place?  I take it that like everything else in the game the horse can die, though I've never tried to kill one.  Is this true?  See I don't want to blow 10 clams on petty investment.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 September 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

I don't have the same problem with rebooting as others seem to.  It only takes a moment to reboot from a SSHD to a SSD as well as back again.  One of the reasons I didn't use WINE is I heard very little good about gaming on it and lots of complaints when a Mac game is ported using Wine or Transgaming. This way I can avoid the quirky and slow emulators and play it native.

Yeah, if I had those kind of disks I wouldn't mind it either I'm sure. I'd never bother with Wine or virtual machines both of which really are good options in a many cases but certainly nowhere near all, particularly the newer something is. Again though, with the kind of fast reboots you have I'd reboot always too. Why bother messing around when you can rapidly be in Windows and just run something native for best performance, etc.

As for Wine, I'll only do a self-made Wine port if it plays very well without issues. If I run into problems or compromise, I'll throw it out and reboot. It's just nice to avoid it when I can. I cannot say all of those games play perfectly in OS X using Wineskin until I play them start to finish but if it goes sour with any or all of them fortunately I can copy the save games from the Windows side to the appropriate folder in Windows and go from there to play them natively instead.

I find booting into Windows 10 isn't bad really. It comes up to useable desktop pretty quickly even on a 7200 RPM drive. OS X is another story though. Boot time is really painful on this disk from initial startup to waiting for everything to load up once the desktop appears. I really hope they did some work to improve that in El Capitan. That would be nice. I have a feeling that even a Fusion Drive which would not benefit a bootcamp Windows 10 install would so greatly improve OS X boot time that I might not mind rebooting so much. It's the return to OS X that I hate not really the boot into Windows which is painless by comparison on my system.

#14 nick68k

nick68k

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:08 PM

I used a W7 bootcamp for Skyrim back in the day. Enjoyed it a lot except for the constant stream of Microsoft updates begging for my attention and some weird Steam problem necessitating frequent reinstalls of the game. It's been a couple of years since I last played it; would be happy to see it ported over (Feral guys, nudge nudge).
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 September 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

I find booting into Windows 10 isn't bad really. It comes up to useable desktop pretty quickly even on a 7200 RPM drive. OS X is another story though. Boot time is really painful on this disk from initial startup to waiting for everything to load up once the desktop appears. I really hope they did some work to improve that in El Capitan. That would be nice. I have a feeling that even a Fusion Drive which would not benefit a bootcamp Windows 10 install would so greatly improve OS X boot time that I might not mind rebooting so much. It's the return to OS X that I hate not really the boot into Windows which is painless by comparison on my system.

I hear that, when I was first starting to Bootcamp the damn thing kept rebooting onto a 7200 RPM startup drive not my SSD.  Waiting for it to boot was excruciating, however OS X on an SSD is faster than Windows on a SSHD.  If I were you I would stop feeding one of your squabbling brood, I recommend the runt, and put that money into a TB SSHD.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 10 September 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

I have a feeling that even a Fusion Drive which would not benefit a bootcamp Windows 10 install would so greatly improve OS X boot time that I might not mind rebooting so much. It's the return to OS X that I hate not really the boot into Windows which is painless by comparison on my system.

The windows partition on a Fusion drive configuration is specifically created on the Mechanical Drive. If you boot camp a fusion drive you will get 0 SSD benefit. The data tiering with Fusion Drive only works on OS X.

Not that you have any choice on an iMac/Mini.

#17 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

View Postmacdude22, on 11 September 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

The windows partition on a Fusion drive configuration is specifically created on the Mechanical Drive. If you boot camp a fusion drive you will get 0 SSD benefit. The data tiering with Fusion Drive only works on OS X.

Not that you have any choice on an iMac/Mini.

Yeah, I did understand that which was why I noted it would not benefit a bootcamp Windows 10 install. Windows 10 does start pretty rapidly even on a 7200 RPM drive I find though when I go to play games there. This is probably helped by the fact that this install is bare bones for gaming and so there is nothing aside of Windows and Panda's free anti-virus firing up when Windows loads. On the Mac side, OS X boots are glacial and painful. I will often leave the room to go get a coffee or something during these as I can't stand sitting and staring at it. This is no doubt compounded by the fact that I do have various stuff starting in OS X aside of the operating system itself including a number of utilities reporting various info in the menu bar, a weather app that runs in the menu bar, DropBox, a reminder app for Day One that resides in the menu bar, etc. All this crap has to load too and while all of it is small it adds up I guess. Another thing I suspect slows down my boot times is loading the contents of the Launchpad database because I have seven full pages of pretty icons it loads up. The Dock has a bunch of stuff on it too and I suppose there again that all has to load. Any of these things by themselves shouldn't amount to much but taken together they make a bad scene worse no doubt.

I think on a Fusion though all this small stuff would be cached to the SSD portion of the drive in short order and load up very rapidly compared to what I am used to. Considering it is the reboots to OS X that really make me dislike rebooting to Windows on this iMac more than anything else, this is why I am guessing I would not mind nearly so much even with a fusion drive given its impact on OS X boot times potentially.

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

My TB fusion drive only cost 75 bucks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 macdude22

macdude22

Like, totally awesome.

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 12 September 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

My TB fusion drive only cost 75 bucks.

Your SSHD with 8GB of NAND cost 75 bucks. Segates algorithms are pretty good at caching the right stuff. Apple's Fusion drive pairs a 128GB or 256GB SSD with a mechanical drive and does some  data tiering that previously was the realm of expensive enterprise raids.

I wish seagate would start pairing 32-64GB of NAND on their SSHDs. 8GB is enough to cache an OS but 32-64 would be enough to cache a frequently played game or two. At least release a new model with the option.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

Still, starting from OS X 10.10.5 and booting into Windows 10 took 70 seconds, then booting back into OS X was another 50 seconds.  That's a two minute round trip.  Once I boot into Windows, I only have Steam, Firefox, and Skype installed.  When I boot into OS X I have my menu bar across the top of the monitor filled to the max with gewgaws and gimcracks that need to load up but as soon as I log in I have immediate access to everything.  No loading delays of anything I click on within spitting distance of when I booted up.  Buy the time my reflexes are doing something the OS is ready to go with it on both systems.  I feel no pain from dual booting with my setup.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat